Is it just me-lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMA

Reaction score
Rant:
I started up my own mobile business this year (doing lashes and now brows), but have found it quite difficult to get the customers in and it's getting me down.
And then I see people in an around my district putting posts about how they're nearly fully booked up til christmas and urging their "regular clients" to book now so they're not disapointed. BUT THE PHOTOS OF HER WORK ARE AWFUL! Even the one she's used as her cover photo displays individual lashes all stuck together... then further down they show some very heavy looking sets that look, in my opinion, like a hideous spidery mess. But people are commenting saying how good they look! I just don't get it!!!
Then I know someone else advertising express lashes as "last weeks and weeks" and "up to 9 weeks" and has used at least a few photo's from the internet of lashes and brows...
How can I compete with this?!
Why are they doing so well with their dodgy work and I'm struggling when I'm doing better quality work and with prices that aren't that different to theirs?
What am I doing wrong?
Sorry to be a b*tch about others peoples work... I'm just getting really annoyed now about my currently failing attempt at being self employed!
X

I'm in the same boat. I could advertise more but I haven't. Why not offer 10% of 1st clients?

In a word HYPE. It makes clients think Oh my god they must be good if they are all booked up and voila, it achieves more bookings.;)

Try it, if it works for others why not you?

I'm in the same boat. I could advertise more but I haven't. Why not offer 10% of 1st clients?

I did one better! 20% off. Finishing that promo soon though lol

In a word HYPE. It makes clients think Oh my god they must be good if they are all booked up and voila, it achieves more bookings.;)

Try it, if it works for others why not you?

I never thought!
I don't like lying though haha I'd say I'm nearly booked up but then when someone calls and asks when I'm available I'd slip up and be like "oh I've got loads of spaces" :/ lol x

When I was starting my business, I didn't focus on searching what other say and have on their statuses. I focused on doing a good job. I also concentrated on creating a good looking, professional website with lots of pictures.
Seeing is believing :)
Invest in a good camera (iphone photos, or mobile photos dont look professional and dont even show the effects of your work).
Most of pages have just a few pictures and they're bad quality :| Or they just get the pics from the Internet. Who would trust them!? I've taken over 400 pictures of my work and that's what brings me clients. They can see what I'm doing.
Also - website - try to make one. Professional, good looking, informative and with lots of information about what you're doing. That will make miracles, believe me!
Dont charge too much, but dont charge too little either.. Too cheap may mean 'not good'. Cheap offers suggest you're desperate to get clients and that may mean you dont have a good reputation or have no experience. Who would trust you!? :) No one wants to be a guinea pig, specially when they need to pay for that ;)
Advertise!! Gumtree, local newspaper, online ads, forums, Facebook.... Internet is magic!
Good website and good pictures of your work - essential! As long as you're good ;) If not yet - practice, practice, practice! Even for free! The more you do, the more pictures you take, the better! And then surprise others how great portfolio you've got! :green:
Dont give up! It's all in your hands!

Iwona
Dream Lashes
Fully booked til the middle of november ;)

Latest posts

Back