i need help !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
hi i hope someone will help,
i rens space in a hair salon (not much space) just have a nail bar in the corner and i pay 40% and buy my product do you think this is to much ? the salon owner is a freind and i dont want things to be funny with us and am sure if i talk to her she will be ok with me i just thought i would ask you guys first to see what would be a good % to ask for

thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
I dont know for certain on this, but going on the fact that you say you rent 'a corner' 40% sounds an awful lot to be paying for the space.
Although shes a friend it seems as though she is using your rent to pay the majority of what she should be paying.
Personally I would say 25-30% but please dont quote me on that.
hth
xx

i work in a hair and beauty salon and keep 60% for myself, so same as u. i buy all my own products but they don't have a prob once in a blue moon if i use a colour of theirs that i dont have and they give me loads of money off hair colour etc and free blowdries!!

would be interested to see what others have to say on this subject - eventually when i have enough clients i'd like to pay 'rent' and keep all my earnings, but i don't have enough yet........it's been over a year, don't know how much longer i should give it :irked: xx

thanks, i think i would be happy at 25-30% :confused:

i do hair also on a 50/50 so i dont want to sound greedy but dont feel like i make that much money i only work 3 days and last week took over £300 on nails only but didnt even get £200 for my self i think £300 in rent for 3 days i could get my own salon :confused:

i do hair also on a 50/50 so i dont want to sound greedy but dont feel like i make that much money i only work 3 days and last week took over £300 on nails only but didnt even get £200 for my self i think £300 in rent for 3 days i could get my own salon :confused:

yeah I think you could too!
that is a lot of money for 3 days.

Last edited:
hi ste,

iI'm just seting up in a hair salon, i know i have a great deal, but i also think yours is too much.

I rent the whole of the upstairs for 25% i also get discount of my hair treatments as i give discount the staff on beauty.

hope you sort it out xx

hi i hope someone will help,
i rens space in a hair salon (not much space) just have a nail bar in the corner and i pay 40% and buy my product do you think this is to much ? the salon owner is a freind and i dont want things to be funny with us and am sure if i talk to her she will be ok with me i just thought i would ask you guys first to see what would be a good % to ask for

thanks for any help you can give.

mmm what does the 40% cover..is it rent,rates electric..generall repairs etc??...what % of space are you taking?

maybe you could turn it on its head and talk to the owner and maybe do a deal based on a % of your weekly takings...

ah well first Collin haw long does that bear do this for????? he he ...

but no really i would have a look at your weekly taking over a month and then maybe offer a weekly of monthly rate i think that would be more fair as you will prob use the same facilities and bills no matter how many clients if you are like me.. i have static hours and even if no clients i stay so i can take walk ins..HTH..H x

Hi, I really think it is upto you and your friend as to what suits you both!
There is a lot that goes into a salon ie all the bills, etc and do not come cheap.

Do they do the reception for you, wash the towels, supply the drinks, do the advertising, do you use there phone, maintain the items you rent, do they pat test the electric items you use, if you have the music on when on your own do they pay for the music license, do they supply the junior and this is only 1/2 the bills when running your own shop.

Is working 3 days your choice or theres' as if it is yours then me as a salon owner would look at it this way.
I could rent that space for 6 days, and if you worked on a % then I could double the money,but if it was quiet for 6 days I would take nothing.

I would see you renting the hairdressing chair, and the nail table as double rent, as a bussines if you are cutting someone hair and had to turn nails away that is down to you, as I could rent that table out to some one else for £50-£80 a week on it's own.

I could rent the hairdressing chair out for £80-£120 a week , but if you choose to work 1 or 6 of those days that is down to you, if you went on holiday I would still want my £80 - £120 per week, as it is dead space, and if you had no or little work I would still want my money.

I think there are pro's and con's to set fee's and % of earnings.

I could not rent that space out again around the day that you wanted.

This is not personal in any way :hug: but may be sit down and talk hun, that would be my first port of call, I am sure it could be sorted , but be careful not to shot yourself and end up paying out a rent every week if you are quiet a lot of the time, and the good weeks are far and few between:wink2:

Good Luck x

ah well first Collin haw long does that bear do this for????? he he ...

your right..he is a bit boring...this one is better but does get on your nerves a bit after a while :lol:

In terms of the posted question..there really isnt a fixed answer so probably best if you sit down with the salon owner...tell her how you feel and see if you can work out a deal that makes you both happy....if you are friendss then this type of discussion should be possible.
Either way..good luck with whatever you do :hug:

thanks mrsnailamilo.i understend what you saying :hug: i understand where the money goes, thay take bookings and provide drinks i am doing the adds i pay my own cc machine the space is not any bigger than the desk so very cramped all i wanted to know is do most of the geeks think 40% is ok as im not sure i have only bin at this salon 7/8 weeks may sound thick of me to say yes to go there, i know. thanks all still :confused:

Could I suggest that you would be happy to pay 40% up to a certain limit per day. That way, you work hard, you make more money! I personally pay a day rate now coz i initially started paying 30% up to £25 per day and now make that easily, I do only work 3 days in the salon but am flexible and will come in extra if needed. When it is really busy I can do up to six days and know that I am only gonna pay a maximum of £25 per day. When it is quieter I go down to three days again.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back