Is car tax tax deductible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaB

Reaction score
Just about to pay my car tax and it made me wonder wether I can put it through the books as I spend 20 minuted driving to work so my car is well needed.
Although, I don't put petrol through as I thought it's a bit complicated with not having an accountant yet.

Car tax is an allowable expense, but you need to work out how much of your car usage is for business purposes. It can be an estimation, for example 60% of the time you drive for business and 40% you drive for non-business related activities. As you are only allowed to claim for business related expenses, in the example above, you would be able to claim 60% of the cost of your car tax.

You are not allowed to claim petrol for journeys to and from work, but any other business related journeys you can claim for petrol. Like if you drove from London to Scotland to pick up a manicure table (just as an example!) then that is fine.

All of this assumes you are self-employed and a sole trader and not a limited company.

Oh, and I'm an accountant part-time and a beauty therapist part-time, so please ask if I haven't made myself clear or you have any other questions.

Lucy x

Hmm I bet I use my car 95% of the time for work.
Tend to use my partners car instead on our days off
Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back