Informing clients about Bluesky being dodgy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DollyDaydreem

Reaction score
Okay, so a friend tagged me into a post on a Facebook where a lady was looking for someone who does "shellac" mobile. I responded with a link to my Facebook brand page for her information, as had a number of other local techs. My page doesn't claim to use shellac, as I don't (I use NSI Polish Pro and Megamix, and clearly state it's a UV gel polish).

The originally lady came on to say thanks for all the info, but she wanted someone who does genuine Shellac, not gelish or similar. (Fair enough, that's what she wants :)).

But another tech posted "gelish is a brand of shellac!", so I posted a comment saying "Shellac is a branded product made by CND. Gelish is a different product made by a different company (Hand & Nail Harmony). They are both gel polishes though obviously."

Now firstly, after I posted that, the tech edited her post to say that "gelish and shellac both do the same thing, one lasts for 2 weeks and the other can last for 3 weeks or more...you do have a lot more colours with gelish than shellac". Okay, fair enough, she's corrected her error and I'm not bothered about that.

BUT another nail tech has popped up saying she does gel polish, not shellac as she uses mainly Bluesky "which is excellent".

Now, here's my actual point - do I say anything about the reputation Bluesky actually has amongst most beauty professionals? I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and I know that's the main consensus on here!

Now the original poster obviously knows what's she's looking for with genuine CND shellac and won't be interested anyway....but do I say something on the thread about Bluesky for anyone else who sees it or just shut my gob?! I live in quite a small place and don't want to get anyone's back up and fall out with other nail techs, so I'm tempted to say nothing but continue to educate my clients about proper professional brands.

But what would you do in this situation?

(P.s. I'm only new posting on this forum, although I've lurked for a good while, so please be gentle with me ;))

It's a hard one. Obviously any professional knows as you said, that blue sky isn't a professional product. But then at the same time she's going around applying this to her paying customers and no doubt her prices will be equivalent to any other nail tech using professional products. What's more worrying is most people who are experimenting don't seem to shout about it. They don't promote it but she's openly admitting it which makes me wonder how qualified she is as everywhere that I know trains in gel systems warn you away from that stuff!

Maybe just say it in a polite manner? Not go in sounding with all guns blazing or even on her ?

Defiantly keep educating people though as I see too many people using blue sky and charging full price it's not good.

I would recommend sending her a private message gently warning her of the risks of this product. Try to sound unbiased and perhaps include a link to "Fake Britain". I can't locate it for you as I am in Canada (blocked) but I'm sure another lovely geek could help you out. You could also let her know about the products that you use and HOW you use them. It may be that she has already been misinformed and needs someone to be honest and educate her a bit on the products out there, in case she has an open mind.
Don't go arguing online about it as it just looks bad. Be the bigger person and do it right.

Personally I'd stay out of it. You live in a small town and reputation is everything. The OP wants genuine CND Shellac so most likely won't be interested anyway and tbh I can't think of a way you can describe Bluesky as being non professional without passing that label onto the tech as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would recommend sending her a private message gently warning her of the risks of this product. Try to sound unbiased and perhaps include a link to "Fake Britain". I can't locate it for you as I am in Canada (blocked) but I'm sure another lovely geek could help you out. You could also let her know about the products that you use and HOW you use them. It may be that she has already been misinformed and needs someone to be honest and educate her a bit on the products out there, in case she has an open mind.
Don't go arguing online about it as it just looks bad. Be the bigger person and do it right.

I like this way of dealing with the situation as your putting actual knowledge of the wider community and that of non prof out there without blasting her in front of there a simple pm she can then do whatever she wants but you know you've given her correct prof info ..... It's a tough one @ the end of the day we as professionals need to educate our clients properly ...... They might've been educated before now by a therapist, I'll use that term lightly, with wrong info and it's hard to re educate them ( also they might not even care what is used how it's used etc) however this client seems to know exactly what she wants and that's great, so as CND says "Shellac brings em back" 😍😍 and hopefully she'll go with her initial thought and have shellac applied properly and removed properly

It would probably end up a bun fight like it does on here, so I would not continue to engage on that thread. Like others have said it seems like the potential client knows what she's looking for, which is a positive.

I wouldn't respond.

The thing in bluesky has moved on from a few years ago. It is now used in colleges and training centres, has MSDS and is insurable. There are alot of techs using Bluesky and they are insured to do so. They have uk distributors.

They were taken to court and have removed the word shellac of their bottles and now they have come out on their own.

Its down to the client what she chooses. There are even many ladies on here who use bluesky but dare say. Times have moved and I think we should move on from the whole bluesky debate.

Also fake Britain did not mention bluesky. It stated that there are fake shellac and gel polishes made. Counterfeited to look like CND Shellac.

I use bluesky on my own nails. I was just wondering what was the problem people have had with it?

I use bluesky on my own nails. I was just wondering what was the problem people have had with it?

Originally it started off being called Bluesky Shellac. It's not Shellac but was riding off CND's success by copying the colours and using their name so was misleading. It is also sold to anyone via channels such as ebay and amazon so a lot of pros are put off as it's not a pro only product, even though you can now get insured and MSDS sheets are available. So, it's professional in one sense now, but still anyone can purchase it. Hope that helps

I really feel it's time the whole blue sky drama was dropped. It's not the nail techs battle it was CND's. Don't stress yourself out. As long as your busy & doing well.
Shellac, Gellish, blue sky, artistic colour gloss (the brand I use) can all be found for sale on eBay etc whether any of them are stated as professional or not & are genuine are not.

Educate your own clients, when they are with you, in a professional manor. Some care & some really don't, exactly the same as with NSS salons. Some clients just want the end results that last weeks & weeks not caring if it contains mma.

Put your energy in to the clients you have, leave other techs to make there own decisions bad or good, unless they are asking your advice obviously.

Save any drama, as if you respond to the thread I think you may end up looking bad, also the other tech may feel it's a personal attack if you message her personally.

Good luck, I do see why people get frustrated, but just let it go :)

I wouldn't get involved and at the end of the day different clients want different things. Cheap as chips or quality! I know people who are using bluesky at collegue now. I love my gelish myself x

Although Bluesky and CCO continue to operate as counterfeit products using CND's and Gelish's graphic identity and all, I don't think it's worth getting into it with this person. She has access to the same sources as we do and has clearly rejected that information. If she chooses to use counterfeit products, then so be it. You can and should make your clients aware of the difference as part of your education efforts.

I might point out that the notion that this was CND's battle and not ours is alarmingly short-sighted. While I am as critical as anyone could be about CND (and other brands), the integrity of our products is a critical issue in this field. I've worked for years now upgrading NSS salons, and the very first thing we do is get rid of counterfeit and sketchy products.

Really interesting to see everyone's perspective on the matter :) Yeah I just walked away from that thread and didn't engage at all. The original lady knew what she was looking for, and I didn't want to cause an upset with the Bluesky tech (especially as we have a few friends in common - too small an island sometimes!). I'll just keep on my merry way telling my own clients and potential clients about how great pro products are :)

Please don't shoot me - I only just started dabbling in CND shellac, at college we were only taught acrylic, hard gel, manis and pedis, and I'm only a year old to the industry :o

Is bluesky in it's self a bad product? or is it just the fact that they are stealing well known brands thunder?

edited to add; I am perfectly happy with CND, I'm not wanting to use bluesky, I'm just curious as to why it has such a bad rep

Please don't shoot me - I only just started dabbling in CND shellac, at college we were only taught acrylic, hard gel, manis and pedis, and I'm only a year old to the industry :o

Is bluesky in it's self a bad product? or is it just the fact that they are stealing well known brands thunder?

edited to add; I am perfectly happy with CND, I'm not wanting to use bluesky, I'm just curious as to why it has such a bad rep

It's due to them using CND shellacs Tm branding, ie the look of the bottle and the names of the colours were all the same leaving clients who thought they were getting " CND shellac" as it looked so similar until you looked closer it wasn't They were being ripped off by a brand who had done no consumer / trades tests no mention of what's actually in the product giving the professional all the knowledge needed if a client were to have a allergic reaction and come back to the salon, therefore leaving the owner in a very sticky situation due to insurances not being covered etc, and were branding it as shellac ( the patented name that CND own gel polish has) leaving the uneducated and non the wiser clients paying top dollar for what they thought top prof product with a lesser priced product and less kudos . I think I've got everything in there forgive me if I've missed anything out please add to :) just to add every tom dick n fleabay were selling it to joe blogs down the road setting up a "nail business" I'll use that term v lightly, to promote it as shellac and the poor professional who's worked their ass off training and educating themselves is now outta pocket because the salon down the road could and would undercut them by £10 or more.... Advertising for the same thing ... £10 less than the other, I know which id go for, the prof dips out but not forever, when the client realises her shellac doesn't last she'll go up the road and this will completely change her way of looking @ the "service" she's received previously and bingo she's a regular

Last edited:
It's due to them using CND shellacs Tm branding, ie the look of the bottle and the names of the colours were all the same leaving clients who thought they were getting " CND shellac" as it looked so similar until you looked closer weren't they were being ripped off by a brand who had done no tests no msds and were branding it as shellac ( the patented name that CND own gel polish has) leaving the uneducated and non the wider paying top dollar for what they thought top prof product with a lesser priced product and less kudos . I think I've got everything in there forgive me if I've missed anything out please add to :)

Just to add, CND successfully sued them is now they cannot use the name Shellac anymore. Xx

Just to add, CND successfully sued them is now they cannot use the name Shellac anymore. Xx

The most important part 😂😂😂😂 and the best outcome... CND all the way for me

Latest posts

Back