I may be having an operation...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaO

Reaction score
...is this going to affect my chances of getting a job in a salon?:o I'm just a couple of weeks off qualifying and will be looking for work in the industry so right now I'm starting to write up CV's and cover letters and doing loads of research.
However on 23rd June I have a consultation up at the hospital to talk about possibly having my arm plates out and if I do have the operation obviously I'll need to have a bit of time off work, so is this going to affect my chances of getting employed?
If anyone can shed some light for me that'd be great! Thankyou!

Hiya
I think you should wait and see what your consultant says first and depending on what he says ask at your appointment all the benefits of having the plates in and out and if they were to be removed how long would you be off work. Ask Ask Ask and if your not sure Ask again

I would imagine if the plates were there to help the bones fuse after a break when you were younger they may stay in there, my son still has his some 10 years on. BUT everyone is different

I dont believe there is any harm in sending out your cv's etc after all its not long till you have your appointment and by the time someone gets back to you it may be in a months or so time and then theres the interview stage etc, be honest and open,

You will be fine:hug:

Ah thank you very much! I was going to wait until after the consultation but I'm getting impatient about getting myself out there now! I've already written up my new CV and have a few people reading over to see what they think of it.
I had the plates put in four years ago but recently I ended up in casualty with them because my arm swelled right up with an infection and an x-ray showed a lump on my bone right under the plate on the radius and the plate rubs it so there's a good chance they'll take them out.
I'd just like to be able to tell a prospective employer all the details if I am going to have the operation so maybe I'll wait until after and work on some covering letters for now.
Thank you for that though :) x

I'd just like to be able to tell a prospective employer all the details if I am going to have the operation

If you do this, you may hamper your chances at becoming gainfully employed as this will read that you are not adequately 'healthy' or 'able bodied' for the position. Yes, I know there are anti-discrimination laws in place etc but the reality is that if an employer suspects that you are not at your peak then they simply won't employ. And, at the end of the day, it's their choice based on their perception of you.

Apart from the fact that you are not obliged to disclose your medical history for a job such as this, if you have the operation and you recover there is no reason for disclosure either.

I'd concentrate on getting well first and stress out about the job later.

Be well.

Oh do you think? Im having an interview with a skincare company soon so will i need to mention that i could be out of action or sit tight until i know if im actually having the operation?
Thankyou for your help x

Latest posts

Back