Insurance question re waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Helloo everyone!

I'm intending to do a course with Kim Lawless but I'm concerned about insurance. I know that her courses are accredited by Babtac but I would not be able to be insured for anything else with Babtac as I do not/would not hold any C&G/ITEC/etc qualifications, does any other company (preferably the Guild) cover her courses? Would I be able to get separate insurance with Babtac for waxing alone?

Help appreciated! x

You can get insured with all companies, including abroad. I had a student today from Japan and she's getting insured for my courses.

I have lots of students who are insured with The Guild. Hope that helps.

Ooh yay! Thankyou for your reply Kim!
I've looked on the Guild website at their directory of training schools & your name isn't on their, I suppose it's nothing a phonecall won't clear up, thankyou again :)

Hi,

Kim Lawless courses are not accredited by the Guild.

For insurance and membership purposes we are only able to accept qualifications which have been accredited by us. This is so that we know the standard and quality of every course and trainer we offer cover for. Courses are assessed against the National Occupational Standards and we have minimum standards for the qualifications of the trainers.

All accredited courses are listed on the Beautyguild.com Training Directory enabling you to find an accredited course within your area. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call on 0845 2177 383.

Thankyou for the reply!

Well I'm with Salon Gold and they cover all my accredited courses and I have trained with several different places (including doing Kim's intimate waxing course recently).

Salon Gold give me the cover I need at a great price and I am very happy with them.

Ooh will look into them also, thankyou! I'd actually forgotten about Salon Gold!

Hi,

Kim Lawless courses are not accredited by the Guild.

For insurance and membership purposes we are only able to accept qualifications which have been accredited by us. This is so that we know the standard and quality of every course and trainer we offer cover for. Courses are assessed against the National Occupational Standards and we have minimum standards for the qualifications of the trainers.

All accredited courses are listed on the Beautyguild.com Training Directory enabling you to find an accredited course within your area. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call on 0845 2177 383.
Really!!!!!! Well I beg to differ as I know for a fact that many of my students are insured with The Guild. I'll let them know that they need to change insurers if they've been insured by you by mistake.

BABTAC will cover you for a lot of courses that aren't C&G or ITEC. They do cover for a lot of smaller/shorter courses, and I thoroughly rate them as an insurers. Hope that helps. Have you booked for Kims yet?

Just to clarify for anyone that doesn't understand how accreditation works.

The trainer, ie me, chooses who they want TO PAY a lot of money to have their courses accredited with. I chose BABTAC and I'm very pleased with my choice.

Not having your course accredited by a company simply means that you chose not to. For me it was purely for financial reasons. I don't see why I need to pay hundreds of pounds to various insurance companies every year who have never even met me, let alone seen my technique.

I have been offered free accreditation by a few companies so that'll I'll recommend them to my students but I declined and I'm happy to recommend all insurers without any favours in return. I know a lot of companies in the industry who don't have to pay for their courses to be accredited. I don't blame them at all. I just like to do my own thing.

Whoever you get insured with, make sure that they don't stipulate that EVERY course you ever do has to be accredited by them or you'll limit your training options all round.

Ooh yay! Thankyou for your reply Kim!
I've looked on the Guild website at their directory of training schools & your name isn't on their, I suppose it's nothing a phonecall won't clear up, thankyou again :)
Just go to another insurance company. I chose not to have my courses accredited with The Guild as I don't feel the need to. I'm very happy with BABTAC. Nothing personal to The Guild, it's just a matter of cost.

The trainer chooses the accreditor...........not the other way round. Just look around at the many rubbish courses on every beauty treatment possible written about on this forum alone and yet they all hold accreditation. Doesn't that speak volumes!

Last edited:
Hi,

" Kim Lawless courses are not accredited by the Guild. "

Really? I am more than a bit concerned to read this comment....

When I retrained with the Kim Lawless male intimate waxing technique I emailed The Guild to inform you them I had trained with Kim and that I would ONLY be using this technique and I was informed that this was fine and I scanned my certificates and emailed these across as requested and have continued to renew my insurance policy each year.

For absolute clarification when I wax my clients I only use the Kim Lawless technique so my question is on this thread is - AM I COVERED? YES or No?

Just to clarify it doesn't matter if the course is accredited by the Guild or by BABTAC etc.. so long as it is an accredited course you will be able to get insurance from somewhere.

Jack your concern is that the Guild have said they only cover courses that are accredited by the Guild and your insured with them for Kim's BABTAC accredited course and therefore they are saying your not covered - I think you need to email the Guild asap and get written confirmation of if your covered or not to continue waxing with Kim's technique.

Just to clarify it doesn't matter if the course is accredited by the Guild or by BABTAC etc.. so long as it is an accredited course you will be able to get insurance from somewhere.

Yes that's right.

I have trained countless therapists from all over the UK and from around the world. The ONLY company that say they won't insure my courses because I haven't paid them to accredit them are The Guild. Other insurance companies will cover courses accredited by other companies so therefore give you, the therapist, freedom to do whatever accredited courses you like.

However, many of my students tell me that they are insured for my training with The Guild which I'm delighted about. It seems very hit and miss. Yes, some of my students have chosen to leave The Guild because of this and I don't want that at all. I want us all to help each other in business.:Love:

Just for the record. I have no axe to grind with The Guild.......they're a great company and I respect them totally; they do an amazing job.

I don't give a damn who my students get insured with as it's not my business who people spend their money with and I don't make anything from recommending people. They just won't insure you unless every course you do is accredited by them.........lashes, tanning, waxing etc etc which really narrows it down for you.

Peace, Love and Wax

Hi Kim before we started all of this we looked into which insurance company to go with, in the begining we choose the Guild but before we payed any money to them we wanted to clarify the route with them that we was going to take, and I wanted to train with you, the Guild told me that I would not be covered with them if I did any of your courses !
So the solution to us was to go with BABTAC who we have been very happy with.
So to the guild I guess you missed out on our business!

Kind Regards

Mandy Flood
Decadence Nails and Beauty

So glad I read this thread as I nearly went with the Guild. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi,

We are glad we have got the opportunity to clarify some of the issues that this thread raises.

The Guild maintains very high standards of accreditation throughout. Our accreditation process helps to safeguard standards. It also means that we know the content and quality of every course that we accredit in order to offer our members insurance for that qualification. It would be highly irresponsible and dangerous of us to insure courses that we had not been through in detail. If other insurers are willing to accept any certificate, that says more about them, than it does about our processes.

When an application for accreditation is received we check the course content thoroughly. We also ensure that every trainer not only has qualifications and experience in their subject, we also make sure that they are adequately qualified to teach. We will reject any applications which do not meet our standards, which means students can book courses with confidence.

Our accreditation does not stop at the application. Once we have approved a course we will monitor any complaints received. We take them very seriously and we investigate each one thoroughly. If any school is found to not be maintaining high enough standards we will withdraw our accreditation.

If you take a look at the Beautyguild.com Training Directory you will see there are 380 accredited training schools and therefore thousands of accredited courses, meaning that the choice available to Guild members is far from restricted. We publish the list of accredited schools online and in each issue of the Guild Gazette which ensures that our members are fully aware of what is available to them and what courses we will accept for our membership and insurance.

I hope that this helps to clear up a few things.

Jack - as I'm sure you will appreciate, we are not able to discuss individual memberships on a public forum. I know a Director of the Guild has spoken to you this morning and clarified your own insurance position. If anyone else has individual concerns please contact us directly.

Im due to renew my insurance and am with salon gold but they dont cover face and body painting so im thinking of going with ABT as i looked into babtac and the women said they wouldnt cover some of my courses as they arnt acredited through them... But they are acredited... And ABT seemed helpful and said they were happy with all my certs xx

my warm waxing was acredited with ABT this is one babtac wouldnt cover :-\

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

This goes back to previous threads, where I have spoken in favour of companies like BABTAC who will only insure you when they have seen a copy of your certificate. That way there are no grey areas. Imagine the scenario where you have spoken to your insurance company and they say 'yeah, yeah, waxing course, that's fine, we'll insure you'. They don't ask for your certificate - this applys to a lot of insurance companies. You then have a claim made against you. You contact your insurance company. Only then do they ask to see your cert. You show it, and suddenly they say they don't insure that qualification/course etc. You are well and truly stuffed. You may have a case against the company, but good luck with that one!!!

Sound familiar? Make sure you are paying for insurance that actually insures you for what you do!

The fact they want to see your certificates before covering you hasn't protected Jack as he says in his post above (well the last page) that he rang the Guild & forwarded them a copy of his Kim Lawless BABTAC accredited intimate waxing certificate and was told yes he is covered - but if the Guild only cover Guild accredited courses then he has been waxing the Kim Lawless way & NOT been covered (I don't know if they have actually told him he or isn't covered, I am going on the fact they don't cover any other courses but their own, this tells me he wasn't covered).

It is your responsibility to ensure you are covered with your qualifications and I would ALWAYS advise that this is done in writing (an email is fine) so you can produce a copy of them telling you that you ARE covered with that certificate should they decide to say your not covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back