Irresistible Foils with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hiya, I've done a search but can't find the answer.
Ive ordered a few foils from s2 that have arrived today. I'm wanting to use them with shellac.
Can you add it to the tacky layer or do you need to finish the shellac service then use a foil adhesive? (Because I didn't buy any)
Thanks
Sam
Xx

Ive ordered a few foils from s2 that have arrived today. I'm wanting to use them with shellac.
Can you add it to the tacky layer or do you need to finish the shellac service then use a foil adhesive? (Because I didn't buy any)
Thanks
Sam
Xx

I apply to sticky layer then shellac top coat

Thanks
Sam
Xx

Are you after full coverage or little bits? Little bits work fine in sticky layer. If you want full coverage use a dark colour ad your base. Don't know why but they work better. Holly aka fingernailfixer has a new video showing full coverage. I didn't completely believe her so tried it on pops yday, some worked but a few didn't so tried the ones that didn't on dark colours (Blackpool, Asphalt and Fedora) and she was right the dark shellac colours work best. You could use adhesive if you want and I think I remember seeing somewhere that glitter tattoo glue works well too xx

Thank you! It was Just little bits that I wanted to do. Going to have a look at Holly's videos now and have a play.
Thanks for your help :) xx

u6ypyjyr.jpg
These aren't irresistible foils, these are from nail delights. The blue ones are done on azure wish and red glitter foil on wildfire. The one on far right is little bits the rest are full coverage.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

Does any body know how to use a foil glue? I got the glitzy lips primer as a glue and failed miserably :( xx

Does any body know how to use a foil glue? I got the glitzy lips primer as a glue and failed miserably :( xx

I don't think the glitzy lips glue works on nails. If you are applying to shellac the glitzy lips foils work perfectly in the inhibition layer of the colour coat. Xx

I've never used foils so going to venture into them!

With shellac when you put on the tacky layer you wouldn't need to use glue? Only when using on acrylics or gels, am I right?

If you just want to add bits of foil over the shellac (or any other gel polish), paint your colour as normal then press down quickly onto the inhibition layer of the colour coat until you get the coverage required, then I put on 2 coats of Top Coat. If you require full nail coverage you are better to use a foil adhesive (I purchased mine from nail delights as I don't think S2 sell it), place a layer of glue over the colour (no need to wipe the inhibition layer), the glue will appear blue, wait around 2-3 minutes until the glue has gone completely clear then place the foil onto the nail and press down well over the whole nail and remove and voila! then apply your top coat. hth

I've never used foils so going to venture into them!

With shellac when you put on the tacky layer you wouldn't need to use glue? Only when using on acrylics or gels, am I right?

With acrylic or gels you would removed the inhibition layer to finish file so therefore they would need foil glue to adhere, but if you were adding a colour first before the foil, you would add shellac and then use the inhibition layer the same as if you had applied shellac to natural nails x

foils work lovely in the tacky layer of shellac but you have to work quite quickly so that they dont dry out a little. when you use a foil glue you have to wait for it to turn clear so that its not too wet before you start applying foil...hth

foils work lovely in the tacky layer of shellac but you have to work quite quickly so that they dont dry out a little. when you use a foil glue you have to wait for it to turn clear so that its not too wet before you start applying foil...hth

Top film of CND Shellac will not dry out. You don't have to fork quickly with foils. Make sure you are using small pieces for targeted adhesion of the foils.

If you want full coverage, press a piece of foil onto the nail and then use a rubber hoof stick (that we use with Minx) and work your foil in.

I would suggest to apply two layers of top coat and really make sure you are sealing the free edge to avoid chips.

The use of foils is covered in the CND Shellac Art and Style class.

I love these foils and there are lots of things you can do with it;)

Hope this helps ;)

I use foils from www.dollarnailart.com and they have a slight powdery film over the back. I find that if you remove this film with IPA, the foil with stick better to the Shellac inhibition layer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

Thank you all!
Had a play last night and your advice has really helped. They came out lovely :) xx

How does everyone apply the foils to colour pops, I tried today and failed big time! I did one colour coat of shellac and then the foil but it just wouldn't stick!

How does everyone apply the foils to colour pops, I tried today and failed big time! I did one colour coat of shellac and then the foil but it just wouldn't stick!

I had this problem too on my colour pops the other day. I apply 2 coats of colour. (I used Gelish though) and nothing stuck :( xxx

Foils don't seem to like Gelish in my experience, its ok if you don't want full coverage, but if you do want full coverage you have to use the foil glue.

Foils don't seem to like Gelish in my experience, its ok if you don't want full coverage, but if you do want full coverage you have to use the foil glue.

Oh bummer :(
Ok thanks I'll get some glue xxx

In a separate thread I've asked how its best to use foil glue with foils....does anyone use this? Xx

Latest posts

Back