Ingrowing hairs and bumpy bits-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Keren

Creative Nail Studio
Reaction score
Bit of an embarrassing one but I'm at the point that I'm getting so ashamed of my legs that I just want to hide them all year round.

I started waxing my legs around two years ago and I've noticed that I've been getting more and more Ingrowing hairs and that my legs have developed bumpy bits. My legs used to be smooth and silky after waxing/shaving but I can't bear to touch them or get them out now. I was last waxed three weeks ago now and I counted 13 Ingrowing hairs on my lower leg the other day! Does anyone know what's causing this? I exfoliate once or twice a week and I moisturise. With regards to the red bumpy bits someone suggested body brushing but I did this for two weeks and found no real difference. Can some help me out please? I want my silky legs back!

I've included a (really awkward and unflattering) picture to try and show the bumpy bits.... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394726665.768322.jpg

I can't help sorry!! But my legs are exactly the same! I haven't got any ingrowing hairs and I've never waxed I just shave but my legs are really bumpy and because my hair is nearly jet black I've got like tiny black dots all over! Will be watching this thread! I hardly ever get my legs out in summer because of this! :( xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

You can get products for ingrown hairs but if that's happened regardless of the aftercare that you're doing, I'm tempted to say 'go back to shaving'.

Last edited:
Im also going to agree with kim here although im sure there will be a few geeks around to shoot me. I think some people just arent suited for waxing!! If you have tried everything and actually done everything the way you should then it could be that you need fo stick to shaving. Another possibility is the therapist. I dont know if you have tried more than one person but it could be a waxer that isnt fantastic and breaking your hair all over as opposed to taking out from the root properly. This includes if you are doing it yourself you are more than likely breaking them as the angle is not great when self waxing xx

I've been looking into products for ingrown hairs and bumps... Which ones would you guys recommend? I've heard no bump from ellisons is good? The topical solution or the scrub?

Just a few ideas

Gentle manual exfoliation in the direction of hair growth only.
Continue dry body brushing.
Try chemical exfoliants like salicylic acid (following instructions to the letter).
Give hand paste sugaring a go instead of waxing.

I don't know if it's available in the UK but first go with Jack's advice and 2nd I have clients that just have folliculitus as a whole and I have them use Glo Body exfoliant cleanser scrub and body cream. The scrub is salicylic acid and lactic acid and the cream is lactic and glycolic.

I agree with Kim. Waxing doesn't suit everyone including me! I always get loads of red spots with ingrown hairs in them and it's just not fair! Wax people day in & day out but it doesn't agree with my skin!

I am interested in the sugaring and thought is like to give that a bash but can't find anywhere that seems to sell it or that offers it locally to me to try it out? Is it a dead art?

I've been looking into products for ingrown hairs and bumps... Which ones would you guys recommend? I've heard no bump from ellisons is good? The topical solution or the scrub?
I have not tried the No Bump product myself but I have used some of the new product range from Perron Rigot. They recently launched two products for ingrown hairs; An ingrown hair serum which contains glycolic acid, which exfoliates the skin’s surface and refines its texture for easier hair extraction, together with bisabolol, witch hazel and aloe vera, which soothe the skin.

The other product is a double scrub which Ideal for use before and after waxing, it combines a chemical and mechanical exfoliation which helps yo prevent the formation of ingrown hairs.

Jack

I am interested in the sugaring and thought is like to give that a bash but can't find anywhere that seems to sell it or that offers it locally to me to try it out? Is it a dead art?

It's certainly less available than waxing but is having a come back. Try Beauty Sugaring - The Home of Anukis Sugaring Paste (Sugar Wax) for Body Hair Removal for at home DIY sugar or look for a Body Sugaring Training Course and Sugar Paste - Alexandria Professional qualified practitioner. You may be able to speak to Carolynn at AP who can tell you the nearest practitioner to you.

I have not tried the No Bump product myself but I have used some of the new product range from Perron Rigot. They recently launched two products for ingrown hairs; An ingrown hair serum which contains glycolic acid, which exfoliates the skin’s surface and refines its texture for easier hair extraction, together with bisabolol, witch hazel and aloe vera, which soothe the skin.

The other product is a double scrub which Ideal for use before and after waxing, it combines a chemical and mechanical exfoliation which helps yo prevent the formation of ingrown hairs.

Jack

Thanks for the mention, Jack! It's definitely worthwhile trying out products if normal exfoliation isn't working - ours are all available on our UK website :)

Hi,

'Ingrow Go' by Skin Doctors is very good. They have a website and I think Boots sell it x

I use lycon's ingrown X-it which contains salicylic acid which I find great on my ingrowing hairs. It's so easy with it being a spray as well, literally as soon as I've dried from the shower, spray a couple of squirts then massage in, making sure I wash my hands straight after. No nasty smell like some other ingrowing hair solutions xx

I suffered really badly from ingrown hairs on my bikini line and legs, also my hairs just grew in so quickly after waxing. I have had IPL on my bikini line and now having laser on my legs. Perfectly smooth skin, as if I have never even grown hairs.

Expensive but well worth it for me :)

Does IPL work if you are quite fair? I've been told there has to be a big difference between skin and hair colour for those treatments to work.

I really do recommend prevention is better than cure.

A simple dry brush and then some baby oil works a treat on my clients. Trouble is that we all think that because we've bought the brush that we're using it. You have to do it.

Perron Rigot have brought out a fab range for ingrown hair prevention if you're looking for a top brand. Some on the market are very drying and harsh on the skin and these are not at all.

I really do recommend prevention is better than cure.

A simple dry brush and then some baby oil works a treat on my clients. Trouble is that we all think that because we've bought the brush that we're using it. You have to do it.

Perron Rigot have brought out a fab range for ingrown hair prevention if you're looking for a top brand. Some on the market are very drying and harsh on the skin and these are not at all.

Amen Sista! Prevention ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Does IPL work if you are quite fair? I've been told there has to be a big difference between skin and hair colour for those treatments to work.

It works better on dark hair!

I don't personally do ipl/laser but I think that you can now get IPL combined with radio frequency that works better for lighter hair. Perhaps ask at your local salon what they offer.

I used to use an epilator and I got so many ingrown hairs that it actually hurt when I got goose pimples! I used tendskin, a scrub in the shower, and tweezers but I'd still get them so I've had laser done now so I don't have to worry about leg hair ever again! I'd recommend a getting it done even if you don't have ingrowns. Also when you're shaving I think shaving in the direction of the hair is supposed to prevent ingrowns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back