Infected skin & waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbird23

Reaction score
Hi ladies
wasn't sure what to put as the title so here goes

I had a young lady call in today no appointment but wanted to ask about waxing, she wanted complete facial waxing and said that she had been shaving, when I say shaving I mean she has been shaving her whole face including the hairline to brows and between them, cheeks to the ears, lips, chin.......the whole face, her hairline was also shaved into and her skin looked really really red, inflamed and round the hairline and between the brows the skin looked torn and infected.

I explained to her that her skin appeared to be very red and I wouldnt advice waxing this area until the skin had healed, I also suggested that she consulted with her GP who may be able to help.

Ive never seen anything like this before, just wondered if any of you ladies have and what suggestions you told clients, I thought it was really odd shaving her forehead and into her hair line.

I think you gave her the right advice. If her facial hair is that bad then her gp should do tests for underlying medical conditions. If there is an underlying condition her gp can then treat that first, and later maybe recommend her for laser hair removal or electrolysis. If her facial hair is not so bad, maybe she needs counselling for a psychological condition.

Well done for not waxing her - it's nice to hear someone acting professionally for once!

I thought it was really odd shaving her forehead and into her hair line.

She didn't happen to be Pakistani\Indian ethnicity? I have seen some women of this ethnicity who do have a lot of excess hair coming from the hair line and also the side burn area (personally never treated them but seen them around).

Or maybe it started off as the usual peach fuzz everyone has and because she felt self conscious of it she's shaved it and now it's worse than before she started.

I have a lot of Asian male clients and often they include a hairline and cheek bone wax when they book a face wax package ( brows,nostrils and ears)..

I too have a few Asian clients that like the forehead and sides of face waxed because the hair there is quite thick, dark and obvious.

However, i'm not sure about the redness, irritation and torn skin you mentioned. Did it look like razor rash/burn or more like breakouts? Poor girl x

How awful for her!

Sounds as though she's scraping the razor get a close shave and she might not be applying a soapy lather or cream underneath.

Anyway……….as a lady, she really should not be shaving as it will make the hair stronger. Encourage her to let it grow just long enough to wax. Then get her to come back when it's long enough again (might be just a few days), then get her to leave it a day or two longer in between visits until she only needs to come every 3 to 4 weeks. It will become temporarily weaker and finer.

I'd also suggest that she goes to her doc for some medication to reduce the hair growth.

Thalgo do a fab product called BioDepil which makes the hair finer.

Thanks for the replies ladies, my lady wasn't Asian but of oriental heritage, looking at the non shaved parts of her, just close to the ears her hair was very fine and downy, I was just so concerned that the bits she had repeatedly shaved were so inflamed and obviously sore I have never seen anything like it and not known anybody shave into the hair line on the forehead
I just wondered if it is psychological what way do you tackle it with a client?
I do hope she sees the doc and comes back to see me when healed I do think I was very sensitive and tactful

If she is shaving her whole face she obviously has an extreme condition which she really should see a doctor about.

If she has that bad a reaction with shaving she may also have the same problem with waxing and develop ingrown hairs.

If you do decide to wax her you do also need to make her aware that future permanent methods like electrolysis and laser may be less effective.

Latest posts

Back