IBX under gel polish - questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsbyHand

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have bought IBX, just tesing it out on myself at the moment. I have done the first application as per the video. Then...?

1) What do I do the second week? For the first application, I put on two coats as the video said: heat treating for 5 minutes first, then 3 minutes the second time. In the second week, when I just do one application, how long do I heat treat for?

2) The video says cure in an LED lamp for one minute, which I did. But then on their website, it says cure IBX in an LED lamp for the same time as you would cure a colour coat. I have a Gelish lamp which cures in 30 seconds for a colour coat. Which?

3) My understanding is that IBX repair is for repairing damage and IBX normal strengthens the nail. But on the video, she briefly mentions using repair under gel polish. Slightly confused. For someone who has gel polish all the time, which IBX do you recommend underneath?

Those are my questions! I looked for the big IBX thread on here, but the search this forum page returns no theads about IBX (clearly wrong, but have tried it several times and can't get it to work).

Also, I must get a proper heat source. The hair dryer option is a pain as I have to hold it in one hand which I can't use for anything else. Also, when did hair dryers become so fierce? Too strong for IBXing, I think.

Thanks geeks!

Louella belle has a heat lamp that should help with the heating process. At my previous salon, I was using a Minx lamp which also worked just fine. Also, the heating times have changed slightly since those videos came out. The IBX repair is still 1 minute but the IBX treatment is now 4 minutes the first coat and 2 the second. (That should help shorten treatment time just a little for you.)

Generally for the second and subsequent treatment(s), I look at the condition of the client's nail after I remove their gel polish. If they still have some peeling, I do the repair again for 1 minute. Then move on to the IBX treatment for 2 minutes. If no peeling, I just go straight to the latter.

If you're using a UV lamp, then it would be 2 minutes. If you're using an LED (I'm also using my Gelish lamp for this), it's 30 seconds a coat. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi im glad you asked this as I couldn't find tread either ?
I think tge time change from video to website is the fact that they researced mire and ibx still works with 30 second I dont think they've updated video
Abd you do need to do repair and ibx under gel polish on each application of gel polish if your clients wants to add it
A question from me if you don't mind me jumping on your thread ? Is it ok to lightly buff the naik fir application of gelish after doung ibx ? As I would of thought vit would be buffing products away ? I now ibx penetrates under nail but no sure if it goes that deep in the nail platr ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not sure if you're supposed to either, but I've been finding I need to buff for Gelish or else I end up with pitting and shrinking issues. I tried a thorough cleanse before applying the base, and it was still pitting and shrinking back where the base wasn't adhering.

Ok thanks for that . Im doing a client sat and not sure to offer it or not ,its a new client so not sure what to do xx

Ive only done ibx on natural naiks so far xx

If the client wants it, it's worth a try. One of my regulars had been having ibx with her Shellac since I bought it back in late February. Her normal Shellac was only lasting her 4 days before it started to chip, which in my opinion, isn't really worth it if she's paying that much and only getting 4 days max. With the ibx she was getting 10 days. Few months ago she switched to Gelish with her ibx, and it pretty much lasts her 3 weeks before the first chip happens. There is definitely a difference as far as longevity in gel polish with this product when it comes to clients with not so perfect nails. Just with Gelish, as I mentioned earlier, some light buffing might be needed because I tried not buffing twice and both times there was pitting and shrinking.

Thanks Chickafish -- and other commenters -- will use normal IBX under my Gelish unless there is actually any repair needed. Which is sort of what I thought, until there was that comment on the video.

Two minutes for heating on second application plus 30 seconds under my Gelish lamp sounds much better timing ;)

Now to order my heat lamp...

Latest posts

Back