Is he dodgy???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleylmh1987

Reaction score
Hi does a barber need to be qualified or can he be self taught?

Reason I'm asking is my cousins bf is dodgy!!! Were trying to protect her that's all!

He is a barber in a shop but we are wondering if he will be insured and things! He refuses to do anybody's hair that he knows!

My uncle is pretty well off so he has asked him for £15,000 to set up his own business so my uncle wants to do a little research first!!!

Any advice would be appreciated

Spreading the nail love

A barber does need to be qualified and insured.

He could be shy and just not confident which is why he doesn't want to cut someone's hair who he knows, but it is a bit odd.

Why doesn't your uncle ask him outright? After all, he asked you uncle for the money.

Oh sorry should of made that a little clearer! Lol silly me! He has said he is self taught hence the reason were asking.

We don't know nothing about the hair industry so that's why my uncle is a little dubious about this new business adventure!

We need all the advice we can get! If he isn't qualified and he is working in a shop should something be said to someone! It's mens hair he is messing with.

Spreading the nail love

If he isn't qualified then he isn't going to have insurance - that's a problem.

It doesn't make any difference that he's just cutting mens hair. You have to do the training and provide your certificate for insurance. He's lucky he is just doing mens hair because they probably complain a lot less.

There's no difference between what he's doing and him going to Sally's, buying a wax kit and setting up a wax business. Would you want him waxing your underarms when he hasn't been trained?

Tell your uncle to stay well clear.

Maybe one way around it would be to have a business meeting and get your uncle to ask for a business plan. Get your uncle to explain that he needs to show why he needs so much money. Your uncle needs to act like a bank loaning money. Ask for his qualifications, where he trained and details of his insurance. If he can't provide them keep well clear or advise him to get qualified then reconsider once trained. Hth

Sent from my HTC Desire

A barber does need to be qualified and insured.

He could be shy and just not confident which is why he doesn't want to cut someone's hair who he knows, but it is a bit odd.

Why doesn't your uncle ask him outright? After all, he asked you uncle for the money.

If he is working on the public, he would need to be insured. he would have to have public liability insurance at the very least.

The sad fact is, to work in the hair industry you do not need any qualifications and you don't need to present any qualifications to obtain insurance.

If he is working on the public, he would need to be insured. he would have to have public liability insurance at the very least.

The sad fact is, to work in the hair industry you do not need any qualifications and you don't need to present any qualifications to obtain insurance.

Sophisticutz is absolutely correct about qualifications but your uncle could insist on them if his lending so much money, if only for his own peace of mind. Any self respecting barber/stylist would only be too proud to show off qualifications, in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Im sorry to disagree here but you dont need any qualifications to be a barber. Barbering nvq's are relatively new, all the old school barbers being self taught,or trained up in the barbers they work in. My friends mum has had a barber shop for 20yrs+ & never asks about qualifications when hiring,she has potential staff do a trade test or quite often ends up training people up herself. For insurance purposes you dont need certificates,altho u do if colouring etc. Altho the shop does have t have its own health & safety rules that all staff are trained on when employed.

I suppose it depends on what "self taught" means. If he has been shown and guided by someone whose been a barber for years then I would consider that to be slightly different. I understand though that there are barbering courses available and if he is as good as he is suggesting for such a large loan I would presume he would be happy to go on one. This would also help if he is still lacking confidence.

Sent from my HTC Desire

It's a sad fact that you don't have to be qualified to be a barber as long as you have public liability insurance then he can cut away, it's so weird the way this world works because to drive a car you need to pass your driving test plus to validate insurance, however you don't need to pass no test to cut throat shave even though your shaving near a garrotte artery. I personally think the government should start bringing in some legislations to ensure that to hold scissors and a open cut throat razor you should be qualified. I know some colleges won't teach barbering unless you've done hairdressing. On the other hand I do know of hairdressers who haven't taken any qualifications in hairdressing and have been successful in there work, so I guess there's always two sides of the coin

this is not my area but I had heard from the place I take my sons to is that a barber course is 6 weeks and the older lady there doesn't have a formal qualification. Don't be concerned over this next bit, I don't agree with it but need to highlight it as a concern for all to check that anyone carrying out a treatment has insurance.

The barber shop has insurance but again even though this is absolutely necessary, there really is no legal requirement for this is there? (I don't think) Granted you would not be acting in the public's or your best interest if you didn't have insurance as any claim would have to be paid out by you personally.

If you had possessions you would lose them, if you had nothing then the unfortunate client would not receive any financial compensation. If this bf has insurance then they must be happy with his experience, why do you think he is dodgy though?

Jumping in on this convo....I know somebody who one day woke up at the age of 25 and decided she wanted to go from an office job into being a hairdresser and in 24 weeks (one day a week!) is now apparently a fully qualified hairdresser/barber! drives me mad! i had to do one day a week for two years plus the extra 4 days in a salon all day to be qualified! unfortunatly there are alot of people doing our job that arent qualified and probably dont have insurance, but saying that...my insurance company didnt ask for proof of qualification! More hairdressers need to register with the hairdressing council and try to stub out these idiots that think they can do my job after minimal training!
and breathe :)

this is not my area but I had heard from the place I take my sons to is that a barber course is 6 weeks and the older lady there doesn't have a formal qualification. Don't be concerned over this next bit, I don't agree with it but need to highlight it as a concern for all to check that anyone carrying out a treatment has insurance.

The barber shop has insurance but again even though this is absolutely necessary, there really is no legal requirement for this is there? (I don't think) Granted you would not be acting in the public's or your best interest if you didn't have insurance as any claim would have to be paid out by you personally.

If you had possessions you would lose them, if you had nothing then the unfortunate client would not receive any financial compensation. If this bf has insurance then they must be happy with his experience, why do you think he is dodgy though?

Yes most defiantly I think his dodgy and probably using legal loopholes to cut corners. If you live by the sword you die by the sword and time will catch up with him

Jumping in on this convo....I know somebody who one day woke up at the age of 25 and decided she wanted to go from an office job into being a hairdresser and in 24 weeks (one day a week!) is now apparently a fully qualified hairdresser/barber! drives me mad! i had to do one day a week for two years plus the extra 4 days in a salon all day to be qualified! unfortunatly there are alot of people doing our job that arent qualified and probably dont have insurance, but saying that...my insurance company didnt ask for proof of qualification! More hairdressers need to register with the hairdressing council and try to stub out these idiots that think they can do my job after minimal training!
and breathe :)

Is she good at her craft though? You've kinda hit a nerve here, as i am in a very similar, though not exact situation! :eek:

Btw,in America you Have to obtain a licence, but in the UK, anyone can cut hair! I know HABIA are trying to push the government to get the respect due as for hairdressing,but it's a long road. Few colleges do Barbering courses and the few that do are highly expensive or too far to travel.

Personally I'd rather go to a professional who has trained though, it shows they're serious about the job and clients would respect you better if they see that certificate on the wall. It always puts me at ease ;)

Words from a wise man: Investigate Before You Invest!

I agree that there is no requirement for qualification for babers in the UK. And insurance is no problem, so long as you can pay for it.

If this bloke is looking to cut hair in his own shop I would recommend a rain check until you can check his skills!

Latest posts

Back