Is the beauty industry for me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geowills

Reaction score
Hi there I'm looking for some advice. I have just gone into full time work in a lovely beauty salon in my area. I previously worked there for a year on reception and loved it. Now I have started working as a therapist I sometimes like the job but a lot of the time I don't enjoy it. I work really wierd hours which I don't 100% like but I'm unable to change them at the moment. I love the girls I work with but the job in general I just have no motivation for. Everyone I work with are at such high standard and I don't feel good enough- yet I have no motivation to even be as good as them. I keep thinking beauty actually isn't the right route for me and maybe I rushed into it. But maybe it's because I have just started. But surely I should be loving it? I keep looking at other careers and feel happy and relief when I do. I'm just hoping someone I don't know could maybe give me some advice. Thanks

Sorry to hear that :( Maybe you stick with the beauty salon environment but go back to being a receptionist?

Don't do anything rash!. Go and talk to your boss, tell them how you're feeling, their reaction will tell you if you're in the right place too. If I had a new therapist who felt like you my advice would be to stick with us for six months, it takes a little while to get used to salon life and everything you have to learn. College does not prepare you for the salon, all new therapists feel overwhelmed and scared. I have a member of staff who has been with me for two years, who started at the begining of her college course. She was so terrified at the start she would shake like a leaf. She is now one of the finest therapists I have ever met in 30 years of doing this.

Give things a chance but get the support you need.

Hi there I'm looking for some advice. I have just gone into full time work in a lovely beauty salon in my area. I previously worked there for a year on reception and loved it. Now I have started working as a therapist I sometimes like the job but a lot of the time I don't enjoy it. I work really wierd hours which I don't 100% like but I'm unable to change them at the moment. I love the girls I work with but the job in general I just have no motivation for. Everyone I work with are at such high standard and I don't feel good enough- yet I have no motivation to even be as good as them. I keep thinking beauty actually isn't the right route for me and maybe I rushed into it. But maybe it's because I have just started. But surely I should be loving it? I keep looking at other careers and feel happy and relief when I do. I'm just hoping someone I don't know could maybe give me some advice. Thanks
Hey

Ok so i ended up coming out of the industry after 10years of being in it full time. I had done all my official quals and gone onto do a foundation degree. Il be honest there was always something at the back of my head that realllly didnt feel satisfied after a days work but all i kept saying was well i cant just bail after all the effort id put in. I could tell you all the horror stories that i experienced in some of the salons i worked in but i would be here all day.

So this time last year i finally got real with myself and quit and went to do a job in a shop just selling products..and omg i had the best time ever. I realised how much damage id taken mentally and physically from the Beauty industry and within 6months felt like a happier and more overall physically well person.

Theres people out there that work until their 60 and are happy and then theres people who quit after 2 weeks of being in the industry and then theres the people like me who are too stubborn to admit its not for them and just keep going hoping things will change.

If your not happy then dont do it. You have to listen to that little voice inside and not waste your time. Dont make my mistakes because im telling you its pointless. You end up going from job to job thinking itl get better and well your never satisfied. So all i can say is sit down with a pen and paper and write down the things that interest you deeply and follow that route instead. As i say just get real with yourself lol

After all its really not a big deal as i found out 10years later..Just listen to yourself and please dont waste your time. Really not worth the stress and hassle.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back