Is Gelish, gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celebalook

Reaction score
I know it sounds stupid, but i am a shellac user and posted this in the gelish lovers group with no response:eek:
anyway my new client came in saying she had gelish done and it came straight off 3 nails 2 days later, went back had them repaced and it happened again so hence my new customer:cool:
she asked the difference between shellac and gelish onloy i am not to sure, i said i think that gelish is a gel polish? and shellac obviously a power polish etc. so is gelish just a coloured gel? like i know as gel nails instead of acrylic etc please advice so i can inform her next visit.

ps she is on medication for thyroid, blood pressure and chloesterol etc so don't know if this affected her gelish, but being the professional i amdidn't slag the other therapist off and said it could be down to numerous things, we are trying shellac to see if it stays on fingers crossed.

she has no peeling nails but looked dehyrated and i asked if she used cuticle oil or solar oil etc, she not advised to after her gelish treatment, is that right??? surely she should should use some kind of cuticle oil as with shellac

please help asap thx

If her nails are dry, she should treat them. CND recommends using Solaroil after each application of Shellac. The healthier the nails are the better the polish will stay.

As far as the Gelish pealing of it is hard to say because there truly are so many factors.

1. Did the nail tech mix and match products?
2. Did the nail tech follow on the steps properly?
3. Were the nail techs products old?
4. How thick or thin were the layers?

I have read that CND stated they are the only hybrid nail polish or super polish and that all other products claiming a 2 week gel manicure that easily comes off are simply watered down gels.

Hope this helps.

~Jocelyn (Nail Artist @ Polishpedia)

Yes Gelish is a gel:)

Gelish – Performs like Gel – Applies like Polish – with a twist cap and applicator that cure in LED lamp in 30 seconds or 2 minutes in a 36 watt UV lamp. Gelish gives you weeks of everlasting colour with no chipping or peeling and soaks off completely in 10 minutes.

I'd say a Gel polish after reading the above. Gelish says it all... its kind of gel ISH... :) xx

I would keep it simple for clients ... They really do not need the science bit.

Gelish is a gel ... It is nothing like Shellac in any way apart from one ... They are both UV cured colour coatings.

Anyone who uses or has used both gels and Shellac can both see and feel a difference between Shellac and gel.

All UV colour coats perform pretty well the same as to longevity, wear and tear etc. The difference is mainly for the techs using them as to speed of application and removal and the number of coats needed to get an opaque true color. With gels the process is longer for than with Shellac.

In addition to what Gigi has said, shellac doesn't require buffing of the natural nail like gels do x

In addition to what Gigi has said, shellac doesn't require buffing of the natural nail like gels do x

I should also add that Shellac is hypo-allergenic which is an important point both for the user and the wearer.

I would keep it simple for clients ... They really do not need the science bit.

Gelish is a gel ... It is nothing like Shellac in any way apart from one ... They are both UV cured colour coatings.

Anyone who uses or has used both gels and Shellac can both see and feel a difference between Shellac and gel.

All UV colour coats perform pretty well the same as to longevity, wear and tear etc. The difference is mainly for the techs using them as to speed of application and removal and the number of coats needed to get an opaque true color. With gels the process is longer for than with Shellac.

It's really just a matter of preferences I think.

It takes me less time for Gelish than it ever did for Shellac.

I don't buff the nail at all when I apply gelish and its lasts just fine, just cuticle prep and a good scrub with scrubfresh. Exactly the same prep as Shellac.

Latest posts

Back