Is there always room for improvement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstruman

Reaction score
Hi geeks
just wondering how long it took you to reach your full potential at doing nails, get them looking their best. I have been doing nails now for just under 2 years and occasionally i will not be happy with a set i have done and think i could of done those better, is there always room for improvement or do we all just reach a certain level and then thats it i sometimes get disheartened and think im not actually that good, although i do have a good regular clientelle so i know im doing something right. I really do love doing nails but then look at some of the nails that some of you guys have done and think i could never do them that good. Anyone else ever feel like this lol

Last edited:
Hi there

In at about the same time as you in the nail business, not a long time but I'm sure as me compared to the first set there is huge improvement :)
However there are days when it all falls together beautifully others are just not.
I do feel though that you never stop learning, there are always new products as well as new formulation on existing ones to keep us on our toes. I love it. Keeps the grey matter working and everything stays fresh and exciting.
It will be interesting to see the more experienced geeks say.

I vicki xx

My nails have absolutly improved since i first started, my god they were awful, i think im just having a bad week this week, ive decided im definatly going to do a cnd conversion course, they seem to be the best for education so maybe they will give me some new tips and advice.

IME the longer you've been doing nails the higher your expectations are and the pickier you get!! I've been doing this 7 years and I still do sets or rebalances that I look at and think 'blah'...... My clients are happy though which I guess is what matters.....

I sometimes turn out a kick-ass set that I love but mainly I stilll see my flaws...

Yep, always room for improvement.

I've been doing nails for 14 years and still look at some I've done and think they could be better. I still get the biters that drive me mad, and although 99.9% of my clients don't have lifting or breaking problems, I still get the odd one and it still drives me to insanity until I crack it!

There is ALWAYS room for improvement!

"Good, better, best,
Never let it rest,
Until your goods better,
And your betters best!" :D

Always room to improve, as soon as you are 100% delighted & think you are the best ever at nails with nothing more to learn... give it up it's all downhill from that point!
We need to keep up to date with everything & consolidate everything we think we know to get to the top of our game & stay there x

My philsophy is "when you quit learning, you are dead". Of course, there are many times that I'm not 100% happy with my work. We are our worse critics. Most of the time our clients won't notice, but we know. I also know it isn't healthy to expect perfection. Would never be happy then and it would take too long to do something. We are all flawed in some way so to expect our nails to be perfect isn't very realistic either.

With anything we do, there's always room for improvement, even with the very basic aspects. I've been doing nails on and off since I was 16... It's gonna be going on 11 years soon since I've been introduced to the world of nails and I still feel I have lots to learn, and I know I'm not perfect, but I try my hardest to be the best I can. There's always changes, always new and improved products and methods. You just have to keep at it til the very basic becomes second nature.

Some technicians are easily pleased and never improve!

The technicians who are artists see every flaw .. But only they can see them.

We are not machines or doing assembly-line work on the same foundation every day. Our canvas changes with every single client that walks through the door. Of course we 'picky' types are not going to be 100% happy with every set we do, but as long as the client is happy that is the main thing. We may not be thrilled with a set, but that does not mean that set is a disaster either ... I've never had an outright disaster! We see what we do with a technician's eyes not a clients' eyes.

Do your best with the canvas you have, every time ... That will give you satisfaction. It is just not possible to make every set perfect ... What is perfect anyway?

Thanks everyone for your replys, i actually had a great day today so hopefully i will continue this way, thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back