Inappropriate male client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay as a boss, my staffs comfort and happiness at work are my primary concern. We have practised the procedure if a male client behaves inappropriately, and I mean practised the language we use and the no nonsense approach. Have you spoken to your boss? If my staff told me something like this, I would make sure I was around for this guy and try and overhear his comments at which point I would step in and ask him not to use inappropriate language to my staff. Please speak to your boss. If they value you as part of the team they will deal with it.

Vic x
Yes i have told my boss and she does try and listen in, but he's very sly will say stuff when he knows people cant hear x

I had a similar experience with a male client during a chest wax. I ended up saying "how would your wife feel if she knew you were talking like this" he said "oh she doesnt mind, she knows im just joking" i said "well i do mind and im sure my husband wouldn't like it if i told him either. Maybe the next time your wife comes in i might have a little chat with her and just let her know that although you say you're joking, it makes me feel uncomfortable and could you please ask your husband to stop" he said "oh shit look ok im sorry. Ill behave myself" He never came back. Unfortunately the salon lost a client but who needs clients like that anyway.... I guess it all comes down to your tone when you're telling them to knock it off. Let us know how you go :)

He never came back. Unfortunately the salon lost a client but who needs clients like that anyway....
Precisely!

OP, yes I absolutely do think this is down to your boss to sort out. Whether they hear it happen or not is not the point, you have made a complaint.

My former boss told many a tosser off onsite for speaking out of turn to her staff. Different situation but same principle.

Ok thanks everyone x

It sounds to me he knows you are shy and he is almost doing it as a power thing,I bet he wouldn't say anything to an older more assertive therapist.What do you do on him ? if its massage then give him the worst massage he has ever had,if you know he likes certain things don't do them.Dig your thumbs into his archiles tendons do lots of hacking don't do anything soothing and also don't strike up any conversation with him at all,if you do have to speak to him keep it blunt,yes or no and nothing Inbetween dont
make any eye contact with him in fact put eye pads on him,I'm sure he will get the message.
I think you need to get a bit angry about the way he is making you feel.

It sounds to me he knows you are shy and he is almost doing it as a power thing,I bet he wouldn't say anything to an older more assertive therapist.What do you do on him ? if its massage then give him the worst massage he has ever had,if you know he likes certain things don't do them.Dig your thumbs into his archiles tendons do lots of hacking don't do anything soothing and also don't strike up any conversation with him at all,if you do have to speak to him keep it blunt,yes or no and nothing Inbetween dont
make any eye contact with him in fact put eye pads on him,I'm sure he will get the message.
I think you need to get a bit angry about the way he is making you feel.
Hello, thanks for your reply i give him a haircut, he always asks for head massages and i always say no . Welll he wont think im so shy next time when i tell him where to go

I would refuse to treat him. Simple as that.

Keep us updated with this please :) I want to know what his reaction is when you tell him where to go :)

I'd refuse to treat him and say it calmly and slowly to his face when he comes in to book or calls. Something like... I'm sorry but I can no longer treat you as your behaviour has been inappropriate and I've simply had enough- then just end the conversation don't give him chance for any buts.....

As others have said it is really upto your boss to sort this though not you.

I wouldn't mention it to his wife as this could not go the best way.... You may just end up embarrassing her and making her feel stupid when non of this is her fault, she's not her husbands keeper after all. You never know she may even be aware he behaves this way behind her back and chooses to turn a blind eye either way I could see it ending badly if you mentioned it to her she could even turn it on you, she may confront him, he denys, plays it down etc and she blames you for being over sensitive and the situation then gets even more awkward

Haha i will dont worry, i cant really refuse to treat him as his wife is a good customer and will want to know what's gone on. I just need to say something to him to give him the choice to to back or not... which he will then have to find an excuse for his wife. Disgusting man

Yes you can refuse to treat this man. He is making you feel extremely uncomfortable and it is bang out of order. When your providing a treatment you dont want to be put in this predicament..........if his wife knew what he was saying she would probably give him a sly slap an tell him to behave himself lol wether she is a regular or not you cant continue to do treatments on this person if he is being like this.

Chin up chick
Xxx

So an update. This man still comes althoughhis visits seem to be less often, he went to the other girl last time and didnt say a word........ ive just been told that ive been slagged off by a manager saying "im taking it way out of proportion and he probably doesnt want to come back because he was joking and i offended him"... angry does not come close

So an update. This man still comes althoughhis visits seem to be less often, he went to the other girl last time and didnt say a word........ ive just been told that ive been slagged off by a manager saying "im taking it way out of proportion and he probably doesnt want to come back because he was joking and i offended him"... angry does not come close

What the hell!!

Your manager should be backing you up and taking you into consideration and asking how you feel!

What the hell!!

Your manager should be backing you up and taking you into consideration and asking how you feel!

I know, i want to say something so bad but the other girl has confided in me so i cant...

Sorry about the punctuation i was having a rant

And nowwww they've booked him in with me tomorrow...

Ofgs say no!
I have... on many occasion. They say "he's a client hes only joking". Im gonna have a proper word tomorrow though instead of my usual ranting and raving approach

Discretely record the appointment using your phone.
Don't try to set him up but just wait until he starts his nonsense.

Your boss is legally obliged to keep you safe from harrassment and if they do nothing about it, they can be sued by you in an Employment Tribunal.

Afterwards, show your boss the evidence and insist that the boss looks after his appointments in future. Failing that, take it further with support from Citizens Advice.

Sexual harrassment is no joke.

I have... on many occasion. They say "he's a client hes only joking". Im gonna have a proper word tomorrow though instead of my usual ranting and raving approach

Yeah go and speak to the manager because you can't be forced to do anything you're not comfortable with.

Discretely record the appointment using your phone.
Don't try to set him up but just wait until he starts his nonsense.

Your boss is legally obliged to keep you safe from harrassment and if they do nothing about it, they can be sued by you in an Employment Tribunal.

Afterwards, show your boss the evidence and insist that the boss looks after his appointments in future. Failing that, take it further with support from Citizens Advice.

Sexual harrassment is no joke.

That's a good idea actually i don't know why i didn't think of that. Thankyou for that advice

Latest posts

Back