Is it me and my nails, or my technician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelole

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having bio sculpture nails for nearly 6 months now, but have found that increasingly the gel is only staying on for about a week, and then either peeling from the sides or the tip. This is the second period of time I have been having the gels, but my original technician moved away, and it took me a couple of years to find a new one. The original tech used to spend a lot more time on the nails beforehand, always using cuticle remover and scraping with the metal thingie...Whereas the new tech just soaks off the bits of the old flaking gel, and then uses the stuff in the blue bottle (prep or something??) and goes for it...

When I had the nails done before, I am pretty sure they stayed on much better... But this was a couple of years ago, and to complicate matters, I am now suffering with very dry skin and probably nails, due to an autoimmune disorder I have developed which attacks the bodies secretions and basically dries you out...(Sjogren's syndrome)

I did ask the technician about it, and she said I was probably being too rough with my nails, and went on to tell me about two other clients - one who treats her nails well and can go 6 weeks without a refill, and another who picks wallpaper etc. with her nails who has the same problems as me. So I think she thinks it's my fault.

So really I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on this? I don't want to keep paying for gels if they don't work, but I struggled to find this tech in my area, so can't easily find another tech to see?

I love having gels, as my nails are very soft and brittle, and do not grow without it. I ahve always found acrylic too uncomfortable, like wearing too tight shoes...

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Leah x

hi, i dont do gel anymore but in my opinion i think maybe you need to have your nails prepped a bit more, if they are not prepped correctl then they will lift. As you had no problems before with your old tech who did the extra prep it really points towards this being the problem
hth

Hi,
It is possible that the Sjogren's syndrome is drying out your nail plate making it less 'flexible' therefor making the gel lift?
Also from what you've said it's possible that she may not be doing the correct prep before applying the product to your nail.
Were you given aftercare advice by your new tech?
It's important to use a good quality cuticle oil to maintain your nails between appointments, this will help to keep both the the gel and your nails flexible and less prone to lifting.
I'm not going to say it's the fault of the nail tech or yours simply a possible combination of factors from both sides.
HTH

Hi

Thanks for your replies, Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to blame - really I am just trying to find out whether it is worth persevering, either with the same person, or with a different person/gel system...

I did notice the difference in prep by this 2nd tech but wasn't sure if it was something that was part of the process, or something that the 1st tech just liked to do... Not really sure how to broach this with my tech tho - don't expect she will take too kindly to me telling her how to do it!

I have been putting Solaroil on my cuticles, but to be honest, although I do that, and use hand cream several times a day, my skin and nails on my hands are still dry and flaky...

I am wondering whether to just leave them for a bit, and see if I can try another tech at some point... I do have some nails which have come awayfrom the nail bed (left thumb and little finger) so maybe I should anyway to give them a chance to heal...

Thanks

Leah x

If they are coming off themselves before you go back give yourself a manicure and remove all the tissue from your own nail plates,then at least you know you have none there when you have your bio sculpture done.
Is she removing the shine from the nail plate before application.

Some hand creams and oils may not agree and may cause the lifting so use the oil and cream from bio sculpture.

It could be many things it may even be the bulbs in her lamp need changing but if she says other people are fine and she is being honest then i would say it is your condition and if your nails are coming away then you are right in saying you should leave them natural for now and just keep oiling.

If you find after you have prepped your own nails and they then stay on either you will have to do this everytime or ring the bio sculpture head office and they should be able to give you a list of people who do bio in your area.To give you more options, Calgel,akzentz,lechat do soak off gels and would probably also be able to give you contacts.

You say you do not like l and p acrylic but again the way your nails felt at that time was more to do with the tech and possibly product and if you find a good one, and there are many on here, you could give it another go and i think you would have a different experience with it.

I would give her a ring and explain the problems you are having and see what she says. If it were me I would work with you to find out where the problem lies and sort it out. Where abouts do you live? there may be someone here who lives nearby or knows someone who does hth

Hi, I live in Plymouth - anybody in the area? It's a good idea to prep for myself beforehand, then I guess I can tell whether or not it is this? My tech does buff the nails first with the white thing...

Thanks

Hi, I live in Plymouth - anybody in the area? It's a good idea to prep for myself beforehand, then I guess I can tell whether or not it is this? My tech does buff the nails first with the white thing...

Thanks

Are you a qalified tech? cos if you are not as youre profile suggests I don't think its a good idea you doing your own prep as you don't really know what you are doing and you could cause further damage to your nails. Also I don't see why you should have to as you are paying your existing tech to do it for you.

If you dont feel like she is going to take it well you questioning her about lack of prep or your concerns, I really do think you need to look elsewhere for a new tech. She should be open to your concerns and trying to find a solution not simply writing it off as its your fault cos none of her other clients have lifting problems save one who does DIY. To be honest its a bit insulting towards you. Also have you spoken to your GP about this cos the reason why the gel nails are lifting could be medical cos of your condition.

I hope you don't think I'm being funny about you doing your own prep but if not done properly it can cause a lot of damage and obviously thats not what youre wanting as you are concerned already. Good luck finding a solution, contacting head office about suggesting nail techs is a good idea :hug:

anne xx

Hi Annie,
No I'm not a qualified tech, but was going to just prep the nail by doing a manicure as suggetsed by one of the other replies... I am beginning to wonder whether I should try another tech, or gel type as you say - I will try and find an alternative system.tech in my area I think!

Thanks
:lol:

Have been looking at different nails systems, and wondered whether having one of the sculpted ones might be good for me?? I have always had problems with flat nails and nails which turn up at the end, meaning that tips are uncomfortable, and normally split down the middle and break... But sculpted may avoid that for me? One of the reasons I have liked the gel is that it is just coated on my natural nail...no tips!

Any advise on which type of thing to look for, and anyone who does in Plymouth?

Thanks
:)

Latest posts

Back