Illegal from June to offer more than a 14% tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Hi geeks, so I've just read a comment on a post from Catherine (fresh indulgence) to say anything more than a 14% spray tan is illegal from next month, any info?

I use la tan 18% & la fast tan 20% so what will happen then - will la tan stop selling these?

I know last year I read a few bits on salon geek to say no more than a 14% was recommended but it didn't anywhere state it was the law & from June 2013 that it was illegal!

Grrrr I'm not happy if this is true! x

That will not affect me....
Mine dont want to go darker than 12 :)

I wish mine didn't miss sylk x

sooo sad to hear this :( I am just starting up and I was already looking forward to trying La Disco x

Is this true? If so... Why? x

I've got 2 litres of la tan disco & I won't have them used up by next month no way! so la tan should refund me if they knew this & haven't told anyone, not happy, no point me spraying anyone with it now to use it up bcos if they fall in love with it whats the point if i cant use it on them again!

im still wanting clarification on all of this though, la tan have had an email from me but no reply & they are now closed so cannot call.... Steve@nouvatan were are you? :D can you fill us geeks in please x

As I replied in the other thread I want to see where this information has come from. I don't see how it can be true to be honest.

Catherine's post links to articles on the Fresh Indulgence site (they only make under 12% so don't promote the use of higher DHA solutions) so I would like to see the informaion on an unbiased site/link.

I have soo many questions:
Where have Fresh Indulgence got this info from?
Who will enforce the ban of higher DHA solutions?
What will happen to those who continue to use high DHA solutions?
Who would we report high DHA use to?
What are the reasons for banning high DHA solutions (my clients will want to know this)?

I recall a thread a while back as to while suntana wasnt releasing a 16% or higher. The thread is below:

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/160808-suntana-16-14-a.html

It basically was in the opinion of usage of DHA over 14% was not recommended. (slightly ironic due to the booster drops)

IMO i think its safe/ fine to go as high as 20% what on earth will the professional dancers use then!!! I can imagine a pale vincent simone! xoxo

I recall a thread a while back as to while suntana wasnt releasing a 16% or higher. The thread is below:

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/160808-suntana-16-14-a.html

It basically was in the opinion of usage of DHA over 14% was not recommended. (slightly ironic due to the booster drops)

IMO i think its safe/ fine to go as high as 20% what on earth will the professional dancers use then!!! I can imagine a pale vincent simone! xoxo

Hi wonderwoman that was the article I read last year about going no higher than a 14% but I thought it was just recommended not to go higher than 14% not an actual requirement as it seems to be being said now x

Does this mean we can't use booster drops? Or rapid tans as they are a higher % arent they?

My thinking is its a pr stunt😀 xx

I think it is a twisting of words to scare people.

This report from 2010 says that they did not test higher than 14% because that was the highest percent solution being used in automated booths at the time: http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_048.pdf

It states:
It is safe to use up to a 14% DHA solution (they found no risk to using DHA at all).

That using a spray gun and tent is the lowest risk way to apply tanning solutions and that no further action needs to be taken for this method of application.

Nowhere in that report did it say that using above 14% would or could cause any risk to health. They just didn't test anything higher (my feeling about this is that back when they did this report (Dec 2010) there were not many solutions above 14% available so they felt no need to test them).

I also feel that if this is the report that 'everything higher than a 14% is bad' is based upon then it's taken a LONG time for anything to come of it & if anything has come of it it has been kept very quiet - nobody seems to know anything about new laws/legislation being brought in.

What a load of tosh!! Honestly, who writes this drivel?

It doesn't sound very likely. Surely the tan companies would know this first and if they knew then they wouldn't have started bringing out the fast tans last year xx

I hope this is not true. Most of my clients prefer the 16 & 20% Nouvatan:(

Just checked my email. Fresh indulgence say from June this year it is against the law to use anything higher than 14% and they have never offered this. So why sell booster drops?

I'm hoping its not true I use fresh indulgence for my lighter tans, but have just started using nouvatan as my clients wanted dark tans! X

Skin deep I've just had that email aswel :/

I think the tanning companies will be bombarded with calls/emails tomorrow especially if they have been selling these and knew this was going to happen. I have half a bottle of 20% remaining. I also use this on myself but only leave it on for 2hrs. Looks like ill be investing in booster drops or are they going to stop selling these too!!

Ooh keeping an eye on this , Steve from nouvatan where are you? Ha x x

Latest posts

Back