Is there a minimum length for successful Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I only ask this because I have had 2 ladies who have found Shellac started coming off the next day (1 nail) and were all off in a week.

They both had in common that they have very short nails, short to the point of only having a tidgy free edge. I did my best to seal them though and thought I had been successful, but as these two are the only ladies I have had this problem with, I'm wondering if it's the length.

Would it have been better to have told them to wait till their nails were a bit longer? Trouble is that's why they came - because they can't get them much longer than that.

The other thing is that they both work at the same Doctors Surgery. Could that have a bearing?

I would be asking why their nails were so short to begin with...

Were they biters/nibblers?

Or were they thin weak and broke?

Either of these could be the reason shellac (or any other service) would struggle ...

When clients have very short nails that are hard to seal, I use nail forms. It means you can seal the free edge without getting loads on the skin that when you clean up you could then break that seal. I tend to use the form to push skin away and use as a skin barrier.

E xx

Hi,

I Shellac my mum who has no free edge to her nails as she needs to keep them this short for work. I find she still manages to get two weeks and only chips the edge when she picks at things!!! Grrr :biggrin:

Using a form sounds like. Great idea as I was always worried about the free edge xx

When clients have very short nails that are hard to seal, I use nail forms. It means you can seal the free edge without getting loads on the skin that when you clean up you could then break that seal. I tend to use the form to push skin away and use as a skin barrier.

E xx

Great idea, I shall try that. Do you think typing would affect it?

I have a regular client who types all day long and she keeps her Shellac on Short nails for 3 weeks!

Just be careful when using the forms -it's hard to explain but when you use them you don't want to rely on it too much, just to seal the edge by using form to seperate skin from tip. if there is a lot of excess Shellac on the form it will be there when you remove it and that will a. Look terrible and b. you will need to remove this excess and then will break seal and cause lifting from free edge.

It's really hard to explain but if you try it you will see what I mean lol!

I know Gigi (Geeg) recommended once using the forms for short nails so hopefully she will see this and kind of get what I'm trying to say. Either that or tell me I'm doing it wrong!

E xx

Latest posts

Back