I cant wear my own enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extensionten

Reaction score
I just did my conversion with Georgie (ezflow), and came back armed with new goodies.... :D
So, as I find it really hard to do my own nails anyway, I thought I wouldn't start with sculpting but have a go with some clear tips and glitter...
Did them and they were looking good. But then my own nails started lifting after only a few hours!!! I've had this before, when I was training and let them grow out and got them all healthy again.
After asking around (and emailing Georgie) looks like I cant wear them (over exposed).
So, far from "wowing" peeps into wanting my glittery nails, or sculpted tips by wearing them - I now have onycholisis.... looks blooming awful!!!!!
Any one else out there in a similar situation?
:cry:

Poor you........how have you managed to overexpose yourself?...are you ok working on other people or do you have to wear nitrile gloves now just in case you come into contact with the monomer.......

like I said I have no idea. The first time it happened was my second day at college when someone had a go at putting a tip and gel on my little finger... it lifted.
I have never had enhancements on before going to college ever!
Also, I have had v good training about over exposure, and I avoid touching anything... I clear up the dust immediately... I dont expose my self to risk of a reaction.... dont get it.
I can put peeps nails on no problem... I have NO reaction there at all. So, why do my nails lift when I have them put on me?
Baffles me.:irked:
Just wondered if any one had this themselves?
cheers for your reply by the way.:D

ADHESIVE!!!...If it is when you get tips applied and it is causing your own nail to lift from the nail bed......surely it must be the adhesive you are allergic too?...I am no Doctor Kildare and I don't want to diagnose...but this sounds quite likely......have you had sculpts put on ?....this could be the answer....once they have settled down again, obviously!!......worth a try!!

izzidoll said:
ADHESIVE!!!...If it is when you get tips applied and it is causing your own nail to lift from the nail bed......surely it must be the adhesive you are allergic too?...I am no Doctor Kildare and I don't want to diagnose...but this sounds quite likely......have you had sculpts put on ?....this could be the answer....once they have settled down again, obviously!!......worth a try!!

i'm with isabel on this one. i've seen this happen with one of our educators. she's great with sculpts but as soon as we get tips near her the problem starts!

:D
Cheers guys.

You know what! After logging off earlier, the baby went to sleep... I just couldn't resist trying out my sculpting.... I was looking at my nails thinking... yeah I know I shouldn't, but there is no one else to have a go on, and I'm gagging to try it out again (only just learnt it Monday as I said).

So, thinking just do your practice and take it off later tonight, I got on a did a very nice sculpt (imo). Pleased with myself, but waiting for that pulsing and the white to start creaping up further, I kept looking, but you know what!..... NOTHING else has happened! I can c cos I have the boogie nights glitter acrylic on and you can c through it. No throbbing either.

I've just come back on here to c if any one had replied.... and there you go!

I will take it off and have a damn good mani and we shall have another go v v soon!!!
CHEERS !! :wink2:

I have this problem. Unless your itchy and red, I don't think its anything to do with overexposure. I know that mine was caused by putting pressure on the nails. One of my nails in particular was badly prone to onycholysis (spelling?) and i think that where my own nail is attached to the nail bed its just weak, and because the enhancements are inflexible, as soon as i bang them or catch them or put pressure on them, the force causes my nail to lift off the bed because its just a weak bond. (I don't suppose changing the tyre on my bike helped!:cry: ). Also, i think once it happens, its weak for months after.

I only put nails on now for special occasions, and then soak them off after. It has taken me ages to grow out this one particular nail (about 4 months, everytime i got "there" i would catch it and it would go again) and the others aren't brilliant now either, the natural smile is a bit wiggly.

Toni Talons said:
I have this problem. Unless your itchy and red, I don't think its anything to do with overexposure. I know that mine was caused by putting pressure on the nails. One of my nails in particular was badly prone to onycholysis (spelling?) and i think that where my own nail is attached to the nail bed its just weak, and because the enhancements are inflexible, as soon as i bang them or catch them or put pressure on them, the force causes my nail to lift off the bed because its just a weak bond. (I don't suppose changing the tyre on my bike helped!:cry: ). Also, i think once it happens, its weak for months after.

I only put nails on now for special occasions, and then soak them off after. It has taken me ages to grow out this one particular nail (about 4 months, everytime i got "there" i would catch it and it would go again) and the others aren't brilliant now either, the natural smile is a bit wiggly.
Thanx, no, no itchy redness.... and they were only on my left hand as I cant yet do my right!! lol... and only on for a matter of hours! I will leave the sculpt on for a couple of days... then take it off... if its no worse then I'm guessing that it is defo the adhesive.
I want to sculpt anyway, so it's a great excuse to bin the tips! lol.
:D

I have an allergy to the adhesive but for some reason the resin does not effect me. So If I put tips on I use the Backscratchers resin to apply the tips and I dont get any problems. If I use adhesive, I get the itching, throbbing, followed by dry scaley skin and then eventually oncholiosis on some of the nail beds. Have just learn to live with this and work around it.

Latest posts

Back