Is my nail prep the reason gels are lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiakate

Reaction score
Hi geeks, i wondered if someone could provide me with a solution... Recently I've had clients coming back saying their gel has peeled after only a few days, it only happens with a few of my clients and others can go for ages with the gel that i apply. I was perhaps wondering if I'm doing something wrong whilst prepping their nails? or perhaps the layers are to thick? should the base coat be thinly applied and would this be an issue if it wasn't?
Anyway, here are the stages of my prep before i apply the polish:
1.Push back cuticles,
2.Using a buffing block I buff to remove shin
3.Shape the nails using a nail file
4.Using Red Carpet Manicure Purify I wipe clean the nail surface
5.I apply iBD nail dehydrator & ph balancing agent
6.Then i go ahead with the base coat gel capping the edge each time I paint.

If anyone has a photo, could you attatch a photo of what nails should like after they have had the correct gel nail prep?
Thanks in advance!

Are you referring to gel overlays or gel polish?
What products are you using?
What training have you had?

I ask because you say Gel but I believe RCM is gel polish? Its also not a professional product, and you're mixing and matching brands using iBD with RCM which could possibly be your issue. You also do not mention any kind of cuticle remover to remove any surface debris.

Can you clarify please

Hi, thanks for your reply - I should have been more detailed.
I'm referring to Gel polish not overlays, using Ibd polish. I have cuticle remover however only use it if it is needed and so don't use it on every client. I've been on a one day course which I understand is NOT recommended on this site! However I found it really useful and it was convenient with my other commitments. I had heard about mixing brands after I had brought the RCM cleanser however thought it wouldn't be a problem if I used it then bought another bottle after it was finished. If you could recommend another course to go on I would be really appreciative of your advice.

;) I use gellux prep and wipe plus a dehydrated. After I do cuticle work making sure all the debris has gone as this will cause lifting.

;) I use gellux prep and wipe plus a dehydrated. After I do cuticle work making sure all the debris has gone as this will cause lifting.

I done a one day course because I qualified years ago and wanted to retrain and get up to date with the new trends and treatments. But if ive never done anything in the industry before I probably would have done a slightly longer course. But it all depends on you as a person and how confident you are in doing the treatments to people.
Even after I retrained I kept going treatments on friends and family to gain more confidence before I go other paying clients.

Hi geeks, i wondered if someone could provide me with a solution... Recently I've had clients coming back saying their gel has peeled after only a few days, it only happens with a few of my clients and others can go for ages with the gel that i apply. I was perhaps wondering if I'm doing something wrong whilst prepping their nails? or perhaps the layers are to thick? should the base coat be thinly applied and would this be an issue if it wasn't?
1.Push back cuticles,

If anyone has a photo, could you attatch a photo of what nails should like after they have had the correct gel nail prep?
Thanks in advance!

I think you're doing too many different things. I think you need to find a product you like, no love, and stick with that.
Using red carpet this, Ibd that. That product is it you actually want to use?

Also your PEP is the most important thing. You need to make sure you're removing all the non living tissue or this will stop your product adhering to the natural nail.

I used CND Shellac, I love it! There cuticle work is super easy and the products for it are great it removes everything off the natural nail. Also NO BUFFING, who wants there nails buffing every two weeks... Surely that's gonna do more damage than good?!
Also no pH bond/primer. Just one product called scrub fresh that you wipe over the nail!

Maybe research into a few brands and decided which full brand you'd like to use.

I think you're doing too many different things. I think you need to find a product you like, no love, and stick with that.
Using red carpet this, Ibd that. That product is it you actually want to use?

Also your PEP is the most important thing. You need to make sure you're removing all the non living tissue or this will stop your product adhering to the natural nail.

I used CND Shellac, I love it! There cuticle work is super easy and the products for it are great it removes everything off the natural nail. Also NO BUFFING, who wants there nails buffing every two weeks... Surely that's gonna do more damage than good?!
Also no pH bond/primer. Just one product called scrub fresh that you wipe over the nail!

Maybe research into a few brands and decided which full brand you'd like to use.
Wow thank you, that was really helpful! I've researched and decided that it would be beneficial to stick with IBD as I have a huge collection already and prefer the way it applies. I need to buy the cleanser and power bond then I can think about starting up again. X

Maybe contact them see if they offer courses would be a great little refresher and you know youre doing everything correctly and using the correct products!

1.Push back cuticles,

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sophia

There are be various factor that cause premature lifting from application to client after care etc.

Usually if it was an application problem it would be happening on every client, if the majority of your clients are getting on well and their nails are lasting then it may be that the few who are experiencing premature lifting may need something more durable.

Other nail techs like yourself who have experienced this problem have used iZ gel from Izabelle Hammon with their existing nail systems and found their problems have been solved. iZ gel is a clear gel then is applied directly to the natural nail and cured under LED or UV light it can also be used to replace the top coat of your gel varnish system and can be used with nail varnish too. It soaks off and leaves no damage if applied and removed correctly.

If you would like a sample get in touch with Izabelle Hammon Ltd.

Katie

Hi Sophia

There are be various factor that cause premature lifting from application to client after care etc.

Usually if it was an application problem it would be happening on every client, if the majority of your clients are getting on well and their nails are lasting then it may be that the few who are experiencing premature lifting may need something more durable.

Other nail techs like yourself who have experienced this problem have used iZ gel from Izabelle Hammon with their existing nail systems and found their problems have been solved. iZ gel is a clear gel then is applied directly to the natural nail and cured under LED or UV light it can also be used to replace the top coat of your gel varnish system and can be used with nail varnish too. It soaks off and leaves no damage if applied and removed correctly.

If you would like a sample get in touch with Izabelle Hammon Ltd.

Katie
Thanks Katie very helpful! X

What lamp are you using?

Latest posts

Back