Infills - do you charge less than a new set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can answer this for me? I did my 1st ever set of infills last night and they looked better than original set as girl is a terrible nail picker and wanted white tips, so now they've grown out a little look so much better. I charge £20 for gels with tips and normally will be £15 for infills... but last night i only charge £10 cos i feel guilty vharging £15 as she has to come to me every week - week and a half rather than 2 weeks (correct me if this is wrong) as her nails are really short... she isnt a nail biter, but not much different as picks instead... when she came to me i was glad tcos they had grown out so much i was quite shocked!! Also 2 thumbs had come off as she caught them and they flicked off (still gel on the nail lol) so i gave her 1 repair free but charged £2 for the other.... 2 hours work for £12 :eek: lol...

advice greatly appreciated on any of the topics above but espescially on the pricing side

I dont charge more than a full set but I definatley wouldnt be charging £10. I suppose it does depends on your area etc what you charge, but I price mine at £20 for a 2 week rebalance and £25 for 3 weeks which some people would still consider cheap. x

Would you not do a 1.5 week infill then, as she had short nails with the tips i thought it best to have her in sooner, glad i did tho as she had lost 2 so gave me chance to sort them out and all the others were still well on there i checked that. I didnt realise the longer you leave infills the more expensive - this is where i have to tread carefully tho as i only charge 20 for tips with overlays... mind you i have never charged for a soak off either so i need to start doing that too... i only really do it on friends and family... so pricing is still all over the place...

I don't do infils, I do rebalances where the structure of the nail has to be replaced.
I have 3 different prices for 2 weeks 3 weeks and 4 weeks.
TBH I have never done a 1 week appointment been lucky I guess as I custom blend on nail biters and they always manage to go 2 weeks.
You really need to be looking at putting your prices up hun, as £20 for a new set is very very cheap.
Jen

I dont think iv ever done a rebalance before 2 weeks, but if I did I would charge the same as I would do for a 2 week rebalance. She's not coming to you because your doing anything wrong so you shouldnt feel guilty and charge her less or you'll never make any money from doing her nails. £12 for 2 hours work would break my heart lol. I also charge £20 for a removal buff and tidy and polish. You cant be doing removals for free as it takes up your time! xx

I was taught to do infills. But have to say i took most of th gel away by filing and left a thin layer and tapered the edges / near the cuticle where the gel was, thinned the tip of gel, and applied usual layers of base gel and powder and top coat, they were ever so slightly thicker round the apex ( i dont ever build the apex to an arch as wasnt taught to do this), but zone 1 and 3 didnt look any thicker...

I know 20 is cheap but i know a woman up the road does bio sculpture for 25 cant compete with that! The client base i have are more likely to come to me when i suggest to be honest, as its only a small amount of people... and i book them in, i guess if they were to cancel / rebook a while later then id have to consider this.

I dont know what a custom blend is tho?(sorry to sound daft)

The nails that hadnt broken looked amazing and still very strong, just the 2 she had broken was a couple days apart, that she caught when trying to take a short cut and opening a box with her thumbs, rather than get scissors which she had been doing til then (she said she learnt a lesson lol) and this is 1st time shes ever wore tips, so i think she has done very well... and her nails underneath look quite long, so next time in a week and a day (only day she has off) were thinking of taking them off and doing overlays french just on her natural nails and sticking to this until her nails are at the desired length she wants!

Really great to see horrid nails prior to this really developing :) And she is so pleased which is a great confidence boost...

I dont know what a custom blend is tho?(sorry to sound daft)

Custom blending is using an opaque pink to mask the shortness of the Natural nail and giving a longer sleeker looking nail bed.
Jen xx

I have only ever done 2 removals - and i didnt realise how long it would take!And i have learnt from those experiences! lol. Is it ok to apply gel overlays after a removal of tips? She religiously uses cuticle oil and gloves for washing up etc (and this shows).

I think the next app next week will will be the last app i see her for the week to week and a half appointments... and then i will move to every 2 weeks as her nails underneath will be much longer and i can ensure they look strong etc, as as her nails were so short it was hard to see that the tips were really secure - as i use the 'rock on' method to apply tips this is hard espescially for nail biters / pickers.

I guess if she comes to me next week and they look ok i will just do any repairs needed and ask if shes happy to wait another week - does this sounds more feasible? I have read about maintenance appointments - what exactly is this? Im sure she'd be more than happy to wait another week, but i did say to he when her appointments for infills go to every week i will be charging 15 for infills... i did explain to her that the 10 charge was as a favor as usually its 15 for 2 weekly infills...

re custom blending - at what stage would you apply the pink? Before the clear voerlays etc? or after?

Hun sorry I'm a bit confused. What clear overlays.
You apply tips, and use a opaque pink to disguise the shortness of the clients nail bed,
See the pics in the link I have added
Welcome to Facebook before

Welcome to Facebook After.

The nail bed length has been extended using opaque pink
Jen

it wont let me look saying invalid...

i usually use clear base gel and then clear top 2 layers of each (on the base coat i applly powder too).

i have seen a pink base coat advertised in lechat whihc is what i use and now i know what it is for lol - i am assuming for this :) thanks for advice...

Generally our customers come in every 4 to 6 weeks for a fill after they have got a full set from us. We charge $65 can dollars for a full set and $40 can dollars for a fill. Not sure what that works out to in pounds but hope this helps:)

2 hours work for £12 :eek: lol...

advice greatly appreciated on any of the topics above but espescially on the pricing side

2 hours work for £12 would break my heart too! Thats £6 per hour, deduct product cost, travel expenses, rent & business rates, tax, national insurance, time and money spent on your education ...thats less than minimum wage. Cleaners get paid more than that hun. (i was one myself before i started my own business in nails)
I charge £22 for an infill and thats for just product replaced at the cuticle line and a quick rebalance of the tip area. (1 - 1.5 hrs) If they have a their french rebalanced it £28. (1.5 - 2 hrs) If they ask for a polish with their infill and it takes me over 1.5 hrs, that breaks my heart also.

Latest posts

Back