Is it a Sign???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone feel that these shows have got greedy...??? sell stands to anyone, lets just make as much money as possible.

Why does this happen so often...something starts small...its great...they grow and get bigger...it gets better...they get massive and greedy and loose what made them so great in the first place.

I personally would prefer a smaller...less flashy show with the emphasis being on quality of those stands and not quantity.

Well said.
And if they ever come to Newcastle. Bonus, LOL.

After 11 years of visiting and working at the shows I believe they are only useful to people who have just entered the business, it allows people to get an overview of what's available.

The nail and beauty industry need to give their clients something different...the shows are too busy to give a satisfactory service to the people who need it.

When someone visits a stand and sees a 'name' doing a few nails, it looks great and very easy...this isn't the REAL world!!!!

It's far too noisy and busy to be able to talk to people and find out what their needs are or what problems they are experiencing and then help in some way.:(

Unqualified techs and therapists can buy product and get 'training' from their friend or workmate, then go on to cause harm to clients and/or the industry through lack of knowledge and training.:(

We girls love a day out, especially when shopping's involved, I don't think this is the right arena to be doing business that may seriously affect our future careers and pockets.

I also believe it is the industry's responsibility to show our clients (and prospective clients) a better environment with more time allocated for people, what is available on the market with regard to products, training and support.:idea:

Demonstrations, having a 'try', asking advice, listening and watching the experts...this is what is required...REGULARLY...not just on show days (and in the case of Scotland, ONE day a year).

We won't be 'showing' at the Scottish show this year but we are offering, we believe, a better alternative, half a mile away at our new Centre. We believe this will be much better for our clients who will receive a more personal service (AND BREAKFAST THROWN IN :lol:) This is just the start though, we will be doing things differently throughout the year....it's time we gave more to our clients and not just expect THEM to come to US.

Wowee well said. I m impressed. I will call in on my way to Ingleston. I m a bit fed up with the shows too last year was rubbish in my opinion. but I did spend a lot :eek:

I totally understand what everyone is saying about how expensive it is to have a stand at the show. Also having the tacky stands selling cheap jewellery etc. However, if the bigger more reputable companies were taking these stands then maybe the less desirable ones wouldn't get a look in, I don't know I'm just asking the question?

As a customer I was really disappointed to see that two of my suppliers were not there. I had saved up and armed with a loaded purse and replenished credit card I was all set to go! The NEC is also ideally situated, right on the airport and rail station in the heart of the country, an ideal location, with plenty of hotels, entertainment and restaurants easily accessible.

I was so thankful Young Nails were there as they have been ever since the show first started. Although they were exceptionally busy they still took time out to answer any queries people had and were demoing throughout the two days.

I also appreciate the comments about the shows being so busy that there is not enough time to spend on troubleshooting with clients etc but isn't that what training is for?

I also think that it would have been nice for all those nail techs that put the effort in to enter the comps to have had their suppliers there to feel that they were being supported and part of it all.

I would be all in support of a nail only show it would be fantastic but untill then it would have been really nice to have seen more than a few of the main companies putting in an appearance.

Anyway, thats my moan over, I'm off to soak myself in a mud pack, put my cheap jewellery on, oh, and that flourescent blue cheapo wig I got instead of stocking up my nail room! Lol xxx

Last edited:
I totally understand what everyone is saying about how expensive it is to have a stand at the show. Also having the tacky stands selling cheap jewellery etc. However, if the bigger more reputable companies were taking these stands then maybe the less desirable ones wouldn't get a look in, I don't know I'm just asking the question?

As a customer I was really disappointed to see that two of my suppliers were not there. I had saved up and armed with a loaded purse and replenished credit card I was all set to go! The NEC is also ideally situated, right on the airport and rail station in the heart of the country, an ideal location, with plenty of hotels, entertainment and restaurants easily accessible.

I was so thankful Young Nails were there as they have been ever since the show first started. Although they were exceptionally busy they still took time out to answer any queries people had and were demoing throughout the two days.

I also appreciate the comments about the shows being so busy that there is not enough time to spend on troubleshooting with clients etc but isn't that what training is for?

I also think that it would have been nice for all those nail techs that put the effort in to enter the comps to have had their suppliers there to feel that they were being supported and part of it all.

I would be all in support of a nail only show it would be fantastic but untill then it would have been really nice to have seen more than a few of the main companies putting in an appearance.

Anyway, thats my moan over, I'm off to soak myself in a mud pack, put my cheap jewellery on, oh, and that flourescent blue cheapo wig I got instead of stocking up my nail room! Lol xxx

You cannot expect many companies to attend shows when the costs of the show outweigh the benefits. It is as simple as that.

When show organisers make the costs reasonable enough so that the suppliers can benefit from attending then companies will attend .. complain to the organisers if you are disappointed. Don't attend if you are disappointed. You can still buy the things you want without attending a show. There are even special offers available while shows are on, from some suppliers. Take advantage of it.

If the costs are ridiculously high, then companies won't be there although as I said some did still attend and must have benefited from gaining new customers as well as their existing ones seeing them there. Obviously though, I appreciate its never good for a company to be losing money. I didn't know that I was going to be disappointed until after I attended, I remember looking at the stand layout last year and there were companies there that didn't appear on the list. I also was not aware that any companies that were not there were making special offers.

I'm not complaining Gigi but I was disappointed that Creative and Calgel weren't there but I stocked up with my Young's products and had my eyebrows threaded, ouch!! :eek:

Its such a shame the shows have ended up this way isnt it!!

I remember as a student going to my 1st show in Manchester and thinking 'wow this is brill' but once id qualified and worked in the industry for a while and went to excel i was a bit disapointed tbh!

Id love to go to a more small intimate roadshow etc, I live in Germany now and it will cost me a lot of money to fly over and for hotels but id be willing to pay for that kind of show as it would be really beneficial!

xxxx

You cannot expect many companies to attend shows when the costs of the show outweigh the benefits. It is as simple as that.

When show organisers make the costs reasonable enough so that the suppliers can benefit from attending then companies will attend .. complain to the organisers if you are disappointed. Don't attend if you are disappointed. You can still buy the things you want without attending a show. There are even special offers available while shows are on, from some suppliers. Take advantage of it.

well said !!

Gina xx

Latest posts

Back