Irrelevant interview questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am absolutely appalled by this thread!!!!

Let me tell you all, in no uncertain terms- these questions are not legal to be asked in interview! You are not supposed to be asked ANYTHING that is not directly related to your ability and skills to do the job. You can't even be asked about hobbies, because personal questions allow the perspective employer to discriminate against you. Maybe because they don't think watching the soaps is a good enough hobby, and you must be lazy, or maybe the fact your gay and they are homophobic, or maybe they think because your father served time in prison you must be a low life!

It's disgraceful and disgusting to defend this type of questioning. In an interview you find out what skills and qualities make a person suitable for a job. You can get enough information from their manner, their references... Then you get to set a trial time, and even put them on a probationary period of whatever you deem suitable. All to safeguard your business, an give you time to find out about who they are, what they are like...

I know from reading Naomi's previous posts that she is desperate to get a job and gain experience- so really it's up to you. If you get offered the job, I think Naomi is the only person who can decide wether or not to take it!

This is interesting as even though I am a lot older and not applying for an apprenticeship I was asked some questions that I felt were a little irrelevant when I was going for the stylist role I am currently in. I totally understand why from a business point of view as an employer you need to be sure you're taking on suitable staff but it can result in discrimination.
Once my boss found out my age (I am 26 but am fortunate to look a bit younger) I was asked:

Are you in a relationship?
Is it with a man or woman?
Do you live together?
Are you married?
What does he do?
Do you have children?
Are you planning on having children?

As far as I'm aware questions regarding sexual orientation and marital status shouldn't be asked to job applicants? I did get the job so not overly bothered but thought I'd add my experience :)

I don't know if these questions are illegal. If you were working in a high security government post (say MI5) these questions and many more would be asked. If they're allowed to ask these questions as a potential employer, surely anyone can. It's just up to you if you decide to answer them.

All the questions below are asked in the above kind of post.

NO GO AREAS
How old are you?
Are you married?
Are you gay?
What are your childcare arrangements?
Are you planning to start a family soon?
Are you a member of a trade union?
What political party do you support?
Source: Which?

I think it's very different for these kinds of jobs you'd expect to get interrogated. I think it's very unlikely to interview a terrorist in our industry

I am absolutely appalled by this thread!!!!

Let me tell you all, in no uncertain terms- these questions are not legal to be asked in interview! You are not supposed to be asked ANYTHING that is not directly related to your ability and skills to do the job. You can't even be asked about hobbies, because personal questions allow the perspective employer to discriminate against you. Maybe because they don't think watching the soaps is a good enough hobby, and you must be lazy, or maybe the fact your gay and they are homophobic, or maybe they think because your father served time in prison you must be a low life!

It's disgraceful and disgusting to defend this type of questioning. In an interview you find out what skills and qualities make a person suitable for a job. You can get enough information from their manner, their references... Then you get to set a trial time, and even put them on a probationary period of whatever you deem suitable. All to safeguard your business, an give you time to find out about who they are, what they are like...

I know from reading Naomi's previous posts that she is desperate to get a job and gain experience- so really it's up to you. If you get offered the job, I think Naomi is the only person who can decide wether or not to take it!

Quite frankly I am rather bored with this thread now...there are only so many times you can repeat yourself...this is where the dreaded "no win no fee" comes into play - good luck to the employers that will continue to ask these ridiculous underhanded questions - all I know is that I will never be on the receiving end of one of those letters....

Last edited:
Hi geeks,
Wasn't sure where to post this!

As some of you may know last week I had an interview in a hair&beauty salon for an apprentice hairdresser role.

At the time I did think some of the questions were a bit odd and irrelevant but kind of just went with it as I really wanted the job (find out this weekend if I've got it or not) once I got home and told some of my family members about these questions they didn't seem happy.

I've been stewing over it and thought I'd ask you all if these are normal questions to ask cuz I'm struggling to see the relevance..

Some of the questions were

•Are your parents still together?
•Who do you live with?
•What do your parents do for a living?
•Do you have any siblings? How old are they?
•Are you in a relationship? What's his name? (She wanted surname too) What does he do?
•Has anyone in your family been in trouble with the police?
•Do you have any friends?

And there were a few more which I have forgotten. Please tell me if these are normal, it just seems a bit nosy and more like a police interrogation than an interview!

Thanks x

NaomiP, I have followed your posts and felt your frustration at not finding a post for apprenticeship. I am going to agree with others that I find it inappropriate some of the questions you were asked :-(. I understand it might be indicative of the kind of person they have employed before but I still feel those kind if questions should never be asked and it doesn't reflect well on your interviewer for them to be asked. But how did you feel apart from the strange questions? Do you think it was somewhere you would want to work? I wish you all the very best and hope that if this was the job you wanted that you get it. X

I admit I haven't read all the thread but my job that pays my bills is a recruiter.
All you have to remember is to make sure is that you are not discriminating in any way. Discrimination can be very costly if a claim comes your way.
If you need to know things there are ways to go about it without asking direct and uncomfortable questions. Friendly dialogue usually is all you need

I think it's very different for these kinds of jobs you'd expect to get interrogated. I think it's very unlikely to interview a terrorist in our industry

Yes but my point is that if THEY'RE allowed to ask these questions, surely any employer can, for whatever reason they see fit?

Yes but my point is that if THEY'RE allowed to ask these questions, surely any employer can, for whatever reason they see fit?

I'm not an employer but no I don't think they should be allowed to ask whatever questions they want.
Only the ones that will effect your work
Your personnel life is not their business.
Which is not the case for all jobs, a lot of jobs need background info and security checks for the whole family.

There are new rules regarding criminal record checks and only listed professions are permitted. You should check out the rules online. Also the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act applies.
In other words, you may want to know things but you are not always entitled to know whatever size your business is.

I'm not an employer but if I was going to employ someone there are some things that I would definitely want to know before hand.
An example from my last job was a woman who came into the company as a much needed Maths teacher, Two months in she announced she was 6 months pregnant.
My manager was devastated, she had only got three months of work from this lady and then she left on early maternity leave and the company had to pay for a member of staff it no longer had. This lady knew she was pregnant but kept quiet because she knew you cannot be dismissed for being pregnant but you can be passed over for a job.
Personally if I have to answer a few random questions to get the job that I want I am willing to do so, there are too few jobs in the current economy to turn one down before you've given it a fair chance.

I'm not an employer but if I was going to employ someone there are some things that I would definitely want to know before hand.
An example from my last job was a woman who came into the company as a much needed Maths teacher, Two months in she announced she was 6 months pregnant.
My manager was devastated, she had only got three months of work from this lady and then she left on early maternity leave and the company had to pay for a member of staff it no longer had. This lady knew she was pregnant but kept quiet because she knew you cannot be dismissed for being pregnant but you can be passed over for a job.
Personally if I have to answer a few random questions to get the job that I want I am willing to do so, there are too few jobs in the current economy to turn one down before you've given it a fair chance.

Sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely not legal to pass someone over for a job because they are pregnant! That is sex discrimination. It may have been "inconvenient" but to do anything other than give her the job just because she was pregnant would have been illegal.

Sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely not legal to pass someone over for a job because they are pregnant! That is sex discrimination. It may have been "inconvenient" but to do anything other than give her the job just because she was pregnant would have been illegal.

I don't think Kristalinx has misunderstood the law at all.

She was simply relating her experience of an interview candidate who knew she would be going off on maternity leave within a short period of time of starting the job. This would obviously have a detrimental impact on the employer (and existing staff) with the hassle of re-advertising, interviewing, period of induction etc. to fill the vacancy again as well as paying out for maternity pay.

Hmm, reading this thread, would the question
"Do you have any allergies or illnesses that would affect your work as a hairdresser?" Be considered 'rude' or a step too far?

I've always asked that question, as I feel that I need to know about things like nut allergy/ latex allergy etc. or should I keep quiet in future and just wait till they blow up like a balloon when I scoff a packet of peanuts near them?

Which is best?

I'm not saying it's "legal" but it's so easy for an employer to just say "sorry you didn't have the experience we were looking for" and take on someone who is not pregnant.

"Do you have any allergies or illnesses that would affect your work as a hairdresser?" Be considered 'rude' or a step too far?

I've always asked that question, as I feel that I need to know about things like nut allergy/ latex allergy etc. or should I keep quiet in future and just wait till they blow up like a balloon when I scoff a packet of peanuts near them?

Which is best?

I'd like to know more about the laws surrounding this. I have a medical condition that leads to me being absent from work more than the average employee. I have always fully disclosed the details of my illness to employers however I have found myself being sacked for attendance before. I am careful to make sure I get doctors notes for absences but this does not seem to make a difference.

I'd like to know more about the laws surrounding this. I have a medical condition that leads to me being absent from work more than the average employee. I have always fully disclosed the details of my illness to employers however I have found myself being sacked for attendance before. I am careful to make sure I get doctors notes for absences but this does not seem to make a difference.

Absence from work is a capability issue, HOWEVER there are strict laws regarding employers having to make "reasonable adjustments" for any disability. Whether people think it's inconvenient, a hassle or not, there are laws. If you employ people, rather than making flippant remarks about whether asking certain questions is rude or illegal (there's obviously a difference), you seriously need to seek the advice if a competent HR Professional or Employment Lawyer. Ignorance is no defence and sarcastic comments will get you nowhere in court. Understand your responsibilities.

Which is best?

Ha aha ha hahaa you do make me chuckle with your sarcasm.....would you still ask the same question if they walked in with an arm missing and three fingers from one hand or even a leg? ha ha ha I actually have tears from laughing so much...

I am sorry, Krystalinx, to read that you have health issues, and I hope they improve.

I'm not implying in your case, but in some cases an employee's regular or prolonged absences can place a big strain on other members of the team, who have to take on extra work, and also badly affect budgets.

I do also know of a minority who work the system by taking the maximum time off, and then miraculously getting better on the day they have to be back before pay gets reduced.

We ask those sort of questions because when overwhelmed with applicants we want to find the trouble free, stable people who won't have family dramas dominating their lives.

It's normal in a lot of jobs to have a criminal record check, and certainly not illegal to ask if you have a criminal record. You will be around cash and stock, so need to convince an employer that you are trustworthy, and don't have people close to you who would pressure you to steal.
Nothing sinister, just them trying to find out if they can put you in a position of trust.

Totally agree 100%

You are not supposed to be asked ANYTHING that is not directly related to your ability and skills to do the job.

But could employers not say that some of these things could be related to your ability to do the job...?

Latest posts

Back