International Battle against MMA and NSS -- LONGGGGG

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkdwich

Reaction score
OK you guys all know what MMA is.. but maybe not NSS.. I'll explain.. NSS = Non-Standard Salon, which can be defined as:
Does not hold up to state regulations.. sanitation, use of MMA, non licensed, poorly trained... the opposite end of the stick being a fully compliant salon whether it be full service, nails only, high or low priced.

Less expensive can be perfectly OK as long as they follow state regs etc.. this would be a discount salon.... the difference between Kmart and Bloomingdales for instance.. price, value, quality.

There is no reason why a discount - lowered priced services - salon can not follow state regs and still offer less of the finer things.. spa services, massages with mani's pedi, no paraffin..

So with that said I will further explain I got a phone call this morning from a dear friend in Melbourne Australia, Jenny Markakis who owns a salon & a school down under. She is seeing more and more issues with MMA and work coming out of NSS shops and is outraged.. so angry she tells me she wants to make a consumer based web site to educate consumers and keep them out of those places..

I am all for not duplicating work here.. and told Jenny that I already have such a site, that I just revamped it completely.. and that it is getting over 9000 visitors monthly (no small chump change) with ZERO promotion - yet :smack:

I asked Jenny.. and now I will ask you guys.. to run yourself over to http://www.beautytech.INFO and take a look around..

What I would like to do is make this a more international site.. it is really but since all the articles I have there are from US papers and TV sites, it may APPEAR to be US based only..

So... Please take a good look around.. let me know if the navigation needs tweaking, let me know what you think might make it AT FIRST GLANCE seem it is an INTERNATIONAL site not just US based.. Let me know ALL your thoughts.

You are all welcome to add your salons to the Locator.. you need this special link to do that:

http://www.beautytech.INFO/ilink

I hope to be moving the Locator to a better system soon and will move all the salons into the new system when the time comes.. not to worry :)

If you have links to articles from YOUR newspapers or TV exposes' (is that spelled right?) please give me the links so I can snatch the article up.. if the article was only in print, if you can scan it and email it to me I will add it..

All contributions to add to the site will be reviewed and added..

that's all folk.. hopw to hear from you all soon..

(glad all of you are safe and sound tonight..)

Debbie, just taken a look at your forum which I kinda recognise!!!! Now this is not good as I can see myself becoming addicted to your site too!! Still at least It'll be better to be called a Beautytech addict than a Geekaholic!!

Wishing you all the best in your inyernational crusade against MMA & NSS as these guys can sure be bad for the industry.

Thannks Sassy.. got a great response already from my forums.. will be implementing some immediate changes :)

I have recently had two ladies coming to me that have been tortured at NSS salons. I also showed them pictures of how bad it could have been if they continued to go there.

There are at least 3 within a 5 mile radius of me, I am mobile not based in a salon). The two ladies have told me that they dont speak engish, use e-files, dont sanitise and all the other things that we know they do.

Can I put some of the info from the site featured in the first thread on my website and leaflets? I really need to get these girls wised up to whats happening to their nails and can action be taken against me, by the NSS if I mention these places on my leaflets?

Hi,
Im sure it would be ok to use the information Debbie provided as she has posted it for the good of all us and I think she would be happy knowing that it is being used to inform the public.
If you click on the link with Debbie's name (www.beautytech.com) you can ask her direct as Debbie is the webmaster there.
Hth.

Maybe the Nail Geek site and Beauty Tech should work together in the common cause???

THANKS!!! its making my blood boil thinking about these bloomin salons. Might get the picket boards out and troll around outside em lol.

I really want to share all this with my customers or potential customers in a way they will undestand. I am not sure that by giving them the link to a website will prompt them to go read it but I certainly show them the comments about these places when they are waiting for their polish to dry.

As I have at least 3 of these places so close to me I feel it is my duty to try and inform as many people as possible about the possible damage that can be caused to their health and nails by the products they use.

I would loev to go into one and try and speak to someone about the products that they use, it really insenses me to think about it after seeing the state of my neighbours nails (her friend still goes and wont change her mind!!!!)

Any help appreciated on how to spread the word and obviously If there is anything I can do to help then i'm there already!!!

Sorry it's me again but I really have a bee in my bonnet about this now

Could this be of any use to anyone I.E. clients as it scared the hell outta me!!!

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylme.html

Im interested to see what this is but your link doesnt work hun!!

ladybgemini said:
Can I put some of the info from the site featured in the first thread on my website and leaflets? I really need to get these girls wised up to whats happening to their nails and can action be taken against me, by the NSS if I mention these places on my leaflets?

By all means.. the best article IMHO is MMA Facts for interviews. When I originally wrote this one, I had it looked over and proofed by some of the best and most knowledgable in the industry. Fell free to use any of the material there.. but please also besure to give credit where due.. wether it be just beautytech (use the .info though not .com) or the US Gov't or whoever/wherever the article originated from.

We should not be battling these salons, but instaed educsting both our current and potential clients. A well informed client, even one short on funds, will chose a salon that has ethics and sues proper sanitation and quality products

http://www.beautytech.com/articles

geeg said:
Maybe the Nail Geek site and Beauty Tech should work together in the common cause???

Gigi.. Sam and I go way back.. when he lived here in the states he found beautytech.com and joined up on the nailtech mailing list.. we have joined hands several times over the year for various causes.. unfortunately there isn't too much he or I can do about this other than educate you guys and in turn you educate your clients

ladybgemini said:
Could this be of any use to anyone I.E. clients as it scared the hell outta me!!!

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylme.html

#1 this is a very old article.. it is definately a US gov't site, and it is just asking way too much of your clients to go read AND comprehend this one :)

If you want to send them somewhere to read.. I suggest the www.beautytech.info site -- right at the top of the nails.info section is a load of MMA info that is consumer based..

wkdwich said:
Gigi.. Sam and I go way back.. when he lived here in the states he found beautytech.com and joined up on the nailtech mailing list.. we have joined hands several times over the year for various causes.. unfortunately there isn't too much he or I can do about this other than educate you guys and in turn you educate your clients

This site is getting more international by the minute and we love it. One or two new geeks have been rather patronising though in their comments as if we all here in the UK are just 'wet behind the ears'. We have had a thriving nail business here for 20 years and I may say (proudly) also boast the best trrained nail technicians in the world information-wise. They value quality education and They know about MMA as can be seen by this site. Sadly They are facing the consequences every day of these salons.

I just think its quite sad how some people value thier money over their safety. This is exactly why what your doing is a good idea. best of luck with spreading the word!

wkdwich said:
By all means.. the best article IMHO is MMA Facts for interviews. When I originally wrote this one, I had it looked over and proofed by some of the best and most knowledgable in the industry. Fell free to use any of the material there.. but please also besure to give credit where due.. wether it be just beautytech (use the .info though not .com) or the US Gov't or whoever/wherever the article originated from.

We should not be battling these salons, but instaed educsting both our current and potential clients. A well informed client, even one short on funds, will chose a salon that has ethics and sues proper sanitation and quality products

http://www.beautytech.com/articles

If it's ok with you i'll put a link to your site from mine and hopefully people will look.

Rachel

ladybgemini said:
If it's ok with you i'll put a link to your site from mine and hopefully people will look.

Rachel

Me too if that's ok?

You asked what we thought would make it look more interational at first glance - just one suggestion, maybe you could have the locater more international? - not sure how easy that would be to do but just a thought. Other than that it doesn't look country specific at all I don't think - great site. I shall be spending much time there in the future - reading!

Kate xx

kateyork1 said:
Me too if that's ok?

You asked what we thought would make it look more interational at first glance - just one suggestion, maybe you could have the locater more international? - not sure how easy that would be to do but just a thought. Other than that it doesn't look country specific at all I don't think - great site. I shall be spending much time there in the future - reading!

Kate xx

Kate yes that is first on my list.. if I ever find the time to do so !!

Latest posts

Back