I need serious help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBH Salon

Reaction score
Hey Nail Geeks!! I’ve come over from the hair geeks! Ok so here is my problem, due to colouring hair, and other chemicals i come in contact with, I went for acrylic nails, i wanted them short and natural looking, very white thin tips, anyways I came out the salon looking like I had cement mix thrown on my nails! It was awful, the actual acrylic was so thick! and the white tips looked like a Barbie doll accessory! So I’ve heard of gels! but I’m unsure if i should get them, I don’t want to have to go through peeling them off again on my lunch break before my clients arrive haha, so what would you all recommend? Id like them to be short, natural looking and long lasting, thanks for the help! :D

Oh dear! Acrylics will be fine if you get someone decent to do them! I think you just had a dodgy nail tech by the sounds of it. If I'm going to wear extensions, I always go for acrylics as they seem to last longer for me (I'm a hairdresser too). Whereas I find the gels don't last so long with having my hands in & out of water. Also, if you've been picking your acrylics off, your nail bed is likely to be extremely damaged. Make sure you use Solar Oil (or other cuticle oil) to help repair the damage.

Oh Dear,

I am sorry you came out with "shovels" attached to your nails. Acrylics are supposed to look beautiful, sleek and elegant. Defenitely not clunky and thick. Why not have a look on here for nail geeks in your area and see if one of them can do your nails for you.

Don't pick them off as they can really damage your nails if not removed properly. The good news is that you can file them to the shape and length you want and also file some of the thickness down to a prettier finish. Dont file too much, you dont want to file through to the natural nail. You MUST leave some acrylic covering the nail. The thinner you file it the weaker the enhancement will be.

Why not go back to the salon and tell them you are unhappy and get them to remove them for you. You did not get what you paid for so they should at least remove them free of charge. I would most defenitely complain

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but dont give up on Acrylics as they do seem the more robust option for hairdressers, also another little tip... get your nails done at the end of your day off. That way you havent had your hands in water and chemicals throughout the day for your nails to absorb. Nails do absorb a fair amount of moisture which then dries out under the nail extension causing in some or most cases for the extensions to start lifting. This can be a problem for hairdressers and cleaners due the nature of their work

Thanks ladies!! You are stars!!! I will have a look on here for nail techs around my area! And ill go get myself some solar oil :) again thanks for the help! :D xx

Latest posts

Back