I'm fuming!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellybaby1970

Reaction score
I'm absolutely fuming mad! We have just received a letter telling us that we owe a payment company £310. It didn't say why. Rang them up and it's all my husband's ***** of an ex-wife's fault.
Basically, the DVLA have been writing to him at her address since 2006 regarding the transfer of ownership on a motorbike he owned but was stored somewhere else. (He had forgotten all about it, not seen it for over 10 years) She didn't send any of the mail on to him or send any of it back to the DVLA as not known at the address. This has been going on for several years, they have given him lots of chances to respond, but obviously without knowing she was getting the letters, he couldn't. They then sent a letter saying they were taking him to court and found him guilty in his absence! This was 3 weeks ago! We found out today that someone where his bike was stored gave it to another person and because mark didn't sign over the log book he is in the wrong. He didn't even know it had been given away! He was fined £200 + £20 victims surcharge(?!) and £90 court costs! All because she was destroying his post and not giving it to him. When he asked the payment company where they got his proper address from they said that his ex had opened the letter they sent to him and rung them! Surely this is against the law??
So now we are stuck with a bill that we shouldn't have to pay. I hate her so much!! Ruined my weekend, I think a lot of letters are going to have to be written. And, to top it all off, I have just found out that it was in the ' court report' of our local paper, so I bet she is having a good laugh about it. Grrrrr.
( she who laughs last, laughs longest, and I will make her pay for all this one way or another! Revenge will be sweet lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think under the circumstances, I would strongly advise you have all his mail re-directed to avoid anything going astray again in the future. Plus I wouldn't want the ex opening anything that belonged to him, just out of principle.

But as an after thought......can you not appeal? It would be the same scenario if he had just moved address regardless of the ex or not. As it stands, if it wasn't for her you would still be none the wiser?

I have emailed the DVLA and explained the situation. Hopefully they will change the fine, although I'm not sure they can if it's already been heard at court? We wouldn't know anything about the amount fined if she hadn't opened his mail and phoned them so I'm hoping that she has actually shot herself in the foot a bit there! She is a complete nightmare and has given us nothing but hell for 8 years now. She just can't move on, which is odd because she threw him out! (But then begged him to go back when he got with me) She is always telling me, and everyone that he has cheated on me with her :lol::lol::lol:

I have emailed the DVLA and explained the situation. Hopefully they will change the fine, although I'm not sure they can if it's already been heard at court? We wouldn't know anything about the amount fined if she hadn't opened his mail and phoned them so I'm hoping that she has actually shot herself in the foot a bit there! She is a complete nightmare and has given us nothing but hell for 8 years now. She just can't move on, which is odd because she threw him out! (But then begged him to go back when he got with me) She is always telling me, and everyone that he has cheated on me with her :lol::lol::lol:

All the more reason to cut all ties as much as possible. Get that post re-directed as soon as, I wouldn't give her any insight into his new life whatsoever xxx

I thought you got fined for not telling the DVLA a change of address so would they not say it's his fault for not updating his driving license? Xx

Isnt opening or even destroying post considered tampering with her majestys mail service (or something along those lines, its not called royal mail for no reason) and therefore absolutely illegal ir does this only apply to postal workers? I would consider suing the ex! How rude?!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's against the law to open his post. He hadn't changed his driving licence address as he hasn't driven since 2010. He has done it now as he is looking at getting a car. I just feel so annoyed that not all of this is our fault ( we would have acted if we had received a letter) but we get lumbered with a fine and who know what else. Does this count against him like a county court judgement? They ask this type of thing for insurance, rent, mortgages etc! It could have far more reaching effects than just a fine.....:cry:

Does your partner still have the log book for the motorbike? If so and someone has given it away couldn't you just say as far as you were aware it was still in storage? And he hasn't given anyone permission to sell / give it away?

If someone else gave his bike away without his permission that counts as theft! Im sure if you fought this you would have a good case.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

The log book should still be at his ex wife's house, he's never been given it. Apparently the bike was stored at his cousins farm for years, some old bloke he knew asked about it years ago and he gave it to him! He didn't even tell Mark! I think it should be reported as theft but because it's his cousin he is a bit reluctant, understandably. I wouldn't be surprised if his cousin didn't get a few quid for it.
The atmosphere in the house is awful at the moment, we aren't speaking to each other because I'm so angry and he is being a pathetic male as usual. The whole " if I bury my head in the sand it will all go away" thing. I've had to put my beloved Paul Weller tickets up for sale (the most gutting thing :cry:), cancel my hair appointment next sat (the second part of going from brown to blonde, having to box dye back to brown again as I can't afford it at all) and sell anything I can get my hands on.
It's all so frustrating.....I just want to cry

Have to say that it was his responsibility to make sure that all his affairs were in order. If I was getting my exes post then I would bin it too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We thought it was all in place....he had forgotten about the bike. He hasn't seen it for years.(well over 10 years) It's an F reg so not worth anything.
It's illegal to destroy or open someone else's post so I'm happy she will get in trouble for that. I have so much on her that she's just silly if she thinks I'll let her do that and not do anything about it!
There's not much action you can take if you don't know what is happening. If we had known about the court date we could have gone and explained it all.

The log book should still be at his ex wife's house, he's never been given it. Apparently the bike was stored at his cousins farm for years, some old bloke he knew asked about it years ago and he gave it to him! He didn't even tell Mark! I think it should be reported as theft but because it's his cousin he is a bit reluctant, understandably. I wouldn't be surprised if his cousin didn't get a few quid for it.
The atmosphere in the house is awful at the moment, we aren't speaking to each other because I'm so angry and he is being a pathetic male as usual. The whole " if I bury my head in the sand it will all go away" thing. I've had to put my beloved Paul Weller tickets up for sale (the most gutting thing :cry:), cancel my hair appointment next sat (the second part of going from brown to blonde, having to box dye back to brown again as I can't afford it at all) and sell anything I can get my hands on.
It's all so frustrating.....I just want to cry

Crap situation but don't dye your hair back brown just leave it for now you will regret it in a couple of months when the situation become a bit easier x

Thanks for being so understanding ladies (well, most of you) it's nice to hear that others understand my frustrations and the unfairness of it all! :Love:

Latest posts

Back