I feel so disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000whiterose000

Reaction score
Hi...
I have completed my acrylic nail training in November and since I have done 7 clients. I take AGES.
I don't feel it's right for me to take about 2 hours to do acrylic nails, and all my clients want nail art so that's another 30 -60 mins.
So all together it’s 2.30-3 hours!
I normally take all in all 2.5 hours but today I did a glitter fade on top of acrylics and it took me 3 hours. What is wrong with me??
I just don't know if this is for me. It's embarrassing. How much can I speak to them and entertain them? I can tell they are getting tired and bored. I mean I love nails – I am obsessed – I dream and think about nails 24/7, but maybe I’m not cut out for it! :|

This is what I do:
1. Get the client to complete a consultation card (in the meantime I light a candle, put on music and set out my stuff)
2. Sanitise both our hands
3. Select tips and file the tips and nails to fit.
4. Rub cuticle remover all over the nail and use my cuticle pusher to get the entire cuticle off from the whole nail - I take ages here because i am paranoid that they will lift (2 of my first clients lifted).
5. File to remove shine
6. Scrub in dehydrator
7. Apply tips
8. Cut tips, shape and remove shine
9. Apply primer
10. Apply acrylic (I don't take ages but don't rush it, to get the right shape)
11. File and buff
Then I start the nail art, which atm is normally 2 coats polish + glitter + top coat + cuticle oil - this takes around 30 mins. Today took around an hour because I used 2 gel top coats...
For all this work I only charge £15 (as a new client offer) because I don’t have the confidence and don’t think it’s fair as a newbie to charge the full wack. If they are happy and return they can then pay the full price.

I don't know what to do... I had one client ask me on the phone how long it is going to be and couldn't believe it when I said 2-2.5 hours. She said she normally gets them done in 1.15 hours. Needless to say she didn’t book me.
Maybe someone could tell me how long they take each step and I will work on that?

I felt like this when I was first starting. I took about 3 and a half hours to complete a full set. It took me years to get confident to work on others and when I was approached about a job working in a salon I really didn't want to go for it because of my confidence and mainly because I was worried about my times! By this time I was down to about 2 and a half hours but 6 weeks in I managed to complete a full set in an hour and 45 minutes and that's my average time now for a full set. People would rather you take care and do the job properly so don't let it stop you from carrying on, we all started out the same in this industry! I've been in my job for 4 months now and I honestly never thought I'd actually get one doing what I love. I love my job and have confidence in my work and these are words I never thought I'd say! :)

I feel your pain white rose, like you I was painfully slow. I still not that fast 1h30 I would say without complex art though. I'm still not perfect and can improve. I've started practising each night on my hand trainer. Like the poster above I was scared to go into a salon, but it's a necessary evil to get better. You will improve with practice and sometimes it's good to work under pressure. Divide your treatment up Into sections I.e prep, tips, apply product, finishing, painting and art and then time yourself doing each section. Then think about how you can improve on each section.

If it helps I ask myself a few questions on each area of my prep and application:

Am I prepared?
Are my products out in front of me in order of which to be used?
(Prep can't be skimped on and it's just about practice to speed it up, why not practice removing cuticle etc on everyone you can, even on your own nails?)
Are you filing and blending effectively?
Practice filing techniques, holding the file and have a shaping routine. Use on tips and practice fingers or hands to practice on.
Practice your acrylic bead forming. Form beads of different sizes over and over again, practice smile lines on tips etc - if your application so is perfect you don't need to file so much thus speeding up your timing.
Don't worry about speeding up the art and painting, that's one thing clients won't mind you taking your time on.

It won't come easy but with practice and confidence you WILL improve!

Can i just ask what you mean by saying before applying the tip, you file it into shape to fit the nail? The tip should already fit the nail if the correct size is measured & applied

Can i just ask what you mean by saying before applying the tip, you file it into shape to fit the nail? The tip should already fit the nail if the correct size is measured & applied

I don't think I've had more than a handful of clients who have had tips fit their nails exactly without filing to fit before application.

If nails is your passion honey keep at it. We all start slow, we're all human and all on a learning curve. I was three hours to start and trust me I felt like giving up numerous times! It's worth it to keep going! If you want to chat my inbox is always open x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sorry I mean if side walls are not 100% fitted ie tip is slightly bigger. Normally doesn't happen more than one nail.
And file the free edge of the natural nail to fit well xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

One thing I notice you can do to speed up by a few minutes is do not fit the nails till you are ready to put them on... in other terms do all your prep work, then fit the nail and glue on as you go. It will save you 5-7 minutes. Because basically you are doing it twice. And aslo it is nice that you are giving ot a deal for first time clients. but remember that your time is money and if you are not charging enough you are not going to profit. I am sure your work is amazing. and it should be paid for!!! best of luck. if you wanna chat my inbox is open!!!

Hey I'm still new and it takes me an age to do a full set and I think it's fair to say the speed will come with experience! Prep before application is a huge chunk of my time however this is still key to me as lifting is the biggest challenge and got to nail that. I still spend a fair bit finish filing but this is where I have improved most since training in the summer. Rebalancing and infils take me almost as long and it is easy to pressurise ourselves as nail bar speed has set a precedent. Keep at it!! As others have said I try and focus on getting it right, and hope the speed will come over time!

Its how we all start , just believe in yourself and your confidence will grow hun and your time will get shorter . It took me nearly 3 hours at first and used to be terrified of a sculpted french now im 1hr 10 mins and have a good chat x

I don't do acrylics, I do gels but I can totally sympathise! After i first passes training it was taking me two hours to do just a simple set of overlays!! Once I got a prep order that suited me and my equipment in an order that made sense to me I literally dropped 30mins off. Try not to over think it - you know what to do and you will just find yourself automatically reaching for the next tool.

In the meantime just remember that 9 out of 10 would probably rather sit there for 3 hrs and leave with beautiful nails than have a 1hr rush job. I certainly would. Chin up and persevere 💕 xx

One way to speed up your time is also to get rid of tips and start sculpting!

One way to speed up your time is also to get rid of tips and start sculpting!

Thats true. Next thing I want to learn.

It's definitely the way to go. Just imagine how much time you'll knock off your time! Also no worrying about having the correct size of tip plus you'll save money as you wouldn't have to buy them. Great incentive!

It's definitely the way to go. Just imagine how much time you'll knock off your time! Also no worrying about having the correct size of tip plus you'll save money as you wouldn't have to buy them. Great incentive!

You're right, once I master overlays I will learn sculpting :) not sure why I've heard a lot of techs charge more for sculptured nails? Xx

I've never really noticed that.

If I were you I'd get myself on a course and get learning sculptured nails. No point wasting time. Good luck!

I'm doing my first tipped set with brisa lite tomorrow (and I'm cacking it because I've not done tips before)

I thought tips was supposed to be the easier/quicker option? (not necessarily the strongest one tho)

I've found tips to be fiddly and time consuming and once I mastered tipping I couldn't wait to learn how to do sculptured nails and I did the CND foundation course.

Good luck with your Brisa set of tips!

I've found tips to be fiddly and time consuming and once I mastered tipping I couldn't wait to learn how to do sculptured nails and I did the CND foundation course.

Thanks I normally do sculpting (since july) but this client wants tips this time she prefers them (her nails are so thin)

Me too! I need to master sculpting I much prefer the look of sculpted nails!

Did another set today, 3 hours :cry:
123.jpg

Latest posts

Back