I know this is going to sound a strange question LOL

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
Here is a hypothetical situation - a company who offers courses and in their blurb it says that a training manual is included in the cost of the course. Fair enough, sounds good.

Now on said company's website they also sell the manuals.

Now if you did a course you would get a manual, so my confusion is why do they also sell them.

Would it be a fair assumption to make that they are also saying that you can buy said manual without doing the course - why would you?

I do not want any company names being mentioned on here as this is not a witch hunt, but just a question (any company names will be removed)

What assumptions would you guys come to based on this scenario?

My first thought is if I took the course, then somwhere down the road, lost my manual, I could purchase the manual w/o having to take the course again.

What I would like to see is the manual only being available to folks who have taken course. :)

Interesting question. I agree with deanosnana that the manuals should be only for qualified therapists/technicians but it does make me wonder if they are selling it to untrained people....
Rhiannon x

ive come across this very frequently, without naming names, (make up). i love learning so il always pay to go on courses rather than get the easy way out. If you've misplaced or whatever then yes it should be available. To outright buy i dont think is acceptable. on a side note know someone who had purchased hot stone video, and passed it off as training!

I agree its a good idea if you lost the one you got after doing the training you may want to replace.
Also maybe if you trained with another company but were not given one maybe you would purchase? but i do think they should only be sold to qualified therapists xx

Yes I agree, only should be sold to therapist if they were trained in the treatment/s, just a wee thought though, maybe the ones for sale are a more in depth version?? with more advanced information? xx

I also agree with what has already been said ... manuals should only be available to those who have undertaking training with said company, whether it be a replacement or an additional copy.

i wouldnt be very impressed to go on a course and not get a training manual :eek: i would be even more annoyed if i was asked to buy one !
its good if you lose one to be able to buy another if you have done the course though x

Presumably, if you took their course then you would also receive a certificate on completion which you wouldn't get if you simply used a manual on its own.

If a non qualified person purchased the manual with the intention of providing treatments, they wouldn't be able to purchase insurance very easily and certainly wouldn't get a job in a salon without appropriate certification.

I love having text books to read and refer to and if I saw a really detailed and well written manual, I would probably buy it.

if you have lost your manual then surely it wouldnt be a problem to re buy one anyway? I run courses and have had a few students lose their manuals. I sell them to them for a nominal charge, mainly to recover the printing and postage costs, nothing more. I dont sell my manuals to non students though.

tigi

It would depend of course on what the treatments were but let's face it anyone can buy ( or borrow from the library) many books on quite invasive treatments such as electrolysis without being qualified.

Also many of us like to keep up to date with the latest info even if we have been trained and qualified quite a while i.e. Marian Newmans new edition of her fab book was top of my wishlist although I can quote word for word the original lol.

I'm not saying it's right in this case, just my thoughts :hug:

How bizarre.......

I know when I bought a DVD to accompany a course I did years ago it was only available to people that attended the course....now anyone can buy it.

I don't think its right, I wouldn't sell my manuals to anyone period.

I did attend a course once arranged by a big professional organisation and the tutor was an Internationally known person who often appeared on TV. When we turned up to the 3 day course she said we could only have the manuals if we paid for them!

I know of a skincare brand who sell their manual, but I would imagine only to registered therapists / salons.

They have a particular minimum opening order but that is not enough to get you training. For example, if the min opening order is £500, you may have to buy a package for £1000 to get training (and manual) included.

If you only spend £500 you would be expected to pay for your manual on top. But training is not compulsory and to be honest for facials, unless they are cosmeceutical, I don't really think training is necessary. It's desirable and I would want to do it for sure. But if you are doing a traditional facial with reasonably simplistic products then the generic training you have received (VTCT or whatever) would be adequate.

I thought it may be to discourage people phoning up to ask for their manual to be replaced because they'd lost it or spilled something on it.

Depends what it's for really. A manual for a machine in the wrong hands would be an issue, but a manual for a manicure using a particular product range would cause no harm in the hands of a qualified manicurist

Latest posts

Back