I lease a station to do nails but salon owner wants me to run the salon for free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithfamily43

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well I hope you all can give me some feedback on typical salon etiquette. I lease a station in a salon where there are only 3 of us. I do nails and one other gal does hair and nails and then one other stylist. We all come and go as we need to because we rent our space. Here is the problem, the salon owner does not do hair or nails yet expects us to run the tanning beds. She only stops by the salon occasionally. A lot of days I am the only one working and people are constantly walking in wanting to tan. Then I have to leave my client and help the tanners. We do get a 10% commission if we sell a tanning package but it is not worth it for me to constantly have to stop what I am doing to help these customers. The phone rings off the hook with people wanting tanning appts. I book all my appts thru my own cell phone. Lots of times I have planned a lunch for myself and I cant leave because someone is in a tanning bed. This works ok when all of us girls are in the salon but not when we are alone. Even the tanners are frustrated because we dont have set hours. I told the owner yesterday that I cant take it any longer, that she needs to hire someone. Can you tell me how it is in your salon when you are renting a station? What is expected of you? I want to be a team player but feel taken advantage of.

I'm having a problem at the mo with renting too. But I'd say tell the salon owner you no linger want the commission and to run the tanning. If you all say this and if she doesn't change it she will be up the creek without a paddle and will have no choice but to either do it herself or hire someone to do it. If your renting s chair it is not your job to run the tanning too. X

Hi I booth rent as well, I think I even pay a lil higher rent just because it helps pay for a full time receptionist :) 9-5 tues-sat. It is so nice to have her do all the running around and answering the phone. I would not like if our salon owner tried to make us do extra work just because she us to lazy or cheap to hire a receptionist.

That is madness.

Your client is interrupted to take care of hers .. that is not good business for you and one day you will have a client who will be annoyed by the interrruptions on her appointment time and will not come back.

There should be a salon manager or a receptionist or she needs to limit the tanning beds open hours and come and man the desk herself in that time.

I absolutely would not leave my client to answer her phone or deal with her clients.

Jacqui xx

This is so wrong on many levels and I think you need to put your foot down and simply tell her you can not do it anymore.

Talk to the other girls in the salon and get them to say the same thing and tell the salon owner she has one week to find someone to do this job or do it herself but you guys are not doing it anymore.

Make her see what it would be like if the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure she wouldn't like being interrupted by your clients while she was busy with her own clients.

Something needs to be sorted ASAP, cause I agree with Jacqui, you could end up losing clients cause of this....and why should you?!?! Just cause of a selfish boss....I don't think so, it's wrong and it's got to change.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out. Knowing the results of threads like this does help others to learn from the same or similar situations.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will keep you posted on the final outcome. :biggrin:

I own a salon and I would never leave my nail tech alone to deal with such things! I am in all day every business day , even when I have no treatments booked I am there for walk ins and to answer the phone! We have alot of walk ins for waxing and tanning so she would never have time to do nails lol...I hope you get it sorted!

I own a salon and I would never leave my nail tech alone to deal with such things! I am in all day every business day , even when I have no treatments booked I am there for walk ins and to answer the phone! We have alot of walk ins for waxing and tanning so she would never have time to do nails lol...I hope you get it sorted!

The sound of a responsible salon owner! There should be more like you!

I used to rent tables a few years ago when I first began. My first salon was great and she had a receptionist and would always warn me in advance if there she not going to be in. This was rare but I didn't mind becuase she was a good caring boss.

The second salon boss expected the same as you, for us to leave our own clients when tanners came in. I told her being a renter, I pay for her to book my appointments and salon space and potential clients - I don't technically work for her and her clients are not always my clients.

Well we actually fell out over it and more and I left tbh! But that doesn't have to be the same outcome for you! At least you have said it to her! You are doing the right thing! Let us know what happens, gl! xxx

just dont answer the phone! if you book all your clients on your own phone answering the salon phone shouldn't affect your business?

also if that doesn't work lock the salon door then you wont have people coming in a out making you break off!

but i would also tell the salon owner, but just do it in a friendly way as she isn't there so she may not know this is happening or that its driving you crazy! but id also ask the other girls if it drives them crazy to? maybe ask the salon owner to come in and all sit down together and talk about it maybe recommend a receptionist or just that someone is there to deal with phone calls and clients (HER) xx

Latest posts

Back