IBD with Gelish base/top, or using IBD system only?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acsmith

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm just getting started with SOG at home for myself and possibly my best friend. I will have a UV lamp, Gelish Base and TIO, and iBd polishes. I've never been able to keep polish on my nails until last year when I got a chance to try SOG. Loved it, been waiting to start ever since.

My questions: if I want to do a "water" effect, dropping clear gel into the second coat of color before it's cured, would you suggest I use iBd top coat or Gelish? If I were to use the iBd, I'm assuming i should cure it for the longer time? (depending on how much I use?) Also, which to use for attaching gems.
I ask, because blending wet with wet, it seems like I should stick with the same product line. I only ordered the Gelish, because of some poor reviews of the iBd base and top. But now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have ordered the iBd instead. Compare, and see which works best on my nails. Since my nails don't hold on to regular polish, I might also order some of the iBd power bond, but I will try without, first.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions. I'm somewhat housebound with limited income, and this has been something I've wanted to do for a while. I've spent the last several months (off and on) researching and watching training videos, which kept me motivated. I was able to put a little $ aside, but I need to keep my costs down. (Yet another reason for using the iBd for additional nail artwork instead of Gelish)
Please let me know your opinions. I understand your first response would be that I should seek a local professional to do my nails, but I want to create art myself on my own nails that lasts more than a day. Plus, hopefully, my health will improve, and I can seek training. In the meantime, I will practice and learn.
Thank you!!!

As this is a site for salon professionals we can't give you advice on using professional use only products, and would advise you do some sort of training in Gels.
It would be in your best interests to get some training as Gels if misused are known to cause allergic reactions. Under curing, which is likely to happen here if you are using guesswork for your curing times is the main cause of allergic reactions.
If you are already in poor health then this would not be good!

If this is still not an option for you, then there are quite a few Forums out there fir DIYers Purse Forum being one that comes to mind.....you will also find out on there how many DIYers have suffered allergic reactions from using cheap LED/UV lamps, mixing systems and not having basic knowledge of how gel works.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

That's ok, izzydoll. I asked for help and all opinions. I'm grateful to anybody taking the time.

I'm doing everything I can to research-research-research. I know it's not the same as actual tech training. But at least my Bachelor's degree was partly focused on how to do in-depth research! ;) (not that my degree helped much with employment in Michigan, which had the highest unemployment in the nation for several years!)

I realize my question about the curing time sounded "guessy." I just thought of it as I was writing the other questions. I hadn't the chance yet to look it up. I will not be doing last minute experiments on my nails. As much as I like to be creative, I realize this is a serious process that can affect one's health. So before I will undertake any new steps, I will research to avoid harming myself.

I only just yesterday started to wonder if I should've just ordered the iBd system, and not used Gelish at all, thus my questions.

Sorry I'm being so wordy!!! It's 4am here, so I think I've got the late night blithers! ;)
I'll sign off now. I do appreciate your concern for my safety, izzidoll!

Ok, since my above questions won't be answered because I'm not an educated nail tech (which is why I'm posting in the consumers section:?:), would anyone care to give their opinion about iBd base and top versus Gelish? Just as a general opinion?

Hi acsmith, even though you are posting on the consumer queries you're asking about how to use a professional product as a non professional hence why we can't give you any advice on the products, the only advice I could really give is receive some training as this will clear a lot of your queries and when you do have training don't mix and match your systems as it's not normally recommended. As for gelish I've never used it but Love IBD.
Hope this helps a little bit 😊

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back