Is it worth having a team or should I go back to working alone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
I am a salon owner (small) and I wondering if it is actually worth having a team!
I have been faced 3 or 4 times on the last few weeks having to reschedule clients due to team not being able to work - sick kids.
(I have 3 kids of my own btw).
One in particular feels they should be able to cancel clients due to sick kids as 'we are not machines'!
I work SO hard to gain clients for the team and never take time off but when anyone on the team does it I'm left in the lurch totally! Clients get peeved and I HAVE to fit them in somehow to keep them sweet - but its taking its toll!
Sorry but rant needed and I just wonder if it is really worth the hassle! :rolleyes:
Anyone got experience/thoughts?

It's a tough one! Have you sat & done the maths? Is it more worthwhile for your purse to have more clients but pay more staff?

If the financial difference to the bottom line is minimal you can say - this is how much money I'm getting for the stress of having a team, & decide that way?

I think it's incredibly difficult building a business if you have to heavily rely on your staff's support - no disrespect to anyone out there but it must be tough for salon owners to know who is out for themselves & who is supporting the business Xx

ah Pixiebeauty...you're message is missing! Any pearls of wisdom?

Haha no pearls but there's the message ;) xx

I can easily cope alone as solid customer base but I like the team spirit - and the services they can do that I can't!
My stomach turns when I get the message 'such a childs ill and I can't work'!
These are self employed so technically they should be replacing with another person to do the work as in a contract for services!
No muggins here does all the shifting and changing and apologising :mad:
Maybe the answer is to team up with a hairdressers :idea:

And that is why I've always prefered to work on my own and do not rely on others... everything's got it's pros and cons, but for me - it's always better to count on yourself only. Otherwise you're being let down the way you mentioned or some others... sad but true. My opinion :)

I can easily cope alone as solid customer base but I like the team spirit - and the services they can do that I can't!
My stomach turns when I get the message 'such a childs ill and I can't work'!
These are self employed so technically they should be replacing with another person to do the work as in a contract for services!
No muggins here does all the shifting and changing and apologising :mad:
Maybe the answer is to team up with a hairdressers :idea:

Hmm, tricky. Alternately you could put your foot down & say they will have to replace staff when they are off? I know it will be awkward & difficult BUT I guarantee if they had to deal with the consequences the number of days off would reduce-I'd put money on it.

Don't wish to sound harsh my lovely, and forgive me if I've misunderstood but from an outside perspective, sounds like your running around for them is actually making it easier for them to take the day off?!

I say stick to the rules, they were agreed at the outset & they are there to protect both your businesses & you can't go on like this! Xxx

I work on my own but a business close by has a whole team of therapists. What they do is have a list of reserve therapists (such as myself). If someone calls in sick they then phone round and see if someone is available to help out.

I'm not sure how much they pay their staff but i charge my usual fee for whatever treatment and they take the rest so the business owner probably doesn't make as much but is assured they have people they can call. I've been called about 4 times this year and could help out on two occasions. A bit of hassle but worth a thought.

I'm finding I make more money by a long shot just working on my own but I work very long hours and then I'm too tired to enjoy the money I've made. I could quite easily fill 7 days a week 12 hours a day with myself (I wouldn't dare though!)

I have a full time member of staff in to basically give me a life, give me a holiday should I choose to take one and take the pressure off me but no 2 ways about it I make more money on my own!

Thanks all! I spent a lot more since having a team as offering more services/need other equipment. I would have made much more on my own - and dare I say If I capped my hours have some time with my kids more too!!

Hi honey

I know you're protecting your business but really as they are self enjoyed surely they should be contacting the clients themselves and rearranging not you.

X x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back