Is my boss unfair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondebimbo

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am new to this site so please be kind.

I have a few issues with my new job and I wondered if I could get your opinions and advice. Here is my background…

I am a fully qualified level 3 BT and have been for 4 years. I use to work in a 5* spa working 45 hours a week where I earnt £17000 a year however I had to work Saturdays and Sundays and most evenings so I decided to work for a salon instead.

I now work for a salon for 40 hours per week Monday to Friday which I love however I feel the pay is a little too low. I now only get £14000 basic. I am on a bonus system which is approx £150 ontop of my wage per month and tips (I get £10 – £15 per week tips) which is ok but I was hoping for more to be honest. Is this the average wage or should I ask for a pay rise? I don’t want to sound greedy I just thought this was a little low. My friend at the spa is freelance and charges £30 per hour and another friend is on a 50/50 deal with her boss where she’s self employed and this sounds much better!

I also have a problem with my boss as I have some training coming up and she wants me to sign a form saying that if I leave within a 2 year period I have to pay a certain % back…am I obliged to sign it, is this normal? I do feel 2 years is a little harsh and being on a lower wage anyway I don’t see it as being fair?

My final issue is that I overran last week and my boss is no longer giving me time back in lieu or paying me over time for the minutes over. Her argument is we get more than enough time allocated and shouldn’t run late? Is this normal?

Ie where I work if we do a 9-5 we start clients at 9.15 (so we have 15 minutes to set up) and finish at 4.30 giving us 30 minutes tidying time at the end of the day…she says this is generous as most salons don’t do this – is this correct?

I’d really like some feedback as I can only compare it to my last job as I haven’t worked in another beauty establishment and this is my first salon job.

I look forward to your feedback

Emma :os

Hi!
It seems that, all added up, you are getting a similar salary for a position where you are working much more social hours.
I'd also say your boss sounds fair with her timings.
However, you are in charge of your career. You're well-qualified and experienced, so may be well placed to go self-employed.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but maybe remember that the grass is not always greener, hth x

Where i work we don't get any turn around time in between clients and time for setting up in the morning and cleaning at the end of the day is not paid. You are lucky that you get 30 mins at the end of everyday to clear up etc and get paid for it. For example if i start at 9 i have to get in at around 8.30 to set up (30 mins unpaid) and when i finish at 6 i then have to clear up which means usually i dont leave until 6.15 (15 mins unpaid) so with regards to that i think your boss is right.

Good luck :o

me again! just also check the training costs as most training is free, only a few companies charge for it so i would just double check.

Hi,
I would say that your boss is being quite fair. You need to look at it from her point of view, she most likely isn't charging the same prices as the spa you worked in charged, so your wages are quite good really. As regards your training, by asking you to sign a contract she is simply protecting her investment. She is paying for your training in order to improve the services offered by her salon, therefore she wants to see a return on her investment. If she paid all that money and then you went to work elsewhere she would lose out financially.
Although you could earn more being self employed, you would obviously be responsible for paying your own tax and NI, there would be no holiday pay, you would probably be working longer hours and remember, if you have no customers you earn no money.

You really need to bare all of the above in mind before making any decisions.

HTH :)

I'm guessing the pay %back in 2 years is in regards to her paying for the course, and I agree with her there.
If I was paying to put some1 on a course, id want to see the rewards from it not let them go and take the education too.

The wage I think is quite generous. Iv considered opening a salon, and when I do, all staff will be on minimum wage for their 6month probation period, And none would get over £2 on top after that. Regardless of qualifications or position.
And I would try to keep it fairly equal accross the board for all staff there with just a few penny's extra for some staff.

Then if I paid for the training, I would have a contract saying if they leave during or within 1 year of the training they will have to pay the full costs, after a year half the cost and within 3 years quarter, if it goes over 4 years then it's free. I would also include that if they were dismissed during that time they still have to pay or the amount would be removed from their final salary and possibly a bill for any other outstanding.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but employers need to protect themselfs too as you could just learn ad run xoxo

Hi,
As a salon owner, I use pretty much the same rule for training costs but mine is only one yes. I must admit after working in a few salons, that's the first I've heard of taking appointments 15 mins after start and giving you a half hr at the end of the day - thats really good of your boss actually imo. I agree that appointments are put into the system with the correct treatment time in mind, so again, in all the salons I've worked at if I've ran late ive not got paid for it but I've accepted it coz its kind of fair. But on the other hand if you don't think you're being allocated enough time or you're constantly running over or your bookings arent being booked in correctly - point it out to your boss and she should make some changes.
I think too many people seem to be under the impression salon owners are loaded and d selfish and basically shouldnt have any rights - only employees! its hard enough to make a living as it is in this climate.. So to expect massive amounts of money when working for a small company I would say is unfortunately a little unrealistic.. ok.. a lot unrealistic! And I'm sorry to say, can sound a tiny bit greedy. Show what your worth, work your way up impress boss and clients and build up clientele.. then you should be entitled to a rise and financial pat on the back! Good lines of communication with your boss is so Important!
Hope that helps xx

She sounds fair to me. I used to work in a spa and clients started at 10am so we were paid from 10am - we were expected to arrive at least 15 mins early to set up. Then clients finished at 6.30pm so we were paid until then, but had to stay to tidy up afterwards.

With regards to training. I was told that although a lot of training is free, they have that agreement of paying a % back because of the lost business where you are taken out of the salon for a day. When I did Elemis training, I think if I left within 6 months then I would have to pay back £500 to the spa to cover the cost of taking me out for a weeks training.

Not sure about the 2 years though, mine was only a year then I could leave without paying back - I assume because it would only take that long to recoup the money.

sounds completely fair to me, on all counts.

me again! just also check the training costs as most training is free, only a few companies charge for it so i would just double check.

Most companies charge for training surely?

Thanks for all your replies - it's been really helpful. Just to clarify the training was free ( i believe) but the form says I have to pay £200 for a 3 day course which subs my hotel and travel costs.

Do you think my wage is fair then or would it be financially better to go self employed?

Thank you everyone for yur replies

Sounds fair hun.
Our salon doesnt allow time for setting up and clearing away,if we were working 9-5 for example,we will have clients from 9 and our last will finish at 5,we do allow for a break during that time though which therapists are allowed to pop out if needed etc but setting up and clearing up can be done,we tend to stay later and set up for the next morning before we leave. If therapists are fully booked in the day and wish to stay later than their usual ours to fit clients in then we pay them for them hours they work.

With training we have a years contract to cover,but I guess that depends on salon owners themselves.

Wages in this industry isn't great,but with such flexible hours,great tips and I'm doing my dream job day in day out,I think this quite makes up for it.
I'd rather enjoy going to work every day and manage on a wage, that may not be as much as someone on double my pay dreading going to work and hating their job :)

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Most companies charge for training surely?

nope! some give you free training for, say, 2 therapists. Dermalogica training for example is free.

nope! some give you free training for, say, 2 therapists. Dermalogica training for example is free.

But surely that is with the purchase of products which would cost her boss? St Tropez give free training but that is only with starter kits, the more you spend, they more techs they train. All my girls know if they undergo any training and leave shortly afterwards then hey will be expected to pay a %

The difference is £57 a week. Now you are working 5 hours less so if you take those 5 hours off, which is £33, that leaves a difference of £24. You are getting a bonus of £150 a month which is £37.50 a week and tips of £10-£15 a week. I make that a better hourly rate than you were on before!
I own a salon and if the working day starts a 10 then you are expected to be ready for your client at 10. If we close at 7 then the last client is finished at 7 and you need to tidy up in your own time.
If you over-run on a treatment then you would not get paid for the time you over-ran.
I also have a clause in my contract that if you leave up to 3 months after attending a training course then you have to pay 100% of the course back, 75% up to 6 months, 50% up to 9 months and 25% up to a year.
This is standard in any salon and I think your boss is being more than fair.

Last edited:
I think your boss is being fair and very generous with the timings before/after work. When I worked in the spa we did get paid for the first 30mins set up time if we were on an early shift but that was only one person per day and that was to cover switching on all the wax heaters, PC, getting drinks ready etc. We did get overtime for a while but they stopped that as it was blatantly being abused ! One girl finished at 5pm, sat at reception for FOUR hours chatting up the gym staff, then clocked out !!!

I think your tips are quite low for a salon. I found tips in the spa to be low as everyone was in robes and no cash on them or charged it to the hotel room but I used to make quite a lot from tips in a hair salon and that was just working part time.

I agree two years is a lot, anything over a year I wouldn't expect to pay back.

Theres no chance I'm going to be paying anyone to set up and clean up. Their stuff shouldn't need setting up in te mornings, it should have been put away tidy when they finished with te equipment, and ask for sweeping hair and cleaning bowls etc... That should be done as they go along.
I don't know about beauty salons etc... And I don't know how long a wax pot takes to melt the wax, but I'm sure the owner/manager/supervisor whoever is in charge that day is 15-20 mins early, and if not, what kind of management are they to not be there before opening to check everything is suitable for the day ahead? They can turn it on.

When I'm working, I have to pack away after every client, then unpack for the next. I keep my kit organised, and wash and put away any colour equipment while it's processing, put my scissors away before blowdrying and then all I'm left with is a gown a towel and a dryer to put away. Organisation is key to being quick and leaving before the client gets pi***d because you are taking ages.

So the start up and end times are great, but to be fair, I don't think it's ness asset as all staff should be organised and neat enough to put their dryer and brush in the holder after the last client, take their pennys then leave and let management cash up. Xoxo

I think your boss is being very nice. It's really unusual to start at 10 and have the next 30min just for setting up and same at the end of the day. I wish I had that, then I could leave the salon as soon as I am finished with the last client.
I start at 10 and have to be in the salon 9.40 (20min unpaid). Finish at 7,make sure salon is clean and leave around 7.20(another 20min unpaid).
I know this is the norm at most salons/spas.

I think it sounds completely fair. Whilst training is essential for the salon it still costs the salon money , granted most companies offer free training but the salon owner still has to pay your wages while your out of the salon which means its one less pair of hands there, also there is travel , food expenses and if it means staying in a hotel thats more again. She is extremely generous by allowing time to clean up at the end of the day , most salons (including my own !!) go til the end to get as many customers in as possible, time is money !!!. But listen , all salons work differently in my experience and it is hard to get used to working somewher new you just have to weigh everything up and see is it the place for you:biggrin:

I'd love to work in a beauty salon when I could work 9-5 Monday to friday! And have the set up and clear down time! I must admit your boss does sound fair.

Unfortunately where I work u get expected to come to work 20mins early to set up, warm the salon up and even receive early calls and that was unpaid! And if it got to the end of the day and didn't clean right through after being fully booked all day We would get an ear Full the next day as well as having to clean up your mess before u start your day!

If I We're you I'd be very happy! Much more chilled than a spa environment in my eyes with weekends off! What more could u want?

I must say the tips are quite low, I would usually get around £10 a day on average? But obv that depends on how expensive the treatments are!

Hope it all works for you :)

Latest posts

Back