Is Gelish better than Shellac for problem nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
for those that use both do u find gelish lasts longer on problem nails? I love shellac and its fine for reasonabley good nails but even with brisa lite gel im finding my own nails which r peely and I am quite tough on them only last a wk before starting to peel at free edge. Just wondered if worth stocking some gelish for myself and similar type clients or r some of us just a lost cause! Lol Thanks x

I can't speak for Gelish, but Shellac was never designed for use on clients nails, that are weak, flakey or bendy. Thats why I use Bio Sculpture Gel, as it has been designed to suit all nail types. Whats more Bio is the Original everlasting manicure, which was formulated over 25 years ago, and the first ever coloured soak off soak (160+ colours available) ;) Why settle for less, when they are one of the best, if not the best :)

I have weak peely nails and only get 10 days out of my CND Shellac, even with IBX and Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel. I did my training with CND so I know I'm applying correctly and follow aftercare advise religiously. None of my clients have this problem, as their nails are not peely like mine. I introduced Gelish for this very reason and I get 2 weeks wear out of it and clients get 3 weeks wear. I ordered colours that aren't available in CND Shellac to compliment my collection. I hope this helps. ;)

thank you �� that's good to know that gelish has worked for you, do you use your shellac prep products with gelish eg. Scrub fresh/d sperse? I have heard good things about bio its just gelish I easier for me to buy a few bottles at a time at sallys without big p&p costs and vat free days also helpful �� x

I suffer really weak peeling nails. I brought in gelish for myself really and I love it I have been using it for about 14 weeks and have finally after being a nail tech for 4 years have natural nails to be proud off. Shellac and shellac brisa smoothing just didn't last on me. I love shellac too and intend on using both and have now started using it on a few clients too. My clients go 3 weekly and I get 2 weeks.

P's I don't mix the prep products I carry both brands

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I love gelish. I have a few clients who I have done both cnd shellac and gelish on. They preferred the gelish as it lasts a lot better on weak nails and gives them extra strength, the shellac didn't reach two weeks and they could feel the difference. Hope this helps!

thank you í ½í¸Š that's good to know that gelish has worked for you, do you use your shellac prep products with gelish eg. Scrub fresh/d sperse? I have heard good things about bio its just gelish I easier for me to buy a few bottles at a time at sallys without big p&p costs and vat free days also helpful í ½í¸Š x

I use Gelish PH Bond, I don't buff the natural nail and the rest of the CND PEP products. I was told by a few fellow techs that they also do this and it works well :) x

I find that shellac doesnt last on me either, thats why im trying gelish products!! X

I can't speak for Gelish as I've not tried it but I can't imagine that any client with problem nails is going to be perfect for either. I have recently invested in Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and it's working fantastic as an add on service to Shellac with a cost to the client of around £5 on top of Shellac and they're getting three weeks out of it. Hope this helps x

Gelish without a doubt. It is a gel polish as opposed to shellac which is a normal nail polish/gel polish hybrid so it's harder wearing.
You can also try vitagel under Gelish too to strengthen the natural nail xx

It depends on what the problem is. Shellac is a hybrid, so it performs similar to a regular nail lacquer and does well on healthy nails, even brittle nails. But when you need strength, I think the 100% gel of Gelish does better and takes abuse better than CND Shellac. Shellac is more porous "tiny tunnels" which is both good and bad, but Gelish's topcoat is acetone resistant and tougher. But there are lots of ways to address clients who want more strength but still want Shellac - there's IBX, VitaGel and of course, Brisa. Sometimes you just have to keep trying to find the combination that works for that client. That's why I think it is useful to carry more than one brand, so you can customize for the client.

And here I am, thinking I'm doing something wrong...
I turned to Shellac only recently, and can't get 2 weeks out of it. I had only practised on hard gel so far (yes yes taking this very slow) and couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. Barely lasts a week... Glad to know it's not just me.
So, I can't invest in Gelish now as well, because I got my first shellac polishes just a couple of months ago and still getting the hang of it. I also don't have either of the cnd lamps (uv or 3c). Can that be the case? What do you suggest I should do?

I use CND shellac but it's no use for weak & bendy nails

And here I am, thinking I'm doing something wrong...
I turned to Shellac only recently, and can't get 2 weeks out of it. I had only practised on hard gel so far (yes yes taking this very slow) and couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. Barely lasts a week... Glad to know it's not just me.
So, I can't invest in Gelish now as well, because I got my first shellac polishes just a couple of months ago and still getting the hang of it. I also don't have either of the cnd lamps (uv or 3c). Can that be the case? What do you suggest I should do?
Not using the proper lamp would be why it's not lasting.

Well from what I've heard here, it wouldn't last much either. Good thing I've searched this forum as I'm thinking of switching to gelish
And I was like minutes from buying a 3c lamp, hehe...

If you use IBX under shellac it lasts much longer. Basically the nail stiffens up with the strenthener so the shellac stays on for longer.

I have a few clients that shellac will just not last onthey may get a week at a push then I tried Gelish and they would get around 10 days but Gel ll lasts ages on them and they can get up to 3 weeks wear. I don't buff the nail plate with gelish or gel ll and find they both last perfectly well I also find Gel ll removes a lot better as there is no base coat so you don't get the residue looking stuff off the base coat which takes time to get off!

Gel II is sounding fab tbh.

Latest posts

Back