I want to master my facial knowledge-recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faylizzie

Reaction score
I feel I dont know enough about facials, I trained at college an just feel that the subject wasn't covered as indepthly as I'd like. I've spent the last few weeks reading through all my college notes an to be honest there's not a lot of theory and science in there. I want to master the facts and science behind facials as I really enjoy doing them. I'm looking at investing in a new facial brand at the moment and really want to know the ins an outs of everything there is to know about facials.

Can anyone recommend any books to read or a particular brand that does in-depth facial training that covers literally everything? Obviously I was taught the basics but since training in 2008 the facials I've done are very basic and more to relax than results driven.

Where should I start? I want to be able to help people with their skin as I've suffered so badly with mine I want the knowledge & products to help change people lives.

Thanks in advance :) xxxxxx

Hi lots of brands will teach you as part of taking on thier products.
They often go into the differing product ingredients and tell you what they are good for and what skin problems they can address too.

There are books on amazon too on different dermatology conditions and treatments and also looking online at different skin machines can increase your knowledge.
There's woods lamps, light therapy, skin needling, to name a few skin treatments as well as chemical peels.

The skin is the largest organ of the body so you can go as in depth as you like, even down to hair removal techniques, scar improvement etc etc.
Good luck

College facial training can be a bit vague as you're not being trained to use a specific product range and this is perhaps why the information at college can come across as a bit generalised.

Product training with a brand you want to use would probably be the way forward as I have always found product training for facial products to be fascinating and more detailed.

My college is having a dermalogica day & are a dermalogica college, does this mean we will get more in depth knowledge on facials? I know this brand is very expensive but are the results worth it?
Sorry for jumping on your thread here, good to hear you want to go the extra mile with clients though :)

As has been said, finding a brand that you love and then doing the training is probably your best way forward.

I took on environ skincare and spent a week doing their training - the science of the products and the results on the skin. They even have people train with them who haven't opened an account!

A lot of companies will offer you training, the hard work is finding the products you love!

Good luck x

I can recommend several books to help with this.
Skincare Beyond the Basics: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Lees: Books

Although frightfully badly written, which I found intensely distracting, there is an E book called advanced skin analysis by Florence Barrett Hill.
Advanced Skin Analysis Book
Be aware that it goes into great depth about analysis, but not about to treat the findings of that analysis.
I also recommend purchasing the following dictionary.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miladys-Cosmetic-Ingredients-Dictionary-Cosmetics/dp/1435480201

For electrical facials you simply can't beat Mo Rosser's book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Therapy-Facial-Work-Electrical/dp/144413745X

Having a strong grounding in skin A & P will help too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milady-Work...5&sr=1-1&keywords=Anatomy+and+physiology+skin

And yes, I have all of these and I use them every day.

Thanks for all the advice :) much appreciated! I got a few samples from pro beauty at the weekend so will try those out an email them regarding their training. In the meantime is their any particular books on facials that aren't really brand related that are a good informative read that you can recommend? Xxxxx

I can recommend several books to help with this.
Skincare Beyond the Basics: Amazon.co.uk: Mark Lees: Books

Although frightfully badly written, which I found intensely distracting, there is an E book called advanced skin analysis by Florence Barrett Hill.
Advanced Skin Analysis Book
Be aware that it goes into great depth about analysis, but not about to treat the findings of that analysis.
I also recommend purchasing the following dictionary.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miladys-Cosmetic-Ingredients-Dictionary-Cosmetics/dp/1435480201

For electrical facials you simply can't beat Mo Rosser's book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Therapy-Facial-Work-Electrical/dp/144413745X

Having a strong grounding in skin A & P will help too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milady-Work...5&sr=1-1&keywords=Anatomy+and+physiology+skin

And yes, I have all of these and I use them every day.

Wow thank you Lynn I will get ordering these to read through, I came to see you at the show and spoke to your lovely husband regarding your products, must say I absolutely love the eye slice samples they are incredible! Very impressed with them, you guys are one of the brands I'm looking at investing in too :) xxxxxx

If we can help in any way with your decision, even if you decide against our products please do ask.

If we can help in any way with your decision, even if you decide against our products please do ask.

Thank you, I have your email address on the comp slip I received in the sample bag so I'll send you an email with some questions regarding your products an training, thanks Lynn :) xxxxx

My college is having a dermalogica day & are a dermalogica college, does this mean we will get more in depth knowledge on facials? I know this brand is very expensive but are the results worth it?
Sorry for jumping on your thread here, good to hear you want to go the extra mile with clients though :)

It won't be full product training like what you'd get if you were using dermalogica at work but it's really fascinating in terms of the skin and a good intro to the products. If its the same as what I had at college you should get a certificate at the end of the day too.

Latest posts

Back