Is age just a number?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Reaction score
So, I've posted on here before about working in the beauty/make up industry and my position at this time and my career goals. Today I spoke to a lady about studying beauty therapy level 2 at 1,595. I know this is a good price for what you learn and the time spent. Have also thought about a refresher course within the nail industry as this interests me and I have experience gaining qualifications in gel and acrylics though a time ago! And worked within a salon.My most recent beauty position was on make up counters and have gained qualifications in facials, manicure and beauty consultancy. Massage has always interested me as I got a diploma in sports massage......This morning I applied for an apprentice position (I know the pay will be poor as its an apprentiship) but would really like to give it a good go, and of course be a valued work collegue. The position is for nails level 3, plus other salon work. I am hoping the employee will see I have experience and am very passionate.... Here comes the age thing!!! I'm 34 but don't feel it and as many other 30 year olds ask myself, where's the time gone and feel like my opportunities are passing me by. I believe life is what you make it, and at the moment I am working in a restaurant, with the hope that either the money fairy or a chance to prove my passion and worth will come... Soon! What are your opinions on taking on a mature apprentice? Be gentle!! :eek: xx

I'm the only geek with no comments, anyone a salon owner/manager that has an opinion on my thread?xx

I'm the only geek with no comments, anyone a salon owner/manager that has an opinion on my thread?xx

I honestly think age isn't a problem in some respects it's a bonus, I would assume that you would be more reliable as perhaps you have more responsibilitys.
The only thing with younger employers perhaps is that they are maybe more easily moulded into what an employer wants.
If you don't get this opportunity, why not set up as mobile and get some experience that way?
I really enjoyed being mobile, when I started out. :)

I'd take on a mature apprentice. My reasoning would be that you'd be more mature and hard working than a school leaver having sampled employment before and knowing what the cost of living really is.

I think if you show them that A] You don't mind the rubbish wage for the 12 months because it gives you a foothold and B ] You'd work hard to ensure that come time for your wages to be increased you would work hard to retain clients and not lose the business money then anybody would give you a chance :)

Latest posts

Back