Is a tan dangerous when having a cesarean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
As the title says, one of my friends is going in for a C-Section next Monday, but the day before that on the Sunday, she's at a Christening and wants a spray tan doing (yep even I laughed at her thought process!!). She asked if it would be harmful for when they open her up on the Monday (having done the tan on the Saturday) and to be honest, I've no idea!! My initial reaction was "nooo you can't do that" but that's purely based on my thoughts rather than fact!!

What do you think - should I spray her or not?? Would it be so settled into the skin after 48 hours that it wouldn't harm or do you think it could cause infection (which is my main concern)??

I would say no based on the fact that having a c section surely the skin should be as clear as possible to prevent any infection afterwards (I know they clean the area obviously but I mean more so after wards) but I wouldn't know for sure. If you ring up your tanning company I'm sure they will be able to tell you if not she should be able to check with doctors/midwives etc

I would say it would be ok they will thoroughly clean the skin, but to be in the safe side just have her where underwear that would cover the area as a section scar is really quite low a normal pair of bikini briefs would cover it :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes its safe. They clean the area with Iodine and a few days before they usually give you a bottle of sanitiser to wash your body and hair in.
Also think of it this way, anything going on her skin will be absorbed so its not going to somehow get into her womb

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It shouldn't make an iota of difference! Your wound site is cleaned with hibiscrub or iodine before first cut, tan on it isn't going to affect anything! She won't be able to move much afterwards though, probably go patchy when it starts fading if she can't exfoliate/wash properly :p

Do make sure she knows not to have gel or acrylic nails on though, they apparently interfere with your blood ox monitor (the clip on your finger when you go into hospital) and I've seen surgical nurses pull them off people's nails - OUCH.

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No shellac or polish at all

Aww thanks everyone, that's reassured me - she's one of my best friends, so didn't want to do anything that could cause her problems... bless her for wanting to go in for the section looking glam in the first place (even if she is using the christening as an excuse, haha!!)
And thank you, yes her nails are off!
Xx

Slightly off topic of the original post...Ive had to be sedated on 3 occasions, & I've naughtily just taken one gel overlay off... They twice checked if it would work anyway on an overlay (black might I add) & machine worked fine. The third time I didn't bother & the nurse said it works properly through gel & acrylic. She said the equipment used in theatre is exactly the same. They are just funny about it.

On the other hand, they like no make up as your skin is a good indicator to how well you are. I did joke I would have a tan before next time 😊 & she just smiled.

Xx

On the other hand, they like no make up as your skin is a good indicator to how well you are. I did joke I would have a tan before next time 😊 & she just smiled.

Xx

Well that's a point - she'll look all healthy and glowing and maybe a poorly grey colour underneath!!!!
Haha, I'm half joking here, but I do get why the hospital would say that! Well I'll tell her what we've all discussed and let her be the decider - I'm pretty sure she'll be going in a glam mummy to be though!! Thank you xx

Does she need her tummy tanning?? What is she wearing to this christening?! lol

Why not just tan her face, arms and legs?

Although I had a spray tan while pregnant and the back of my legs didn't develop!

Slightly off topic of the original post...Ive had to be sedated on 3 occasions, & I've naughtily just taken one gel overlay off... They twice checked if it would work anyway on an overlay (black might I add) & machine worked fine. The third time I didn't bother & the nurse said it works properly through gel & acrylic. She said the equipment used in theatre is exactly the same. They are just funny about it.

Xx

I know, I've put them on my own hands and they've worked fine! It's one of those old fashioned rules isn't it? Surgical staff are a law unto themselves, and imagine waking up with all your overlays pulled off! I'd be raging, I can't even think about it!

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No shellac or polish at all

Yep agreed, no shellac or polish (fingers and toes) and she might as well leave all her jewellery home too.

I agree with the others that no issue as area will be cleaned pre op. She night as well have a tan before her section because she probably won't feel like having one too soon after....I've had two sections and I think I spent two weeks post op on both occasions looking like Wurzle Gumage before I could be bothered to consider my appearance again....lol x
:Love:

Does she need her tummy tanning?? What is she wearing to this christening?! lol

Why not just tan her face, arms and legs?

Although I had a spray tan while pregnant and the back of my legs didn't develop!

Yes I did actually suggest that as she is more bothered about her arms, face and belly, but then she was worried she'd look silly in theatre - I mean honestly, you gotta admire her enthusiasm for the glamour cause!! Haha! Xx

Yes I did actually suggest that as she is more bothered about her arms, face and belly, but then she was worried she'd look silly in theatre - I mean honestly, you gotta admire her enthusiasm for the glamour cause!! Haha! Xx

Arms, face and LEGS - not BELLY!!! God almighty, that would be an interesting christening outfit at 9 months pregnant!!!!!

Arms, face and LEGS - not BELLY!!! God almighty, that would be an interesting christening outfit at 9 months pregnant!!!!!

Like a humbug sweet lol

Ha ha bless her. Remember trying to find the perfect bikini for my water birth!

That bikini is still unworn in my cupboard... No idea what I ended up wearing actually lol.

Ha ha bless her. Remember trying to find the perfect bikini for my water birth!

That bikini is still unworn in my cupboard... No idea what I ended up wearing actually lol.

I was naked as the day I was born for the whole thing ;)

YOU GOTTA HAVE A TAN! I had a wee top up last night as I was going for a smear this am :Scared:

In the last couple of yrs iv had a few operations and had a lovely golden glow each time, wouldnt dream of someone seeing me half naked and white - oh the shame :Love: Iv also had 4 bubbas (inc a c section) and no white no be seen. The only comment I got was that one of the surgeons was well impressed that it was out a bottle. As for nail enhancements/shellac they were pretty strict if I remember rightly, it interferes with the pulse thingy and the nail bed shows any change in oxygen level very quickly (or something)

Ha ha Kinkyboots, actually there was lots of people taking photo's while I was high on morphine and not able to shout at people, maybe a nice tan would have made those photos look better... Slightly :/

You girls are making me laugh out loud. Am currently in hospital after having an operation. Have just caught sight of myself in the mirror and am now wishing I'd had a spray tan, I have never looked so pale!

Latest posts

Back