I just have to tell you geeks about this! The most damaged nails I have ever seen.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

I saw a client today with the most damaged nails I have ever seen in my life, poor poor nails, I have actually taken some pics, but getting them from my mobile to my laptop is another matter! lol - I am desperately trying to work out how to get them on here....hopefully will post them when I can, until then all I can do is try and explain to you just how damaged these nails were :eek:

A lady came in to me yesterday and was quite cagy - wanted to book in for a soak off and a new set of gels (the client had about 5 acrylics left on)

Now, there was some polish on the enhancements and she had painted the nails that had come off, but I could see there was black / dark green / light greenies on a few of her nails. No probs I thought, soak off the rest, sanitise, lightly buff to try and remove some of the colouring and a new set with polish, wait for the greenies to grow out.......... oh how wrong I was.:eek:

She came in, sat down and told me all about her other tech....who shall remain nameless, but was from a salon I had never heard of (hair salon with one nail desk) Apparently she had been going there for 3 months, previous to this she had had Biosculpture on, and had got on great with it - but her tech moved away.

I removed the nail polish, soaked off the remaining acrylic and realised that this was a hell of alot more serious than I originally thought.....

Every single nail plate had separated from the nail upto about 2 mm away from her cuticle. They were literally flapping off. Under the nails, between the plate and the bed was dark green, black and light green marks.

I removed the acrylic (which was wayyy too long for her nails) and the polish. She was actually quite annoyed that I would NOT apply another set of enhancements!!!!:eek: Her natural nails underneath were actually really long, like the enhancements had been on for a number of months, I just could not beleive that this other technician had continued to infill, clearly seeing what was underneath everytime she took the polish off!! (clear acrylic with polish on top)

I told her that she needed to see her doctor asap, I cut down the remaining length on her natural nails, so as to make sure she didnt catch them and literally take them off one by one! I also retailled her some cuticle oil, and told her to come back in and see me after seeing the doc, with a note to say that further treatments (manicures ONLY) would be ok.....

I told her some of the reasons that this would have happened, i.e - nails too long, no hygiene in the salon she was visiting, over filing accross the natural nail / over blending of tips etc etc -

What would you geeks take as the next course of action? I am pretty stumped as to what to suggest - I am literally afraid that this poor lady will loose all her natural nails.

She was in tears when she actually saw just how much damage was done. She said she was in no pain at all - I find that so hard to beleive, I really do. One nail had a vertical split from the free edge up to her cuticle, and was just about attached on either side by about 2 - 3 mm.

Any help geeks? I been doing nails a while now - but I am honestly stumped here x

:cry: you poor thing !!! i know you wasnt expecting that i would have been well shocked too .
But you are proffesional enough to have dealt with it as best as you could :confused: well done
hopefully when shes seen he doctor you will have a loyal new client who recognises your expertise

:) xx

Hmm gonna stick my neck out here and say that the fault may not lie totally with the technician, after all we don't know how this lady looks after her nails. Although admittedly the greenies should not have been allowed to continue as they had. The onycholysis is probably down to her having them too long - now we don't know if that is the fault of the tech or the client, or both!

Obviously not seeing the nails it's hard to advise, but I think you did the right thing to remove them and cut them right down. She also needs to lavish solar oil on them and keep them short until the onycholysis is gone. I'm not sure that I would have sent her to a doctor, but like I say I haven't seen them. All they do is put someone on a course of tablets for months to get rid of the greenies when usually all is needed is a good scrubfresh over them and the stain grows out.

I think in cases like this you shouldn't ever alarm your client. Just act professional and let her know that in time you can nurse them back to good health with regular manicures and some good homecare. Not saying you didn't, but always keep calm in front of a client, even though inside you may be hopping mad!

I think you did very well..greenies underneath the plate are very stubborn and i do think they warrant a doctors visit..hopefully he will cut most of the lifted nail away for some oxygen to clear it up fast? She may be on meds that could cause the onycholysis, using her nails as tools,in contact with chemicals..i would say the tech has a part in it too, considering she has ignored this clients nail health?

Well done you for being so professional and doing your best for her. If she knows what's good for her she'll see the doc and your get a client for life...

I'm having 2nd thoughts about my training now "greenies" what are they? the mental picture is NOT good!

Given the circumstances with which you were presented, I think you did very well francesXXX tbh :hug:

I'm sorry but I do have to disagree here. Why would you send a client to the doctor who has greenies? All a doctor will probably do is diss the nail industry and tell her how fake nails are so terrible and LOSE you a client for life. Nope I would look after the client myself. Remove the nails as mentioned, scrubfresh liberally, safely buff off as much of the green stain as possible and recommend the next course of action in the salon. I really don't see the need for a doctor to get involved ... unless you can convince me otherwise.

I'm sorry but I do have to disagree here. Why would you send a client to the doctor who has greenies? All a doctor will probably do is diss the nail industry and tell her how fake nails are so terrible and LOSE you a client for life. Nope I would look after the client myself. Remove the nails as mentioned, scrubfresh liberally, safely buff off as much of the green stain as possible and recommend the next course of action in the salon. I really don't see the need for a doctor to get involved ... unless you can convince me otherwise.

Sass, maybe I didnt explain just how bad these nails were - the greenies were actually between the nail bed and the nail plate - There was no way I was going under there! :eek:And no way I ever would - She actually booked her next appt BEFORE leaving the salon, thanked me so much for my advice and care, and we agreed between us that regular manicures were the best way to go. We ended up having a real good chat, I definately gained a client. She even mentioned going to the doctors before I actually said a word - but I agreed and said I probably would have suggested that too.

The nails were even detatched at the side walls! Literally flapping off! I think it was worth advising her to see the doctor, even if I were to lose her, those nails were literally hanging on by a thread, with out the L&P on top, and I'm expecting her to come back with a few missing all together!

One or two greenies ON the nail plate, fair enough, I can see what you mean by not needing to see the doctor, but I was so worried as to what was actually under there! (need a pukey smiley!!LOL) x

Sounds like bruising under the nail plate there Fi. I was just cringing reading your description - gross!

One or two greenies ON the nail plate, fair enough, I can see what you mean by not needing to see the doctor, but I was so worried as to what was actually under there! (need a pukey smiley!!LOL) x

Fair enough - and where IS that pukey smiley?!!!! I know you are good at what you do francesXXX so I really was just curious why people would send clients to a doctor. I tend to refer serious cases to podiatrists (yep even for hands!!!) as they tend to be far better qualified in this area than doctors.

I think it was worth advising her to see the doctor, even if I were to lose her

Faye,i think the above quote say's a lot about you and your profession hun.

Faye,i think the above quote say's a lot about you and your profession hun.

I agree.... As nail techs we are NOT medically trained, always send to the Dr or Pod if your not sure, or you know somethings just 'not right'.

am i missing the point its not a green stain? its where the client has a fungul infection and the nail plate has lifted leaving a yellow greeny colour! due prob to her nails being too long banging and lifting, or a gap between tip and natural nail? i learnt this at college and from my knowledge best to use some fungex and nail strengthener till grown out! let me know..liz xxxx:green:

A greenie is not a fungal infection but a bacterial infection and so can be treated very differently. Have to say it was the very first thing I learned on here and made me question a lot of things that I was first taught.

Hi Geeks.

I saw a client today with the most damaged nails I have ever seen in my life, poor poor nails, I have actually taken some pics, but getting them from my mobile to my laptop is another matter! lol - I am desperately trying to work out how to get them on here....hopefully will post them when I can, until then all I can do is try and explain to you just how damaged these nails were :eek:

A lady came in to me yesterday and was quite cagy - wanted to book in for a soak off and a new set of gels (the client had about 5 acrylics left on)

Now, there was some polish on the enhancements and she had painted the nails that had come off, but I could see there was black / dark green / light greenies on a few of her nails. No probs I thought, soak off the rest, sanitise, lightly buff to try and remove some of the colouring and a new set with polish, wait for the greenies to grow out.......... oh how wrong I was.:eek:

She came in, sat down and told me all about her other tech....who shall remain nameless, but was from a salon I had never heard of (hair salon with one nail desk) Apparently she had been going there for 3 months, previous to this she had had Biosculpture on, and had got on great with it - but her tech moved away.

I removed the nail polish, soaked off the remaining acrylic and realised that this was a hell of alot more serious than I originally thought.....

Every single nail plate had separated from the nail upto about 2 mm away from her cuticle. They were literally flapping off. Under the nails, between the plate and the bed was dark green, black and light green marks.

I removed the acrylic (which was wayyy too long for her nails) and the polish. She was actually quite annoyed that I would NOT apply another set of enhancements!!!!:eek: Her natural nails underneath were actually really long, like the enhancements had been on for a number of months, I just could not beleive that this other technician had continued to infill, clearly seeing what was underneath everytime she took the polish off!! (clear acrylic with polish on top)

I told her that she needed to see her doctor asap, I cut down the remaining length on her natural nails, so as to make sure she didnt catch them and literally take them off one by one! I also retailled her some cuticle oil, and told her to come back in and see me after seeing the doc, with a note to say that further treatments (manicures ONLY) would be ok.....

I told her some of the reasons that this would have happened, i.e - nails too long, no hygiene in the salon she was visiting, over filing accross the natural nail / over blending of tips etc etc -

What would you geeks take as the next course of action? I am pretty stumped as to what to suggest - I am literally afraid that this poor lady will loose all her natural nails.

She was in tears when she actually saw just how much damage was done. She said she was in no pain at all - I find that so hard to beleive, I really do. One nail had a vertical split from the free edge up to her cuticle, and was just about attached on either side by about 2 - 3 mm.

Any help geeks? I been doing nails a while now - but I am honestly stumped here x
I believe you have done everything you can, and advising her to go to the doctor was the best advise you could have given her, a fellow technician had a similar experiance with a client that had come over from the states. She soaked off the nails and refused to apply another set, the client threatedned to sue!!! leaving the salon with the adivce to see medical attention, she soon returned with flowers and chocies!!! She caught the infection in time! Nearly lost her nails and if I can recall correctly, nearly resulted in septaceamia!!!!

I would definately wait for her to return with a doctors note. Honesty is the best policy!
I would also look at reporting the technician in question to the Health & Safety Officer at your local city council. :evil: Too many cowgirls/cowboys!!! giving good technicians a bad name!
Hope this help, new to Nail Geek! Fist timer!!!!:irked:

I had a lady just recently come in with same thing you are describing. She thought that is was normal for her nails to do that!:eek: It was the most damage I had ever seen! I had no clue what to do since she didn't live in this area, she was just visiting. I did tell her to get to her doctor ASAP. Wether she listened or not I do not know since she didn't seem to care. I think that you did the right thing.

Latest posts

Back