Is it really slow out there or just for me?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im a mobile beauty therapist based in Southend, Essex. I have been doing this since July 2010. Last year wasnt too bad I had good bookings every month. I wouldnt say I was fully booked all the time but had enough to keep me going etc.
This year isnt going well at all its the 23rd Jan and I have only had 3 beauty bookings since the 1st Jan. My prices are the same as any other beauty therapist and I have a few good special offers on at the mo. I had some regular clients last year not many. What am I doing wrong?
I am really struggling and want to know if there are any websites I could try advertising on? I have listed myself on all of the free lising websites that there are. I advertise on netmums and email my clients each month with offers.
Any advice or help would be great.

Thank you

January is a bad month...for everyone! Iv had a quiet month not quite as bad as what your saying tho, altho there has been weeks where ive quite concerned about the lack of clients and money im bringing in, im new to the salon i work in so im still trying to build up a clientelle, i advertise on free sites too and dont really have the spare cash to pay for advertising...its a horrible position to be in

Hi,

Thank god it's not just me!!

I've only just started a mobile business with nails, massage etc & since the New Year it's gone dead!

I also advertise on Netmums etc. From which I have been approached by a local school to be included in thier pamper evening.
So at the moment this is the kinda route i'm going down to get more business drummed up & to keep me ticking over.

Don't forget of course that lots of people may have been given salon vouchers as xmas pressies, so i'm telling myself that they are all just using those up, before coming back to me (haha)!

Good Luck x

Definitely get yourself on Freeindex I have had alot of bookings from people finding me there. Also do you have your own website? It's been such a worthwhile investment for me.
It is a difficult month though after Christmas x

Yes I have a website, I thought that was very important to have. Im in the top 5 in google list for mobile therapists in my area. I also put myself on Freeindex last week so hopefully that will help.

Really hope things will pick up, im trying to rack my brains as to what else I can do. I never really liked doing pamper evenings, as I never made much money but I may have to do them again.

T
x

anyone else finding things slow?? anymore advice?
Thanks

Hi there, Im mobile I was quiet for a few weeks after xmas, but its picking up now. January is always a quiet time....
Have you done a leaflet drop?? I find this the best way of getting clients.
What treatments do you do?? You could maybe use this time to bring in some new exciting treatments.
Do you have a facebook page?? xx

Hi Danielle,

I did a leaflet drop once but didnt get anyway from it, how many leaflets did you deliver did you get lots from that then?
I do tinting, shellac, manicures, pedicures, facials, waxing, Eyelash extensions and makeup.
I cant really afford to study anything else I want too but will have to wait to my birthday to ask for courses as gifts.
My facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pink-Beauty/117405615007958
but I havent many people that like my page how do you get it seen by lots of people?

Thanks

Tracy
xx

Hi there, Im mobile I was quiet for a few weeks after xmas, but its picking up now. January is always a quiet time....
Have you done a leaflet drop?? I find this the best way of getting clients.
What treatments do you do?? You could maybe use this time to bring in some new exciting treatments.
Do you have a facebook page?? xx

Ive liked your page hun!! I would read the thread on here by lynne baker loads of fab marketing ideas that people have added too will try find it!!x

Thanks for that link hun, I have read all of that and done nearly all of what she said to do. Not really helped so far. T x

I've actually not found it too bad this year, but i think i might just be one of the lucky ones.

If you do manicures and make-up, etc, you could try asking a local bridal store or/and freelance hairdresser if they would be interested in teaming up for bridal work.

Do you offer a loyalty scheme? All my clients that spend over £10 get a stamp and when they get 10 stamps, they can redeem it for a £10 voucher.

You could do a recommendation offer? I have two.
If you recommend a friend, you both receive 10% off first treatment.
If you go onto my facebook page and leave a recommendation, you will be rewarded with a £5 voucher.

If your clients aren't returning, as horrible as it sounds, maybe something isn't quite working....you could do a few treatments on family and friends, asking them to be brutally honest and also give your clients a little feedback form.

Or it could simply be the clients you've had don't have many treatments, or much spare cash.

Have a hard look at your website and see if is anything that needs changing. You could always link it on salon geek and ask everybody to check it out. The geeks are amazing at that kind of thing.

HTH xx

Think thats great advice flawlessbeauty, how long have you had your business hun??

Like with all things it will take time, it sounds like you are doing everything within your power so it is bound to happen. With any business you have to build it from the ground up.

I would look at your client experience, ie what do they see hear touch smell etc...

How do you present yourself, uniform, do you promote your treatments by 'wearing' them??

Do you take music with you to relax your clients and set the atmosphere?

Do all your towels match and follow your colour scheme???

Try using a fragrence which in time clients will assosiate with your visit and have positive connotations too... use this in fabric spray on towels, lotions, scented spray tan...

All just ideas to give you the real wow factor and proffesional edge against your competition.

Id also definitely put your website up for critique, keep a thick skin though if you really want honest feeback that will help you.

Your price lists etc look great btw, Im confident its only a matter of time hun it sounds like you have a head on your shoulders!! Just dont get diheartened and dont give up!!x

I must of dropped hundreds, and targeted areas where people live who aren't short for money (these are the clients who are very loyal and dont go looking for a cheaper alternative)....

I also promote my page on facebook on the local buy sell and swap pages, there are so many in my area... I also used to send my close friends an email on facebook and ask them to add there female friends to my group.

Also have you nails done etc so people can see your work too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158445890846711/ This is my group.

Have you been mobile for long??

I've actually not found it too bad this year, but i think i might just be one of the lucky ones.

If you do manicures and make-up, etc, you could try asking a local bridal store or/and freelance hairdresser if they would be interested in teaming up for bridal work.

Do you offer a loyalty scheme? All my clients that spend over £10 get a stamp and when they get 10 stamps, they can redeem it for a £10 voucher.

You could do a recommendation offer? I have two.
If you recommend a friend, you both receive 10% off first treatment.
If you go onto my facebook page and leave a recommendation, you will be rewarded with a £5 voucher.

If your clients aren't returning, as horrible as it sounds, maybe something isn't quite working....you could do a few treatments on family and friends, asking them to be brutally honest and also give your clients a little feedback form.

Or it could simply be the clients you've had don't have many treatments, or much spare cash.

Have a hard look at your website and see if is anything that needs changing. You could always link it on salon geek and ask everybody to check it out. The geeks are amazing at that kind of thing.

HTH xx

Thanks for the advice, I only normally do special offers where I they have two certain treatments and get one free or have one treatment and get another free. But the ideas you have mentioned sound great Thanks

I must of dropped hundreds, and targeted areas where people live who aren't short for money (these are the clients who are very loyal and dont go looking for a cheaper alternative)....

I also promote my page on facebook on the local buy sell and swap pages, there are so many in my area... I also used to send my close friends an email on facebook and ask them to add there female friends to my group.

Also have you nails done etc so people can see your work too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158445890846711/ This is my group.

Have you been mobile for long??
Think I should do a leaflet drop again then, sounds like a good idea and targeting the more expensive houses lol!
I have been mobile since July 2010

T
x

Good luck... I hope everything goes ok for you :) xx

I've been in business 4 years.

This has been my best January to date.

Salon geek has been the most incredible help, but i didn't find it for a little while.

I did an offer this January - buy any two treatments and get the cheaper one half price. It has been really good for business. I've still made money on the second treatment. It has encouraged people to have more done and it has also encouraged people to come more often. For example, i've had ladies come for pedicure and facials at the beginning of the month and then come back in 2-3 weeks, rather than four.

A few of them have liked the treatment they wouldn't usually have so much that they have rebooked for full price next month.

When i started out, i had a brilliant response from a leaflet drop, but i actually went round a housing estate that is part owned, part council. I went there as it is close to where i work. It was really good though because there were a lot of mum's and others that were free during the day xx

Hi! Leaflet drops are great but don't be tempted just to target the affluent homes - they're usually the ones with huge mortgages and less of a disposable income - I think it's a good idea to choose a treatment for the month and do an offer or do what's already been mentioned and do a combination offer. My business is only new - been open since October and I was kinda dreading January - but it's been grand! My regulars have returned for their maintenance treatments and I've had lots of new customers coming to the salon for my January offer which were Semi Permenant Lash Extensions - they in turn hav rebooked into Feb for their infills. Keep your chin up hun and I hope you have a FANTASTIC February xx

Hi! Leaflet drops are great but don't be tempted just to target the affluent homes - they're usually the ones with huge mortgages and less of a disposable income - I think it's a good idea to choose a treatment for the month and do an offer or do what's already been mentioned and do a combination offer. My business is only new - been open since October and I was kinda dreading January - but it's been grand! My regulars have returned for their maintenance treatments and I've had lots of new customers coming to the salon for my January offer which were Semi Permenant Lash Extensions - they in turn hav rebooked into Feb for their infills. Keep your chin up hun and I hope you have a FANTASTIC February xx

Thanks hun, im hoping February will be a better month. I have just sent a quick survey out to my clients so hopefully the feedback from that will give a clue as to what is going wrong. Tx

Latest posts

Back