I need some new scissors and thinner - but need help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickchick

Reaction score
:irked: I have been looking around for a new SET as i have just finished up college and starting my first proper stylist position. I really like the look of these ***removed auction site URL***

has anyone got any input on these?? they are right in my price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
they look good, i agree, but buy scissors over the internet isn't the best idea. you need to hold the scissors in your hand to check the quality, the fit, the size, etc. try to get to a wholesaler or hair show.

also the hot pinks and the multi-coloured scissor look great, but the majority of the time they're just naff. i made the mistake of buying hot pink scissors, could only sharpen then once :(

:irked: I have been looking around for a new SET as i have just finished up college and starting my first proper stylist position. I really like the look of these

***removed auction site URL***

has anyone got any input on these?? they are right in my price range.

Hi, well I used to buy a few bits of nail art items from ebay when I was training,

but as other nail geeks have said and quite rightly too ,
its not really professional to buy any professional equipment that you will be using on paying clients once you have finished your training , as you will want only the best for your customers

they may look the same as other scisssors , but there has been a lot of people getting ripped off on ebay ,

so I wouldnt reccomend buying any of your professional items from ebay just incase they are cheap copys ,
there have been loads of GHDs copys recently flooding the market ,

also you really do need to feel the weight of any scissors you buy in your hand ,
just say you buy them and they dont feel good in your hand ?
or worse still they dont come,
or the lovely coating comes off and they go rusty ,

It's well worth knowing that if you buy them from a reputable professional comany they will be guaranteed for any defaults :)
Salons direct have great scissors that you can hold in your hands first in all different sizes and sallys ect ,
also
Jonathon from salon lines on here may be able to help you more
here is a link :) ghd hair Straighteners, T3 & Parlux Hairdryers, Nioxin Hair Products, Fake Bake from Salonlines.co.uk.,

Ps personally I dont really like those multi coloured ones (sorry but thats just me others may love them) ,
I like the Joewell or the Japanese bamboo shaped ones ,

but everyone is different and its your own personal choice :)
are you going for the slicy ones with the razor edges so you can do all different cuts with the one pair ?

I love getting new scissors its so exciting ,
good luck :)
and do let us know how you get on :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yall are awesum... i still cant decide though. i might just do it, they seem like a real good deal and i can just send them back if i don't like the feel.

try coolblades online store they really give good advice and can advise you on the best sellers for your ability . Ive heard theyre alot of counterfiet scissors out there so i would only buy from somewhere i trusted

Hi, I am happy to hear that you have landed a nice stylist position! well done :)
when you buy a pair of scissors, you really need to feel them on your hand. I think buying your first pair is THE decision. You need to feel your scissors to be in a good balance on your hand. They need to be light enought and also keep their sharpness well. On the purchase like this you don't want to go for the looks, you wanna see how they suite you. There is a HUGE difference when cutting with a quality scissors and the cheaper looking good scissors. I an convinced Joewell user and could recommend their range to you any day. You would have to pay more, but trust me, it pays back. You will feel more confident cutting, and they just glide on the hair as you want them to. Your good looking scissors might do that for the first few weeks, but after that the blade goes and you will need to send them to be sharpened more often.
If you do get a quality pari of scissors, the manufacturers ofted do have sharpening service too, so you will know that your scissors are kept inthe best of the conditions. I would say invest a bit more, this is your job, it is not a hobby any more.

Hi there, congrats on the new job.

I will have to say that I have these Thinning Scissors bought on ebay 3 years ago and they cost £20. When I was at college my tutor tried them as I said to her they are only cheap ones off ebay, she said they weren't cheap and liked them. I still use them now and have not had to sharpen them yet, so I can definitely recommend the thinning shears. I can't say anything about the Cutting scissors though, but I would imagine they will be as good.

Latest posts

Back