Is this a silly move?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForYou

Reaction score
Hey geeks,

I finished college May just gone and we covered tanning both spray and manual. I couldn't get the hang of spray so I chose to do manual for my assessment.

Now I have started my mobile business I am thinking it would be good to add tanning as a treatment. I don't really want to pay for another course so I was thinking of just choosing a brand and buying a kit and maybe have like a tanning party with my friends to practiae on.

I still have all my notes from college with positions , tips etc but is this a bad or idea or is there anything that I definitely need to remember to so during the process?

Thanks ladies x

Are you covered by your insurance to do spray if you didn't do this in your assessment? If you are, go for it. You've nothing to lose x

I went on the fake bake course as it only cost £50 and it was local. They went through contra indications, all the products they offer then you watched their you tube video before spraying each other! Personally if you've been trained just buy the kit! I learnt more by filling my basic spraying kit with water and messing around with kit than the course which I paid £50 for a you tube video I previously watched! To be fair it was a laugh and they're there for support if needed but the only support I needed was how to use the gun which they can't give you!

I went on the fake bake course as it only cost £50 and it was local. They went through contra indications, all the products they offer then you watched their you tube video before spraying each other! Personally if you've been trained just buy the kit! I learnt more by filling my basic spraying kit with water and messing around with kit than the course which I paid £50 for a you tube video I previously watched! To be fair it was a laugh and they're there for support if needed but the only support I needed was how to use the gun which they can't give you!
This is where finding a good course comes in (& mine was a similar priced course).
At my training I had to take my 'client' into a room and fill out the consultation card, then double check the contra indications to ensure I could proceed with the treatment. After this I watched the trainer spray someone (while my 'client' finished a cup of tea and got ready to be sprayed in another room) and then I sprayed my 'client' & went through the aftercare with them.
While my 'client' dressed the trainer took me & showed me how to adjust my gun to get more or less solution through and then we took it apart & cleaned it after the tan and she showed me how to put it back together. I even had the chance to dismantle my gun and put it back together twice just to get the routine in my mind while she cleared up the training room after I had finished my course.
I had a little trouble a few weeks after training and a quick call to the trainer sorted my trouble as she just talked me through the routine & I realised that I had forgotten 1 simple thing and that was what was causing my issue.
I think a good trainer & course is a must to eliminate the hours and hours spent fixing mistakes from a poor course.

Yeah I'd agree! You certainly found a decent trainer! I think some people need more support than others too! I assumed fake bake being a decent brand would be decent enough! But I also knew at £50 not to expect too much! It was advertised as 9.30 till 3 but we was done by 12!
I think some over charge too! There's a course advertising a days training at £150+ so you obviously get what you pay for. I didn't need much client support as most beauticians get that at collage! If your brand new to it then it's a must!

I think my insurance does cover me but I will double check. At college we covered contra indications, aftercare advice and also how to tell the client to prepare before the tan.

If I buy a kit will it come with instructions on how to put the gun together and how much solution to use etc? I live in London so I got a feeling the courses may cost an arm and a leg.

I guess I could check utube aswell though. Thank u ladies x

Hey, if u need anyone to practice on depending where abouts in Croydon you are, give me a shout? Was wondering if u fancy meeting up sometime as I don't know any other beauticians and cud do with practising too as I've just restarted up x

Hey, if u need anyone to practice on depending where abouts in Croydon you are, give me a shout? Was wondering if u fancy meeting up sometime as I don't know any other beauticians and cud do with practising too as I've just restarted up x

Ahh that would be amazing. Im close to ikea if u know it? What's your facebook and I can add so we can chat n meet up etc xx

I think my insurance does cover me but I will double check. At college we covered contra indications, aftercare advice and also how to tell the client to prepare before the tan.

If I buy a kit will it come with instructions on how to put the gun together and how much solution to use etc? I live in London so I got a feeling the courses may cost an arm and a leg.

No the machines don't usually come with instructions on how to adjust them or clean them & nothing about how much solution to use or what solution to buy etc.... It's usually just the machine in a box.
You should be able to find training for around the £50 mark wherever you are (I'm sure my training was £50 or £55) but I would ask questions of the trainers before booking to make sure you know what you are going to get for your money.
If you don't ask you won't get - I would definatley find out if they will walk you through a gun if you buy your kit from them as most trainers will offer a start up package for an extra fee & then you can use that kit on the training day (this means you would get a chance to adjust the gun & even if it is not a part of the course I would just be cheeky & ask them to help you clean it through after the course before you pack it up to go home).

If your insurance covers you then I'd also say go for it and just begin by practising on your friends.

You mentioned that you did manual, are you going to offer that style of application to your clients too? We have quite a few therapists that do professional applications manually using our Tanning Mousse with a Mitt, as some clients prefer that option to a traditional spray tan.

Contouring is also going to be a popular method of tanning application for the 2016 season, so if you can practice/master that style of application it may serve you well as the beauty press start to cover it more this year.

Al

Moroccan tan are offering a free spray tan course with purchase of their kit.
A friend of mine uses their products and can't rate it highly enough.
Give S2 a call if you are interested. x

I'm not sure about the manual I think it could be too messy doing it mobile. I would be paranoid that I leave bits of scrub around or somethng but I do enjoy doing it.

Oh I have never heard of contouring I will defo look into that and the morrocan tan offer.

Thanks ladies x

So I thought I would just update this post rather than starting a new one lole.

So I bought a kit and did a tan on a friend yesterday. At first it was coming out speckly but I soon realised I was too far and I had to turn the nozzle on my gun. The tan came out nice BUT her hands and feet are stained with tan which I dnt get why because I applied barrier cream AND she wore sticky feet.

What do I do to prevent this next time? Or could it be that the barrier cream is crap or is it me?

Help would be appreciated xx

I always apply oil free barrier as you said you did. I just use a nivia lotion and give a generous amount for their hands first like a hand wash motion with more on palm, nails and between fingers first, then a little lighter on top of hand and lighter again around wrist slightly. When spraying move the gun further away for feet n hands. Get her to do a 'claw' for hands and point toes/foot then move further away than how you would spray body. It just 'mists' those areas then. You tube have a fakebake application video, it might be easier to watch than make out what I said. Once finished I give them a baby wipe for their palms. I rarely have problems but I've heard others say sometimes their hairdressers clients hands don't take the same as the products they use daily counteracts the tanner in someway. Maybe its your client using something rarther than your application. Try on someone else to eliminate your application or barrier before giving this client another go. Hope you work out what might of caused it

After reading it again it also sounds like you might be over spraying in someway? Was your tent becoming cloudy with tan solution?
There's a round knob by the trigger which adjusts the amount of spray and there's another one on the end of the nozzle which adjust the way in which the tan fans out ie a narrow controlled fan to more of a wide spray. If its come out in a large spray then it sounds like the solution wont be as controlled in the application causing it to land on her feet and causes tan to cloud around the tent. If the nozzle is turned to far into a tight fan with too much solution amount then once the solution hits the body it will bounce off again causing the same effect.

you should hold up a tan remover wipe and ask your client to rub there hands together with the wipe in-between then wipe over all nails. and advise them NOT to touch themselves until the solution is washed off after 8 hrs.

Hey guys,

For some reason I didn't see your replies until know. I did a tan on the same person again using morrocan tan and all went well. This time I did a trial and error with vaseline as barrier cream and it worked wonders. Her feet were fine and there was no speckles when I applied the tab. Thanks for ur advice ladies x

Have a look at Salon Services courses. Although I trained 5 years ago, I wanted to do a referesher course and try another product and I've just been on the White to Brown course (they are held all over the country) and this one was half price - only £25!! It was an excellent course and covered everything you need to know. I felt it was more informative than the Sienna X course I originally attended.

You have to have to be qualified with a certificate to be insured for spray tanning. Having this behind you gives more confidence and professional [emoji171][emoji171]

Latest posts

Back