Is it advisable/possible to thin down a thick toenail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
I've got a client booked in for a pedicure and she says her toenails are really thick. Is there anything I can do to thin them down at all?

Any help greatly appreciated!

You can lightly buff the surface before polishing but I would leave things like thinning to a trained chiropodist or podiatrist if you have not got that kind of training.

You can lightly buff the surface before polishing but I would leave things like thinning to a trained chiropodist or podiatrist if you have not got that kind of training.

Thank you for that, Geeg! As always the best advice! :hug:

I'll buff gently with the 240 side of my trusty Koala! I wouldn't dare go in gung ho with an electric file or anything like that! <shudders>

Thanks again!

thank you for that bit of advice geeg ...i have a few clients with thickened little toenails and have asked me to thin them out but ive refused & left them well alone ..ive always just buffed them gently now i know to refer them to a chiropodist.

I turned a client away today because she had a thickened toenail which looked like it may have been a fungal infection (she wanted hollywood toes). I've told her to get it looked at by a doctor, and if she has got a fungal infection I will be happy to do her toes once she has applied the appropriate medication and the fungus is no longer live.

I turned a client away today because she had a thickened toenail which looked like it may have been a fungal infection (she wanted hollywood toes). I've told her to get it looked at by a doctor, and if she has got a fungal infection I will be happy to do her toes once she has applied the appropriate medication and the fungus is no longer live.

She needs to see a chiropodist or a podiatrist not a GP. They know little to nothing about foot and nail conditions and that is what chiropodists are trained to do.

She needs to see a chiropodist or a podiatrist not a GP. They know little to nothing about foot and nail conditions and that is what chiropodists are trained to do.
i disagree
most gp's are very able to diagnose and treat a fungal nail infection - depending on the severity -if systemic medication is needed they will need to prescribe it.

i disagree
most gp's are very able to diagnose and treat a fungal nail infection - depending on the severity -if systemic medication is needed they will need to prescribe it.

In my experience they haven't had a clue!

i disagree

i agree with geeg ..i had a problem 5 years ago where my little toenail became very painful ..there was no sign of infection according to her & ive always looked after my feet .after several visits later the doctor couldn't see anything wrong with it she refered me to a chiropodist ...it turned out i had a ingrown toenail and i had to get the toenail removed.

Thanks for thar Geeg, I will do this in future.

Latest posts

Back