Is it okay to use nail enamel under gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eob

Reaction score
Had a new client yesterday who said that she had a french manicure and then gel was applied over the top. Just never heard of this being done before. Is it okay to do this?

Thank you
Em

it is possible if using a gel made for use over enamel...

I tried it with an normal gel finishing gloss and it was disaster...made sure that the enamel was well and truely dry but the enamel still went soft underneath and the whole lot just slid off the nails!!!!

Hi EOB

If I have done a polish for a client say for a wedding and they dont want there polish to chip, I do my usual french and apply bond and a coat of clear gel. This just stops it from chipping.
I know another client b/c of nail discolouration gets pink polish on her toes when getting gel toes.

HTH's

Nailschick

maybe is a uv top coat?

Creative do one thats ok to put over polish....i have it ...havent used it yet though.

I wouldnt think normal gel over polish would work but again i havent tried it because i always thought it was a no no:o

Amb x

It doesn't work unless the polish is 100% dry. If not, the whole thing just slides off the nail.

Your better just using a really good UV top coat.

Love

Claire x x:hug:

Do you mean the finishing gloss Amber? Is this ok to apply over polish?

ZOE! said:
Do you mean the finishing gloss Amber? Is this ok to apply over polish?

nope its a uv finish gloss....not the brisa one....i'll confirm the name of it when i get back !

When I was at college, there were two girls there who worked in a salon, they applied tips, then white french nail polish then builder gel over top. Thats the way they had to do it in the salon. xx

MINKUS said:
nope its a uv finish gloss....not the brisa one....i'll confirm the name of it when i get back !

Hi,
It's called UV Dry. I haven't had much success with it myself but have heard good things about it.

Carmen

or is it Heat Dry? that's the other one isn't it? i thought I'd get some at Excel, to give it a try.

UV Dry is cured with UV and Heat Dry is dried under a 60watt bulb.

you can get a sealer gel from sallys that is for going over polish i think its called quatro haven;t tried it yet as 2 of bulbs have blown.

i have the uv dry then !

not used it yet as i say what probs have you had?

thanks

amb x

I used it a couple times on a friend of mine and her polish chipped the next day both times. Mind you, I refuse to spend $300 dollars on another UV lamp just to cure this product so I've been using my own 36-watt lamp and just shortening the time. I'm sure that has something to do with it. I calculated it all out though and if I cure it for 1 min 40 sec then it would equal what the 20-watt lamp would in 3 min.
Do you have the specific lamp for this?

I use Forze & Nailite gels.

With both, I have had success putting gel over the polish. If you look at my site, you'll see a lot of 'funky frenchs' that are polish gel over top of them.

When doing this, be sure that the surface is buffed & dehydrated. Apply the polish.
Let it dry COMPLETELY and avoid using more than one coat.
VERY lightly buff the polish with a yellow buffing block.
dust & dehydrate
Apply gel, cure

hth's :Love:

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Em:)

Latest posts

Back