Indian Head or Swedish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm after some advice as to which qualification will make me more employable.

I have Beauty Therapy level 2 and Babtac courses in Indian head massage and swedish massage and nails and currently run my own mobile business.

I'm moving abroad this summer and would like a level 3 qualification before I go, so that I could look at working in a spa or salon.

I have the opportunity to do an indian head NVQ 3 locally starting this week, if I opt for the swedish NVQ 3 I will have to pay considerably more and travel a much greater distance away. It is therefore more convenient for me to do Indian head (which I love), but will it make me as employable?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks x

I think that in spas there will be much more call for swedish massage than for indian head. Also when you do your training for swedish you wil have to gain an A&P qualificatrion too. This will definatley stand you in good stead and will also be a stepping stone to further level 3 and advanced qualifications.

I agree with Debs, I have both qualifications & feel that doing the level 3 swedish massage first is a must! All the best for your move btw!! :)

I completed my Level 3 Indian Head in December, I really loved it. I am currently doing Swedish Level 3. So, I dont have a lot of experience but should imagine having the Swedish under your belt would be more relevant to working in Spas, etc. But at the end of the day you should do what you feel!

The spa i work in has hardly anyone booking in for Indian head but is packed out with swedish masssage treatments. I guess it depends on where you work. If i were you i'd go for the swedish massage course. Not only because its more popular but because theres a lot more to the treatment and if you get that over with whilst your hear then when you do move, indian head isnt going to be a very long course. Will they not take babtac out there?

I'd definitely go for the swedish massage course - it's a lot more versatile than IHM, and it gives you a good basis for going on to do other types of massage as well.

I can see that Swedish is probably going to be a more popular treatment, and I guess if I put myself out a bit now then I'll hopefully reap more rewards in the future!

Kylieb - I'm not entirely sure if Babtac courses are recognised there or not I guess it will depend on the salon. I just didn't want to leave the country without a level 3 qualification and then regret it!

Thanks everyone for your advice - very much appreciated!

I would say Swedish - Indian Head comes and goes in and out of popularity but there is always a demand for Swedish Massage

Def swedish massage you can then build on that and do sports massage, I also do indian head massage but i do 5x as many swedish massage compared to indian head massage

ditto all above!

Latest posts

Back