Is Liquid vapours really safe for pregnancy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
Hi i havent done any research on acrylic and pregnancy but heard and thought it was pretty safe. But im still unsure and would like peace of mind. In my salon there are no windows whatsoever and we have 4 nail technician using l&p, so as you can imagine its pretty smelly. I am 5 months pregnant and suffered with morning sickness, it has seemed to stop apart from when i go into work. The smell constantly makes me feel sick and tired as i have clients booked in all day. Do you think this will affect my baby?

Has your employer done a risk assessment? All work places need to an individual risk assessment to all there employee's when there pregnant and then hopefully the smell & ventalation would have been covered in this.

HTH

hi zoe
i dont think u have to b concerned.
there have been studies done andi worked straight thro both my pregnancies, as did thousands of nail techs world wide, to no reported problems.
when i was preggers, my sense of smell was phenomonal! if someone across the room was eating a cheese & tom sandwich, i could smell the tomato!
i would imagine that your sense of smell has become more acute, which is why the smell has started to bother u.
the ventilation issue however is important, as 1 thing that def isnt good for any of us is dust.
mayb, wearing a mask may help just for this time?
hope the sickness passes soon:hug:

Have you no ventilation at all i think this is an illegal health and safety issue even if you were not doing nails.Four people plus clients in a closed area with no ventilation im sure would not pass a visit from health and safety.I personally would not agree that it is ok if you are feelin ill your body is telling you its not happy.Babies are tough little blighters so i wouldnt say you have harmed your baby but its hard enough being pregnant without feeling grotty from something that really should be avoidable.

Have you no ventilation at all i think this is an illegal health and safety issue even if you were not doing nails.Four people plus clients in a closed area with no ventilation im sure would not pass a visit from health and safety.I personally would not agree that it is ok if you are feelin ill your body is telling you its not happy.Babies are tough little blighters so i wouldnt say you have harmed your baby but its hard enough being pregnant without feeling grotty from something that really should be avoidable.
Just thought i would have a look on net about it and yes there is a requirement since 1992 if no doors and windows then mechanical ventilation is required in any workplace.

Thanks for the replies, you have put my mind to rest a little liza. I guess i just got too concerned. I was going to take up the ventiliation thing with my boss next week as there honestly isnt even one window in the salon and as for opening the door, its just far too cold! I am a bit scared as to what to say to her as i havent really got a clue whats legal and whats not. Oh and no i havent had a risk assesment done either.

Thanks for the replies, you have put my mind to rest a little liza. I guess i just got too concerned. I was going to take up the ventiliation thing with my boss next week as there honestly isnt even one window in the salon and as for opening the door, its just far too cold! I am a bit scared as to what to say to her as i havent really got a clue whats legal and whats not. Oh and no i havent had a risk assesment done either.

Honey get ON THAT ASAP!! There is very little risk involved when products are used SAFELY; working in a salon with no ventilation is UNSAFE.

Hope you get it solved QUICKLY ;)

congrats on the baby to be:D My understanding is that your baby is fine. HOWEVER, no one pregnant or not should be asked to work with out ventalation and extraction in place. I'm sure we had a thread on this a short while ago, (we seem to cover most things on a regular bacis) Do a search and be prepared to spend an hour reading the results:lol:

ventilation is the 1st thing u need to bring up with ur boss.
if ur employed, u will have certain rights with regards to health and safety.
even if ur boss reacts immediately, the ventalation system isnt going to b in 2moro, so work smart and b as safe as u can as far as your immediate working area is concerned.
only file onto a piece of paper roll and change it as soon as u see dust.
flold the papaer up carefully and put in bin.
use anti-bac wipes to clean ur table after each client. this will attract the dust, rather than push it into ur breathing zone.
if u r still worried, wear a dust mask from the diy store as these r much more effective than the disposable paper ones.
if u want some advice on speaking to ur boss, pm me.
keep well x

Thakns a lot everyone has been a great help. Im going to try and get it sorted next week

Latest posts

Back