IBD Just Gel Polish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharyn

Reaction score
Tips and tricks?

I had my first removal and it didn't go well!
I used the OPI remover liquid and it just didn't really shift it well at all. First I used cotton wool and tin foil, then I switched to a bowl and soaking. After 30 mins soaking, a couple slid off nicely and the rest were terrible!

Would I be better to use the IBD remover? Or straight acetone?
I'm wondering if the other ingredients in the OPI remover make it less effective on gel. I've used it as it has a low odour and doesn't smell as chemically as acetone does... but happy to sacrifice that if I can get a faster, more reliable removal!

I'm going to earn the nickname of "Ms. Rough it up". :D Did you rough the surface a bit? Just a simple buffer to remove shine..that helps to break down the gel (and yes, there just are some gel polishes that need this).

If you did then my guess would be:

1. You need to try pure acetone.
2. How cold was in inside or was the acetone? The warmer the better.
3. If you did not rough before soaking, did you remove polish as time went on? Removing layers a little at a time?

Which OPI Remover did you use? Expert Touch (the purple one) seems to work well for me on IBD. IBD's top coat is a bit acetone resistant, so it helps to break the seal by buffing. Cold hands make for tough removals as well. Heat will also help, but heating acetone can be tricky and dangerous, so I recommend using a flax wrap while soaking. Also, try squirting in some extra remover halfway through to make sure the pad stays saturated throughout the soak off. Finally, check your application, a too thick application, especially of base coat, can make for difficult removals. Hope that helps.

I just use acetone on a lint free pad and wrap in tinfoil- leave for ten minutes and they just slide off :)

I agree with NancySid, I use the purple OPI expert touch remover with my IBD and it's the best one yet.

I file the top coat first and use cotton wool with foil and soak for approx 10-15 mins, works really well.

If you use IBD Power Bond you may need to soak an extra five minutes, sometimes it will remain on the nail plate but I just lightly buff it.

HTH

Okay, I didn't file the top coat, I filed around the free edges and broke the seal, and I gave the top coat a little swipe with a file, as I thought once a little broke through the rest would be okay.
I shall rough them up properly next time and actually take the shine off that top coat and see if it makes any difference.

It's summer here so pretty warm atm. And the OPI remover I have here is a peach labelled bottle. And I think designed more for acrylics which might be part of the problem.... I thought if it breaks down acrylic well (it's fab for acrylics!) surely it would work for gel, but maybe not!
Might pop up to the pharmacy up the road and grab a small bottle of acetone till my stock order arrives!

And the OPI remover I have here is a peach labelled bottle. And I think designed more for acrylics which might be part of the problem.... I thought if it breaks down acrylic well (it's fab for acrylics!) surely it would work for gel, but maybe not!
Might pop up to the pharmacy up the road and grab a small bottle of acetone till my stock order arrives!

Ah, that's probably the problem. The orange OPI Remover is acetone free and not very effective on gel polishes.

Last edited:
Yip definetly the remover, you need the purple OPI remover! I use it to remove all gel polish as its the best ive tried :lol:

ahhhh fab! You ladies are awesome!

I shall grab a small bottle of acetone from the pharmacy till my order arrives! Thank you so much!
I might look into whether we can get the purple bottle here.

Latest posts

Back