I don't think it's possible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's shocking to me what has become of our industry.:(
Fast track - 'anyone can do in an afternoon'...... is, IMO, the root cause of the down grade from 'Professional' to 'service' industry.
Those of you with OTHER incomes - doing hair/beauty as a side line/hobby, .....Or those accepting 'cash only', with no intention of declaring your earnings to the Tax Man..........think for one minute about the rest of us, who have trained long and hard, who for them, this is a full time occupation.

The 'cost cutters' have devalued this as a profession, giving the customer a stick to beat us with....

Those offering a premium service, for a decent living wage, stay strong, ....the cream will always rise to the Top! :cool:
I agree, i have seen the same thing happening in other business niches. Ebay is also a killer...for example OPI gel polish (obviously supposed to be a professional product) is on there for cheap cheap prices and the lacquer for less than OPI sell it for in their trade account before ebay and paypal fees are even taken into account - of course they quite possibly are fake in many cases though not always as some have this irritating lost leader idea but all that does is train people to keep shopping on ebay not shop with you - sorry i know this is about spray tan not nails or ebay but my point is that regardless of the product or service etc people are sacrificing quality for price and loyalty these days and everyone in business seems to think the only way to attract custom is to be cheaper...its not and its that mentality which lowers the market value for everyone and means we all loose out. I for one won't work for pittance...i can sit and watch tv or ride my horse and loose money but i am certainly not slaving away for someone else. I know its hard but sometimes less is more and if you look at other ways in which you can be better or encourage loyalty then go for it. Think of these cheap folks as the local takeaway in town...Mcdonalds still trumps all!
The written word can often be misinterpreted, but it looks like I interpreted RED STAR's post differently. I didnt think she was aiming her comment at anyone specific on this thread, I think she is frustrated about (and I have to agree) people who have no previous training at all in the hair/beauty/nail industry, who work in a completely different area but decide to go on a half or full days cheap training, be it Tanning, lash Lifting, individual lash extensions, gel polish etc, as so many if them state you need no previous experience - and gain an "accredited" certificate at the end of it and then think they are ready to go out and perform these treatments on the general public. They often buy cheap, non-professional equipment/brands and charge ridiculously low prices because to them it's just a bit of extra pocket money. It's not their main income. We as professionals mustn't compare the service we offer to the one offered by these "techs" or try to compete with their low prices because it has a devastating effect on the whole industry! Unfortunately I am aware there are clients out there who really don't care as long as they're getting their tan or whatever, which is a shame because these "techs" probably aren't insured, may not do consultation cards or patch tests (as discussed in a previous thread) or give pre and after care advice. I say all this because I personally know of people like this and it really annoys me!

I think another problem we have with competing in this way is that we don't attract the "right" clients. If they are just out for a bargain, they are unlikely to be loyal, or even reliable enough to turn up for their treatment!
Absolutely, people seem to have the attitude that price is the only way to compete these days and it is destroying so many industries. I have had much involvement with business and it is a warzone out there right now! how low in price can we all go before we cannot go any lower, we are all charging the same and none of us are making any money. I feel it is better to justify why people should pay more and market than reason.

Well said! :cool:
I agree, i have seen the same thing happening in other business niches. Ebay is also a killer...for example OPI gel polish (obviously supposed to be a professional product) is on there for cheap cheap prices and the lacquer for less than OPI sell it for in their trade account before ebay and paypal fees are even taken into account - of course they quite possibly are fake in many cases though not always as some have this irritating lost leader idea but all that does is train people to keep shopping on ebay not shop with you - sorry i know this is about spray tan not nails or ebay but my point is that regardless of the product or service etc people are sacrificing quality for price and loyalty these days and everyone in business seems to think the only way to attract custom is to be cheaper...its not and its that mentality which lowers the market value for everyone and means we all loose out. I for one won't work for pittance...i can sit and watch tv or ride my horse and loose money but i am certainly not slaving away for someone else. I know its hard but sometimes less is more and if you look at other ways in which you can be better or encourage loyalty then go for it. Think of these cheap folks as the local takeaway in town...Mcdonalds still trumps all!

Absolutely, people seem to have the attitude that price is the only way to compete these days and it is destroying so many industries. I have had much involvement with business and it is a warzone out there right now! how low in price can we all go before we cannot go any lower, we are all charging the same and none of us are making any money. I feel it is better to justify why people should pay more and market than reason.

Well said! :cool:

Folk might take it personally.....but I can only say it as I see it!:cool:
We are ALL in sh*t street unless we recognize what is happening here....
Continue slashing prices to satisfy 'your clients'....and we are all in a race to the bottom!:oops:

We do loyalty cards on our website, the client has 5 spray tans and gets the 6th one free. Its an idea, ,might keep the clients loyal to you.

Folk might take it personally.....but I can only say it as I see it!:cool:
We are ALL in sh*t street unless we recognize what is happening here....
Continue slashing prices to satisfy 'your clients'....and we are all in a race to the bottom!:oops:
Absolutely! You are Soooo on the same page as me!

Latest posts

Back