Inappropriate male client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Hey, so.... i have a male client that comes in every 3 weeks and i really dread it when he's booked in. He's always making really inappropriate comments... like last time i got distracted with a walk in client, when i returned to.him i said "sorry, what we're we talking about?"... he replied "sex" to some people i may be overreacting but sometimes i actually feel violated after he's been..... what do i say to him to get him to shut up?!!! Id rather he didnt come at all but i.dont want questions to be asked as his wife is in alll the time. How do i handle this what do i sayyyyyy. Help!

Sorry to hear that you've been harassed in this way.

You need to put him straight as soon as he sits in your chair.

Just tell him that you have focussed on remaining professional during his previous appointments but that his conversation topics make you feel very uncomfortable. From now on, you'd rather he kept chat to neutral subjects such as the weather. If he feels unable to comply with your request, you will have to ask another member of staff to take over.

Also, tell him that you have discussed this with your boss and s/he supports you.

Sexual harassment at work is an offence so your boss would be liable if they don't do anything to stop it when it's been brought to their attention.

Treat him like a kid, ignore the bad behaviour.

Don't laugh, smile or acknowledge anything he says thats inappropriate. Hopefully it will make him feel uncomfortable [emoji106]

Also keep mentioning his wife. How is she? Are you both doing anything? She said you were going here etc etc. remind him you see alot of her :)

Thankyou for your replies and for taking it seriously, can always rely on the geeks for support.... ive tried ignoring him but i think he must think im being shy or something. Ill have to do the firm approach as AcidPerm suggested x

I'm happy to help. It's really unacceptable in this day and age to suffer unwarranted attention from men at work, including clients.

I also don't think that a passive/aggressive approach is a realistic solution to the problem as it relies on the man understanding that their behaviour is not appreciated. Let's face it, those sort of men are not the brightest when it comes to reading women and you need to tell them in a straightforward and clear way that you don't want to engage with them on that level.

I just dont understand why hes trying it on with someone half his age. Wouldve thought he'd look at me like a kid tbh... luckily he came in with his wife today so he didn't say anything. But ill defo tell him next time

Haha that he definitely is he makes me feel physically sick

In the last salon I worked in we had a client like that and the stylist used to call him sex pest to the other stylists and then started saying it to his face he soon got embarrassed and was well behaved ever since

Haha i wish i had the guts to say something like that

just dont understand why hes trying it on with someone half his age. Wouldve thought he'd look at me like a kid tbh... luckily he came in with his wife today so he didn't say anything. But ill defo tell him next time
Hes obviously hit his mid life crisis point! Suddenly feels old and losing the pull factor... Or clearly thinks he's gods gift....It's shameful and.something you shouldn't have to put up with!

I've dealt with a creep like this before, he was nearly double my age (I was 40) I was getting comments like....ohh I miss the female touch since my wife died, I love how that brush feels on the back on my neck (when I finished the cut and removed loose hair) it was disgusting!! I constantly changed the subject to no avail.

I felt sorry for him when he first came in, but enough was enough, when he started that talk on another appointment I told him straight! Removed the gown and said I'm sorry you've lost your wife, however I don't do my job to listen to this, you wouldn't say it to your Dr, Nurse, chiropodist,, so please treat me with the same respect. And asked him to leave half way through his hsir cut!!

Don't put up with it!! If he starts, pull a disgusted repulsed face and ask if his wife knows he behaves like this when she's not here.

Hes obviously hit his mid life crisis point! Suddenly feels old and losing the pull factor... Or clearly thinks he's gods gift....It's shameful and.something you shouldn't have to put up with!

I've dealt with a creep like this before, he was nearly double my age (I was 40) I was getting comments like....ohh I miss the female touch since my wife died, I love how that brush feels on the back on my neck (when I finished the cut and removed loose hair) it was disgusting!! I constantly changed the subject to no avail.

I felt sorry for him when he first came in, but enough was enough, when he started that talk on another appointment I told him straight! Removed the gown and said I'm sorry you've lost your wife, however I don't do my job to listen to this, you wouldn't say it to your Dr, Nurse, chiropodist,, so please treat me with the same respect. And asked him to leave half way through his hsir cut!!

Don't put up with it!! If he starts, pull a disgusted repulsed face and ask if his wife knows he behaves like this when she's not here.
Thankyou, thats exactly what i was going to say but obviously she was there. Its shameful how different he acts when she's not around. Vile human being

By not saying something when his wife is there you are almost conspiring with him to cover his behaviour.
Clearly he knows it is incorrect behaviour or he would make the same kind of comments whether his wife was there or not.
The next time they are in together you should say something like -
Your husband's behaviour improves when you are here ... you need to have a word with him.
She should at that point ask you what you mean - then you tell her that he makes cheeky comments that you don't think she would approve of.
Keep it light and even smile ... you want to give them both a way out rather than have a big confrontation.
She might say she will sort him out when she gets home. You can all three have a chuckle. She will give him a roasting when they get home. He will either then behave or stop coming.
Good luck x

Yeah i understand what you mean, but i think that could end a couple of ways and i could end up causing trouble and stop her coming as well. My boss wouldnt be happy about that. Ill just make him aware its not ok then hopefully he wont come back

There was a chap in his 70s used to come to the salon I worked.

He was a normal gentleman when he came in with his wife.
But leary and rude otherwise.

He used to hug the boss really close and I believe touched her arse.
He used to flirt with and touch the other stylists arm.
He just made comments to me.

I don't know whether it was because I was younger and he realised it inappropriate or because I was obviously blunt and probably cold toward him

By not saying something when his wife is there you are almost conspiring with him to cover his behaviour.
Clearly he knows it is incorrect behaviour or he would make the same kind of comments whether his wife was there or not.
The next time they are in together you should say something like -
Your husband's behaviour improves when you are here ... you need to have a word with him.
She should at that point ask you what you mean - then you tell her that he makes cheeky comments that you don't think she would approve of.
Keep it light and even smile ... you want to give them both a way out rather than have a big confrontation.
She might say she will sort him out when she gets home. You can all three have a chuckle. She will give him a roasting when they get home. He will either then behave or stop coming.
Good luck x

I've heard women/wiles say boys will be boys when confronted about inappropriate behaviour

I've heard women/wiles say boys will be boys when confronted about inappropriate behaviour
Im just worried she wouldn't believe me or gets angry towards me uf i said something like that. Do id rather keep out of that side lol

I really don't think it's down to you to deal with this or to say something to his wife. Your boss should be looking after his/her employee!

His behavior is harassment and 100% not ok. You do not have to put up with it. I would refuse to work on him again and your boss should be telling him it is not ok to sexually harass their staff and to desist or find another salon to go to.

I really don't think it's down to you to deal with this or to say something to his wife. Your boss should be looking after his/her employee!

His behavior is harassment and 100% not ok. You do not have to put up with it. I would refuse to work on him again and your boss should be telling him it is not ok to sexually harass their staff and to desist or find another salon to go to.
Do you think? I will personally tell him next time tbh. Not about to say anything to his wife though. Im glad others have agreed and dont think im just being silly

Okay as a boss, my staffs comfort and happiness at work are my primary concern. We have practised the procedure if a male client behaves inappropriately, and I mean practised the language we use and the no nonsense approach. Have you spoken to your boss? If my staff told me something like this, I would make sure I was around for this guy and try and overhear his comments at which point I would step in and ask him not to use inappropriate language to my staff. Please speak to your boss. If they value you as part of the team they will deal with it.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back