Im in a hair disaster - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi All,

Before i explain, Im not a hair expert, i know allot about hair colouring and whilst doing this i kind of had the help of my professional hairdresser cousin. I know i should have gone to her to have it done but i was too impatient.

Ok my hair was really red (cheryl cole like) i had used xxl live red passion for a few months, and i ended up hating the colour and wanted to go to like a baby blonde.

So i bleach bathed it twice with 9% peroxide (as my hair cant really take high peroxide) it brought it upto a base 3 still very red/gingery.
So i done another bleach bath (same day) on the most gingery and darkest parts, this brought it upto a base 4

I then put on a nice and easy box colour ultra light ash blonde and this took it upto base 5. Was still slightly ginger and i wanted to tone this out.

So next day i put on indola tint 8.1 light ash blonde with 9% peroxide. Left it on for 45 minutes, washed and dried it and it look it even darker...after speaking to my hairdresser i realised i should have used 10.1 wella with 12% peroxide after using indola 8.1 hair was base 4 again.

I then on same day got wella 10.1 with 12% peroxide and put it all over, After 15 mins my hair was feeling very stretchy so i washed it straight off, it kind of made it light but i would say im still a base 4ish.
My hair feels dry at ends but only right at the ends ( i need a trim anyway which i will have once ive sorted this) Its not breaking or stretching anymore.

What can i do next? I hate living with the colour it is now its a very brownish/gingery colour and looks dull. I really want to go blonde. I cant really take bleach, would you say a box colour or 10.1 with 9% would do the job?

Want to get to a base 7/8

(I know im silly for attempting myself but i just need help here)
Thanks in advanced x

Last edited:
Get you hairdresser cousin to sort it out , or go to a salon . I wouldn't even attempt to do that to my own hair

After paying out all that money to complete this I dont have enough money to get this corrected professionaly. I have no choice but to do it myself because funds are low.

looks to me your not gunna get you desired look straight away ... goin from a dark colour especially a dark red to a blonde is very tricky and is a gradual thing . to save costs and the condition of your hair i would just put a medium brown all over to cover the colour you have now so it looks half decent and just get their gradually .. like go to your cousin once a month for a full head of highlights (bleech) .. and after a couple of times doing that it would have lightened your whole hair and you can play with colours alot more xx

I'm with zebra_cake I wouldn't even attempt colouring my own hair.
Tint wont lift tint no matter what, I would sugest a full head of foils..
If you attempt to go any lighter and use bleach doing it yourself then your hair will most probably break off.
I'd invest in a really good treatment too.. Joico K-Pak treatment is really good, along with the shampoo and conditioner.
Good luck
:)
xox

Yeah I agree, the best way forward from here is too firstly get a lot of conditioning treatments into your hair, ones mainly with keratin in to try give your hair some life back.

As for the hair colour, did you say you were now at a base 4? To be honest your not going to ever get it blonde without using bleach in there somewhere.
I suggest having bleach foils put through your hair gradually. Doesn't have to be strong peroxide, use 6% to start then mix it up over the weeks, you'll be surprised how fast it will come up, then once there put a semi over it, say colour touch 9.1 for example. I'd suggest semi as it's softer on the hair, leaves room for changing the tone and conditions the hair.

A stylist I used to work with was jet black and wanted to go lighter, not blonde, say from a base 1 to about a 7/8. Bear in mind we are professionals and know the state our hair can get in and willing to except that with treatments we do to our own hair. So i did as my friend asked, once a week I foiled her hair (full head) with fine weaves of bleach 9% but sometimes mixing it up with 6% and 12%. When she got unpatient with it I bleach bathed her hair. Eventually it got there but still with some very dark areas in there, but her hair was so wrecked she soon went back dark to hide the damage.

If your adamant to do this yourself, which i don't advise, but if so get some bleach use with 6% and either cap or foil yourself. Very difficult to do yourself but it's the only way..... Then in the not too near future invest in a damn good treatment, Kerastase is the best for treatments, costly but does the job....Good luck. :eek:

Please stop now.

What exactly is the point of being baby blonde if your hair is like chewing gum?

Hair can only take so much, please accept this. One more application of colour could well be the tipping point to total snappage.

Please at least go and get a consultation with a colour tech. You cannot acheive this by yourself by keep bunging colours on it yourself. It doesn't work like that. You need an expert otherwise you will lose your hair.

:eek:
OMG . I must admit i am quite supprised you have any hair left to be honest hun .
Please dont do anymore chemical treatments on it . I would suggest you leave well alone for a while and do some good treatments before anything.
Then try and save to have a proffesional do it.
The amount you have spent on home colour you could have saved your hair and money and had it done properly hun.
To be honest if you were my cousin i would have said the only way to get light would be either bleach bath or gradually using highlights but only if the hair could take it and it would be a very gradual thing !!

Tint doesnt lift tint , so putting a 8 over a 7,6,5,4 whatever isnt going to do anything but add yet more colour build up and damage.

Dont mean to sound harsh hun it just makes me so worried that people play about with colour at home and end up in your situation xx

Oh lord!!
Do not put anything else on it!

condition,condition,condition,until you have the money to go to a hairdresser, do not pull your hair through a cap,and bleach it?? as you pull the hair through its probably going to snap off.

honestly, i cannot believe youve put all those colours on your hair, ask your cousin she will tell you eactly the same thing,

and as for box colours, 1 of the worst thing about them is we dont know what peroxide they are, so you dont know what vol your using atall......

stop now,as its almost too late already, unless you like the short back n sides look............
Kate x

Latest posts

Back