Is it a good idea to change a Salon's name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salon66

Reaction score
I'm looking at a salon I'm interested in buying but don't like the name at all. The salon is quite established and I was wondering if it would hurt business if I changed the name if I decide to purchase it.

Also, would it be better to change the name at the same time I buy it or run it under the old name for a few months and then rebrand?

I would change the name to your own choice. New salon, new start...new name.

Defo change it

does the salon have a good rep?
why are they selling it?

OK you dont like it but if its well known, well liked and bringing in good money i wouldnt change it at all! People may think "new owners, they are changing the name they may be changing everything else" and lose faith.

the salon I just bought had a rep as an old dears salon - so I changed the name to my salon name and now we are getting a younger clientele in. It works in both ways but I wouldnt change it just because you dont like it. xx

Thanks for the replies. LOL, completely opposing opinions. I can see both sides though.

I'm not 100% sure about the rep of the salon yet as I am still in the early stages of checking the business out. In fact how can I check the reputation of a salon?

ask people in the area? Go to local shops and say "is that salon XXX any good?" ask friends who live there, put something on your fb saying "who lives in XXX town, contact me please"

also i would call the salon to ask about a treatment, see how the staff are on the phone, will give you a good idea of what YOU think of the salon and what potential clients would think of them (this will contribute to reputation)

Some good ideas. I was going to get my wife to book some treatments to check it out if the information I get back from the vendor makes the business look feasible.

Drive past all the time, To see how busy it is on certain days/times and see what sort of clients they get in.

Also as you said already good idea to send your wife in for a treatment (win-win situation!)

Google them and see if there are already any reviews (I was recently looking at a salon and a small local paper had done a review)

Good luck :)

I agree- do some research and see what the rep was like first.

If It were down to me, however- I'd rebrand it in my own image, it immediately loses any "baggage" (good and bad- neither of which are in your control)- and gives you a good excuse (not that you need one) to really aggresively market the new name/brand.

I would personally change the name and then have a big relaunch/ advertise as a new owner with in the local area. This way you are starting a fresh start and have no worries about any previous issues if any.
Go round local shops/offices to spread the word x

i personally dont see the point in buying a business then changing the name...if you want to set up from scratch wouldnt it be better to get some premesis and start yourself rather than buying someone elses. i just think seems silly to pay for someones business then change it all

i personally dont see the point in buying a business then changing the name...if you want to set up from scratch wouldnt it be better to get some premesis and start yourself rather than buying someone elses. i just think seems silly to pay for someones business then change it all

Very good point. I think I would establish the reputation of the salon first. Changing the name has worked really well for us, but might not suit a salon with a good reputation. Best of luck!!

Latest posts

Back