Is it just me or is it quiet?.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne1989

Reaction score
Is it just me or is it wayyyyy too quiet for my liking right now. My treatments are so cheap I may aswell just give them away! I'm posting all over Facebook, on gumtree... ALLSORTS!
I don't know what else to do.... What's working for you right now? X

It's not just u hun!!! Think it's a bit like that everywhere!!

Is it just me or is it wayyyyy too quiet for my liking right now. My treatments are so cheap I may aswell just give them away! I'm posting all over Facebook, on gumtree... ALLSORTS!
I don't know what else to do.... What's working for you right now? X

We are at the opposite end of the country to you and we are in the same boat. We are doing what you are with facebook etc but struggling. It's worrying but the country has been in recession before and come out of it. So I'm sure we will do it again. Just sit tight and cut back on what you can. I don't see the point in panicking, what will be, will be. Have you checked out Lynn Bakers thread on marketing yourself? I'm sure some other geeks will have the link for you I just can't find it at the mo.
Good luck and sit tight xx

I think a lot are in the same boat at this time of the year hun, i'm definitly quieter than i hoped! People are still skint from Christmas, and a lot get paid monthly and haven't had a wage since then.

Sit tight, it will pick up :)

Joanne, here is the link for the Lynne Baker thread that was mentioned.

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/83160-more-ways-promote-your-business.html

I am the same, but also having only started in December I haven't really had a chance to build up a client base yet either. Still I'm doing as much as I can, sitting and holding tight and hoping things will turn out fine in the end.

I think it is the same everywhere to be honest Hun,

I am extremely quiet, I was really down about it for the last few weeks but now I am getting loads of practice in with nail art etc and starting to try one stroke painting.

I am absolutely poor from Xmas and I think so is the rest of the country so the last thing I think of is getting nails and spray tan done. I couldn't afford it at the mo so I'm glad I can do my own treatments.

It will get busier just have to be patient :( x x

The first quarter of the year has always been a little slower for me ever since I've been in the biz. I feel for anyone just starting out right now with everything that is going on in the economy right now. You have to decide if you can wait it out or not.

Historically, it usually picks up at the end of January for us...just in time for Valentine's day. I think people are recovering from the expense of the Christmas season and feel they've over done it financially and need to cut back a bit.

Usually towards the end of January, people start coming in to purchase gift cards for their loved ones and they start booking services for themselves or others, especially for Valentine's.

We're featuring a Blueberry/Chocolate Mousse Pedicure for Valentine's Day to boost sales. Finger's crossed.

And remember, most people probably haven't been paid yet either.

Definatley the same everywhere! iv took on an evening job just to get by till things arent as bad! i have absolutley no time for myself but at least its bringing something in because putting offers wasnt helping. lets hope february gets better :D

It's strange really as this January has been one of the busiest months of the last 12 months for us, just behind July/August where we are always slammed, with tourists mainly. It took me by surprise really but I am not complaining!

So now it is lots of marketing for Valentines Day at the minute with various offers and special treatments.

Sometimes when you give your treatments away or they are dirt cheap that can go against you too believe it or not.

I had a cleint who told me she once saw an offer in a local paper for "cheap" nail services and off she went in her car to the ladies house, first no no as all services of this nature must be carried out in a licensed cosmotology salon in Florida, so straight away the nail person was breaking the law. So probably no insurance either.

So when my client arrived in the area, it was rough as you like, she was scared and scared to leave her car, she should have left (her own words) - but went ahead and said it was just a big mistake as the place wasn't clean, nails were just ok and although it was cheaper than having them done at a salon she would happily pay the extra to come in and would never be caught again, so every time she sees a cheap offer or deal she just thinks it will be a similar situation and shudders.

She found us this winter, has pedicures/ Shellac regularly but she gets about 3 1/2 weeks out of it which she is delighted with, us not so much:D:D.

So try not to price yourself so low that you price yourself out of the market, not everyone is looking for something for nothing, there are lots of folks out there that will pay the correct price.

I have to say, I am still very busy. And I think the above poster is right, if you make everything cheap people will think a few things like, there must be a reason it's cheap, they are struggling so I won't go in cos the tech may e miserable etc.

I wanted to close for the first week of 2012 but I was rammed to the rafters so that never happened and I was planning on taking a couple of days off a week until the end of march ( we are a seaside town) to get my house redecorated but that isn't working out either.

I must add, I do think that it is because I don't have loads of competition so maybe that is why. Ride it out, it's totally worth it! My advice would be to squirrel money away to compensate for the lulls, I have noticed over the years that it's always quiet after the hols cos a lot of people have to fork out for school uniforms, it picks up again at crimbo and then drops off in January.

Good luck xx

I'm finding the nails side busy-ish although down on, say, 2/3 years ago due to the recession. The tanning which I only trained for in September has been quiet but people say it picks up Easter time so fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back